Help me spend 8 vacation days

Old Feb 4, 11, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Help me spend 8 vacation days

I have to take 8 days off between now and June 30, or I lose them. A planned trip to South Africa in May to visit friends fell through, so now my dear husband & I don't know where to go.

We have the existential FlyerTalk problem. We love to travel, but don't want to waste time & money on pure mileage runs or another beach vacation. That just seems gratuitous at this point. We love visiting friends, but have recently seen most of our far-away besties.

So I'm looking for suggestions -- reasons for us to travel within North America. What's your favorite restaurant in the whole country, even if it's in some out of the way place? What art exhibit do you wish you could take in? What performance is worth a trip to check out? What festival or fair is amazingly cool? Where have you been awed by the architecture? Where do you long to go back to?

I'm asking here because we have pretty typically gay sensibilities, and we always enjoy grabbing a drink at a gay bar at the end of the day.

Thanks in advance for your help!
David

Last edited by IndyDavid; Feb 4, 11 at 10:44 am
Old Feb 4, 11, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about Buenos Aires, at least the US dollar will go farther. I very beautiful city with a European charm. You can rent an amazing apartment for that time.
Old Feb 4, 11, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
How about Buenos Aires, at least the US dollar will go farther. I very beautiful city with a European charm. You can rent an amazing apartment for that time.
+1 +1 +1.. love BA

I wouldn't want to spend 8 days in the US, but if I had to I'd probably go southwest and a combo of Austin/ Scottsdale/ Santa Fe for a mix of food, hiking and spa.
Old Feb 4, 11, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Great ideas. Last time we were in BsAs I was bored and hungry -- eating at 11 p.m. takes some getting used to. I did buy a gorgeous leather blazer in Palermo Viejo tho. We're thinking about the U.S. this time because we don't want to burn miles to upgrade, nor suffer in coach on long overnight flights.

What about a handful of long weekend destinations? More miles that way.
Old Feb 5, 11, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold; DL Silver Medallion; UA/US no metal; Hyatt Gold; PC Plat Amb; SPG Plat; HHonors Gold
If you're looking for a domestic alternative I read yesterday in the American Way Magazine about a Frank Lloyd Wright retrospective at the Milwaukee Art Museum from 2/12-5/15. I've never been there myself but have wanted to see it with its Calatrava wings that come out to shield it from the sun. Plus, there are a number of FLW homes in the area, which would make a nice 4 or 5 day weekend.
Old Feb 5, 11, 2:02 pm

Chicago has everything you say you want.

Some of the world's finest restaurants, the ART INSTITUTE with the largest collection of French Impressionists outside Paris, important architecture, world class opera , symphony and theater, a vibrant public gay life, top notch hotels, every kind of shopping imaginable.

The weather in April and May is (usually) gorgeous. The city is one of the world's most walkable, public transportation easy and cabs everywhere.

Stay in the North Michigan Avenue/ Near North/ Gold Coast area.
Old Feb 7, 11, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
What about a nice sun vacation? Club Atlantis Cancun (in April):

http://atlantisevents.com/Club-Atlan...ort/8#overview
Old Feb 7, 11, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
New Orleans might be a place you would enjoy as well. The weather should be nice there during jazz festival.
Old Feb 7, 11, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
I vote for Curacao! I went for a meeting site visit and fell in love with the island. If you want more information feel free to PM me.
Old Feb 7, 11, 4:46 pm

If you want to stay stateside, I'd vote for New Orleans. It's very gay-friendly, restaurants are fantastic, architecture is beautiful, plenty of quality and unique museums, great non-chain shopping, good hotels, excellent value, and it's the most unique city in America. Springtime weather is fantastic. I recommend going either before Mardi Gras week (when there are still parades but much easier to get around) or for Jazz Fest or French Quarter Fest.
Old Feb 8, 11, 10:34 am

Programs: Priceline Titanium
A very specific perspective, but SF Ballet is doing Artifact Suite the first weekend in March - it's a ballet I would travel for (and am) - and it's a great food town and a great weekend destination - at least from NYC where travel connections are simple.

I know NYC is anticlimactic from upstate, but the things I would travel to see here are all in late Spring - particularly Alina Cojocaru dancing Giselle at ABT over memorial day weekend.
Old Feb 8, 11, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

These are great suggestions so far -- thanks all. For a complete record, here are another friend's recommendations who sent them via e-mail. Keep 'em coming!
--
If you have never been to Wrigley Field, you should go. Even for people that do not like baseball, it is always an entertaining afternoon in the bleachers. Plus as you know, you can enjoy the Chicago architecture and good food. Deep dish pizza is what I love to get in Chicago. The renovated Art institute is worth a trip too.

I want to get back to Denali National Park in Alaska.

I want to return to Napa-and finally visit the Oregon vineyards.

I still have not been to a performance at Disney Hall. I enjoyed the LA Phil at the Chandler. The performances at Disney must be amazing. I yearn to lounge amongst the Antiquities at the Old Getty and once again enjoy the views from the new Getty on a clear day.

I'd love to see Montreal for the food and architecture.

I'd like to return to the forts my parents took me to in Puerto Rico (not sure I'd be as easily impressed by them now).

Merriman's on the big island in Hawaii is my favorite restaurant.

I'd love a weekend spent just eating at all of the amazing restaurants in Berkley. Pure gluttony.

I still have not seen the Barnes collection in Philly.

The LBJ ranch is something I want to see too.

And maybe next year, I'll finally visit spring training.
Old Feb 18, 11, 12:33 am

I wasn't that impressed with the inside of Disney Hall, but that might just be me. However...

We're doing a weekend trip to SF in June. If you do the 2nd or 3rd weekend, you can hit:
* Joe Goode Performance Group (my favorite)
* San Francisco Ethnic Dance Festival (which is amazing)
* the new Tales of the City musical with music by Jake Shears

And there are some good exhibits at the de Young then too. Anyway, combine that with a drive along the coast, if you have not done that before, and then you can hit Los Angeles and Disney Hall/the Gettys/if you like contemporary art, the Weisman house is amazing and off the beaten path/the exhibit list for LACMA looked good too/the Paul Thek will be at the Hammer/etc.

Oh yeah, the Barnes will be gone soon (how it is now anyway), so if anyone is in/near Philadelphia and has not seen it yet, go now! And then watch Art of the Steal.

BillJ

Search this Thread
Search Engine: