Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Folsom Fair 2012 falls a week earlier . . .

Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, IHG Platinum, One Man Street Fair in my spare time

For all you diligent planners - read about it here:

http://sfist.com/2011/12/22/folsom_s...hanged_for.php

Folsom Street fair is on Sunday, September 23, 2012.

Castro Street Fair is two weeks later on Sunday, October 7, 2012.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I looked for the date on the FF website the other day and it mentioned that possibility, but no explanation as to why? Any idea? (and thanks for the update)
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, IHG Platinum, One Man Street Fair in my spare time
The why is because Oracle Open World sucked up all the hotel rooms over the last weekend of September, which is when FSF is usually held.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ebayj
The why is because Oracle Open World sucked up all the hotel rooms over the last weekend of September, which is when FSF is usually held.
It is really hard for me to get away from the office at month end and seeing how Southern Decadence and Folsom fall this year, the change in dates makes going both events (I attend both yearly) a lot easier.

I remember a few years ago there was a large ADA convention going on and hotel rooms were really hard to find. This year there was some large convention going on and a few hotels were booked but I was able to get a room at the SF Hilton at least
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Having gone to Folsom the last five years, I'm thinking 2012 might be one to skip. Not because of the date change but because, as Margaret Cho's mom says, if you do it all the time, then it not special.

Then again, I'll probably be tempted by airfare sales come July or August, just like the last five years.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Any good hotel promos during that weekend yet this year?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
MAL for 2013 is also a week earlier this year due to the inaugeration.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:12 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
Any good hotel promos during that weekend yet this year?
Good luck. I have been watching for months, and hotel pricing is way high for that weekend.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Good luck. I have been watching for months, and hotel pricing is way high for that weekend.
There is an Oracle convention the week after so a lot of people could be coming in early to visit the city. Last year rates during folsom were expensive if you could find a hotel. I think there was a convention either the week before or after, and Parc was sold out and so was the holiday inn at the civic center. I paid a lot to stay at the Hilton and ended up taking a red eye home sunday after folsom to save on an extra nights hotel due to the rates being so high. For people living in the east that is a great way to save on a hotel. Fair is over around 6 and that gives you plenty of time to grab something to eat, grab your bags at the hotel and take bart back to SFO.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by tatterdema
My experience as well.
Hotel rates for Folsom Weekend have always been very high in the last 5 years.
$169+tax and above for anything decent.

I have stayed in the tenderloin area for $120 + tax once. Motel style hotel. Hotel was clean and comfortable. But you have be ready to stomach the sketchiness of the area.

Anything in Union Square, Embarcadero, Downtown, Civic Center will be very expensive or, if cheap, rats&roaches paradise.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by carlosdca
My experience as well.

I have stayed in the tenderloin area for $120 + tax once. Motel style hotel. Hotel was clean and comfortable. But you have be ready to stomach the sketchiness of the area.

Anything in Union Square, Embarcadero, Downtown, Civic Center will be very expensive or, if cheap, rats&roaches paradise.
This is when miles or hotel points are meant to be used
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Maybe we need to have a mini-do meet up the Saturday night before for whomever is in town for Folsom. I'd be willing to coordinate.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
This is when miles or hotel points are meant to be used
I used SkyMiles for four nights at the Holiday Inn in SoMa for Folsom. I looked into AirBNB and found some deals, but I had the miles to spare.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlosdca
My experience as well.

I used Priceline for Folsom Weekend. Got the Kimpton near Union sq. for much less than the going rate.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 2:55 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I used Priceline for Folsom Weekend. Got the Kimpton near Union sq. for much less than the going rate.
and your rate was...?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.