Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling in China

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Hubby and I went to China in Nov 18, when we arrived in PEK, we both got messages asking if we wanted to pay $10/day to access our data plan, I said Yes, and hubby said no. The whole trip I had access to Facebook, was able to post live feed without any problems. So it's possible to get around the Chinese when I got back to the states the following month there was a $10 fee per day on my statement.
Fact is, apps and websites are blocked in China as was our personal experience. Also, see below.

https://money.cnn.com/gallery/techno...hina-10/4.html
https://startuplivingchina.com/list-...blocked-china/
https://www.bloomberg.com/quicktake/...ewall-of-china
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/06/t...-internet.html

etc.

Whether your particular combo of device/plan /carrier/apps-installed allowed you to access Facebook is irrelevant as things may have changed from last year and/or the OP or those interested won't be able to replicate exactly your combo of circumstances that allowed you accessing Facebook (which was not the original question, btw)

My advice for people traveling to China: be prepared with a good VPN and international plan before you depart, but do expect to possibly being disappointed of not being able to access certain apps. It is China. They are not loosening but toughening up on its restrictions. It is what it is.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Hubby and I went to China in Nov 18, when we arrived in PEK, we both got messages asking if we wanted to pay $10/day to access our data plan, I said Yes, and hubby said no. The whole trip I had access to Facebook, was able to post live feed without any problems. So it's possible to get around the Chinese when I got back to the states the following month there was a $10 fee per day on my statement.
Sounds like you have Verizon? That's their usual offer for me when I travel internationally, unless I previously set up an international plan.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
I find ExpressVPN to be robust and reliable in China and the ME, plus it works on computer and mobile. And the 12.95 USD monthly fee is sure a lot cheaper than 10 USD/day.
carlosdca likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
For married guys - did you apply as married or single?
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by samwise6222
For married guys - did you apply as married or single?
We didn't have any issue applying for the visa as a couple. Since we have a toddler, the consulate requested for the marriage license and the birth certificate of our kid as well.
We didn't have any issue traveling within China either. we were in sanya, hongkong and chengdu.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by carlosdca
My advice for people traveling to China: be prepared with a good VPN and international plan before you depart, but do expect to possibly being disappointed of not being able to access certain apps. It is China. They are not loosening but toughening up on its restrictions. It is what it is.
I've been to China twice, in Nov 2016 (Beijing) and Dec 2017 (Shanghai). My iPhone is unlocked. When I arrived at the airport, I simply bought a SIM card there. The person there installed it for me and made sure it worked.

As noted, some apps, such as Facebook, Instagram, and anything Google related, mostly don't work. If I wanted to use maps, I simply used the Apple maps (which works well for me, since that is integrated with my Apple Watch).
I never had any problems using WhatsApp, nor with sending SMS messages (mostly through iMessage). Prior to leaving, I briefed family that I would be mostly incommunicado, and I would contact one sister (who has an iPhone) who could pass the word around.
Expecially in 2016, I found that sometimes it can be a good thing to disconnect from social media (I left for Beijing the day after the 2016 election )
Any map app is handy; I took a bus from PEK to my hotel, and I was able to follow along and make sure I didn't miss my stop (some stops were very brief, and announcements weren't in English). When using the metro to visit tourist sites, the app will tell you specifically which exit to use (either numbered or lettered), and mostly step-by-step from there (with my watch I didn't have to take my phone out of my pocket, simply look down and follow along).

Some hotels have a VPN in place so you are able to use some things while at the hotel. I mostly stay at Hilton properties, and the Doubletree in Shanghai did allow me to use Google while on hotel WiFi.

I'm heading back to China in a few weeks, just for a quick mileage run (3-nights). This time I have our home VPN set up on both my iPhone and laptop...it will be interesting to see what happens. It certainly won't be the end of the world if I can't use Facebook for a few days.

There's several threads in both the Technology and China forums with more info on using phones and computers in China.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I came home from Shanghai last Monday, and ExpressVPN worked great to get onto blocked websites. I noticed that in order to get on a China based webpage, I had to turn off the VPN. It did run kind of slow, but I have an older iPhone (5S), so that may have been why.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:37 am

When I was there two weeks ago, I put my phone in airplane mode and used the app OsmAnd. I downloaded maps for the three cities I visited (you are allowed seven downloaded area on the free version of the app). It was quite helpful when roaming around Beijing, Shanghai, and Hangzhou.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.