Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Sofia, Bulgaria

Suggestions for Sofia, Bulgaria

Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Small world: as I type this my fiancé and I are on our flight back home to the US from IST, ATH, and OTP. (Sighisoara to be precise.) Beautiful, all three. We're somewhere over Scotland, though after this much champagne the map blurs a bit.

He's still peeved that I'm taking this next quick solo trip back to Europe in a couple weeks. To him the concept of a mileage run falls somewhere between foreign and absurd....
You chose wisely indeed! Sighisoara was my favourite by far during my visit to Transsylvania - absolutely magical. Candlelight dinner in Dracula's birth house with no other guests than us would have been the highlight if they hadn't refused to turn off the Irish music..
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
You chose wisely indeed! Sighisoara was my favourite by far during my visit to Transsylvania - absolutely magical. Candlelight dinner in Dracula's birth house with no other guests than us would have been the highlight if they hadn't refused to turn off the Irish music..
We had a nearly identical experience in a restaurant across the courtyard, as well as at our hotel breakfast and at lunch a day earlier in Brasov. Isn't it odd how they have such exquisite taste in everything but music? Fortunately I had the Brahms Piano Quintet in F minor for playback in our hotel room.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:59 pm

I'm going to be in Sofia, Bulgaria for four days in the fall and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions: either must-see tourist experiences off the beaten path, or GLBT-centric stuff.

I'm not really a nightlife person, but I'd love to meet local gay folks as long as they speak English. Gay.bg seems like a good place to start. I don't suppose there are any expats in Sofia reading this?
Eric, how was your trip to Sofia? Any insights as to what to do? I'm going with a friend in March, doing Bucharest for a couple of days and then driving or taking the train to Sofia. I'm just starting to do some research and came across this thread.

Cheers!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Glad someone else finds it useful! I had a magical trip: believe it or not, I used Grindr (!) to meet an amazing companion for a -- totally platonic! -- weekend of sightseeing and fun. Apparently everyone uses Grindr there instead of websites, so you meet all kinds. He got to practice his English and also got a free seat at the opera for his trouble.

The city center is much more lovely than the online tour guides would have you believe. There were some protests -- one of them was a little scary -- but otherwise things were calm.

One thing I'd recommend without hesitation is the Free Sofia Tour. The guides are energetic and knowledgable, and they give a great overview of the city.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:00 pm

Glad someone else finds it useful! I had a magical trip: believe it or not, I used Grindr (!) to meet an amazing companion for a -- totally platonic! -- weekend of sightseeing and fun. Apparently everyone uses Grindr there instead of websites, so you meet all kinds. He got to practice his English and also got a free seat at the opera for his trouble.

The city center is much more lovely than the online tour guides would have you believe. There were some protests -- one of them was a little scary -- but otherwise things were calm.

One thing I'd recommend without hesitation is the Free Sofia Tour. The guides are energetic and knowledgable, and they give a great overview of the city.
Hahah... glad to hear it went well specially because of grinder ^ and thanks for the info, will make sure to look at the Free Sofia Tour.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.