Search

How gay friendly is Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite *G, AF/KLM FB Elite+, A|Club Platinum, HH G
Question How gay friendly is Paris?

Hey everyone!

Me and my boyfriend are going on a trip to Paris soon and I wanted to know how gay friendly Paris is in terms like, gay couples holding hands together and giving each other small pecks on the lips during a stroll in the city or just visiting the monuments?

I read mostly that Paris is very gay friendly, but want to have some reassurance. Of course being in the city of love (cheesy :P) I just want to have a good time with my BF and enjoy the time with him and not worry too much. It would be nice to hear some experiences!

Thanks!

Davedior
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by davedior
Me and my boyfriend are going on a trip to Paris soon and I wanted to know how gay friendly Paris is in terms like, gay couples holding hands together and giving each other small pecks on the lips during a stroll in the city or just visiting the monuments?
You'll be completely fine.

The French are not always big on PDA such as holding hands/kissing in the street, but you won't be treated any differently for being gay. Go, and enjoy!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I've lived in Paris, and can attest to it being very gay friendly.

There's a large North African population and growing Muslim population, but they usually keep to themselves - even though it's not widely accepted in their culture.

The Parisians, as a whole, don't like drawing attention to themselves - which is why they're not overly affectionate in public. They'll frown on you if you're too sloppy (save the making out for the hotel). Otherwise, they're very tolerant. Holding hands, kisses, hands on each others' laps should be fine.

Email me if you need any travel/city info.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:25 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
They don't call it gay Paris for nothing. Just as in any metropolis have your wits about you.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: UA 1K
Quartier Marais

I stayed in the Marais district near the Notre Dame and the Chatalet Les Halles metro station which takes you directly to CDG airport. It's walking distance from the clubs. I had a nice dinner at Le Gai Moulin. The owner was bragging at how attractive and smart the French were. Paris had a gay mayor a few years ago. Have fun.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Very gay-friendly, in my experience, though it's been a couple years since I was there. Not as open as perhaps San Francisco, but just as open as London or Berlin, with better food and more handsome men, As someone else mentioned, there are lots of North Africans who live there who, depending on their mood, can give you a hard time or else be as friendly as anyone else.

More generally, I think the most offensive thing (to a French person) would be if you went through life (as a gay person) handicapping yourself because of what other people think, not sharing a peck on the cheek with your same-sex spouse or enjoying things together because 'won't that create a scene?'

To be safe, stay in the Marais district and maybe the Left Bank near the Seine. Paris, btw, is my favorite place, I think. Have fun!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by davedior
Been there, done that, it's a quite gay friendly city. Don't worry at all.

For a French definition of "friendly", that is
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite *G, AF/KLM FB Elite+, A|Club Platinum, HH G
Thank you guys for all these nice replies and advice!! Feel better now and definitely will enjoy it!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:25 am

Awww, this made me think of the young gay couple holding hands in the Duomo in Milan just last weekend. Not one look of disgust in this holiest of places. Bless.

I've often spent short periods in Paris and indeed you might see couples of any gender holding hands. It's a BIG city with no clearly defined "gay" area so just go with what feels good (within public deceny reasons).

In fact I can't think of any major cities anymore where two guys or girls holding hands would be considered dangerous within touristy areas. Crazy ol' 21st century!

A final Paris tip, since this sounds like your first time - if you're going to do the Top 5 tourist stuff, book NOW! The Eiffel Tower, etc etc. are all bookable, and it's wise to do so unless you love holding hands.... in queues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.