Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Istanbul: Best/most unique spaces

Old Sep 14, 2010, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler

Istanbul: Best/Unique Restaurants/Spaces

I need a family member's POV again...The previous Barcelona advice shared was greatttt! I know there are several Istanbul threads which seem to sort of just touch the issues below:

My partner and I are headed to Istanbul 11/08 - 11/16, and fellow GLBT FTers tips are always useful. We will be based in the city for the 7 NTS the entire time and venture forth for day trips. We wil be staying at the Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt so that's covered, but what can be suggested for:

1) FTer choices for best, including high and low brow, food venues. I am definitely into unique setting/food. I know there are dozens of guide books on the city, but looking for GLBT choices, and

2) FTer choices for hidden/interesting/unique experiences in the city, other than the great, but always, always referenced Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, etc., which we will of course visit.

Any old, or young, Istanbul hands...perhaps some FTers living in Istanbul.

Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-...71461-ist.html
Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Istanbul is a wonderful place to visit. Check out the side streets behind the grand bazaar. Great copper work, wholesale stores that sell beatiful crystal from Eastern Europe plus much more. Go to a couple carpet stores but there is so much more in these back streets.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
About the midpoint of Istiklal çadessi, across from Galatsary school, is the location of the former flower market at Çiçek Pasaji Walk a little down the pasaji, take a right on Sahne sokak then left onto Nevizade sokak. Several restaurants frequented by locals. Forget the name of the specific place I had a great meal but it was about half way down on the left.

Don't miss the street food, either. The ring shaped simit bread is delectable. Right near the Galata bridge I had a fish sandwich purchased from a guy who had caught the fish and was grilling them right there. I likely would not have ventured this on my own, was led to it by a local whose acquaintance I made (not, not that kind of acquaintance) who insisted it was an authentic Istanbul treat It was.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler
...keep the insights/advice coming ?

Thanks, now this is a great example of the kinds of nuggets of information that I can rely on FTers to provide....GLBTers especially. I am sure I will have a really good list by the time of the trip....just as in the case of my Barcelona trip.

Any FTers in Istanbul with some insights?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by SeamusSA
About the midpoint of Istiklal çadessi, across from Galatsary school, is the location of the former flower market at Çiçek Pasaji Walk a little down the pasaji, take a right on Sahne sokak then left onto Nevizade sokak. Several restaurants frequented by locals. Forget the name of the specific place I had a great meal but it was about half way down on the left.

Don't miss the street food, either. The ring shaped simit bread is delectable. Right near the Galata bridge I had a fish sandwich purchased from a guy who had caught the fish and was grilling them right there. I likely would not have ventured this on my own, was led to it by a local whose acquaintance I made (not, not that kind of acquaintance) who insisted it was an authentic Istanbul treat It was.

Enjoy!
Our cruise ship was docked nearby. The crew, also made mention of walking down to the bridge area for the freshly caught and grilled fish for snacks. Cheap, too.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
cocktails @ the W!
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Originally Posted by 8dimsum
Our cruise ship was docked nearby. The crew, also made mention of walking down to the bridge area for the freshly caught and grilled fish for snacks. Cheap, too.
Yep, dirt cheap as I recall, with all the ambiance of a midtown parking lot - but a great sandwich!
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler; Alaska MVP Gold 100K
Dinner

Sunset Restaurant
www.sunsetgrillbar.com/
Awesome ambiance, view is spectacular, fun place and good food. Most of the servers speak English.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 2:59 am

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
We just spent a 17 days in Istanbul. We used Couch Surfers to meet some local gay couples. Didn't stay with them but had some nice meals and hung out.

Our best meal was at Ciya:
http://www.ciya.com.tr/

It's been written up in Saveur, Food & Wine... Great food. Worth more than one visit.

The bars/clubs are fun. Tek Yon is the one were everyone goes and everyone ends up at at the end of the night. There are others that charge covers but Tek Yon is mostly where it is at.

Gayromeo is the main online hookup site like the rest of Europe.

Have fun and PM me if you have any specific questions.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:05 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
The cheap boat tour accross the bosphorous is interesting as well.

I do like the Bazaar. It is about 2/3 stops from Sultanamet by tram.

If you can, try Reina. Yes, it is pretentious, expensive and very straight but the views and setting are unique.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
IST

I didn't go out GLBT style much since I flew in on Sunday and left on Thursday or Friday, but I really loved these restaurants:

Mikla - Great food, awesome view.

Leb-i Derya - Great food, really nice view, Seemed to be a good place for cocktails before dinner too, but we didn't make it back

Kosebasi - I think this is right near your hotel, so great if you're not in the mood to go far afield - great Turkish food, excellent service.

As for tourism, we did the standard set - Hagia, Blue Mosque, Reina Sofya, Ferry up the Bosporous, some Art galleries and history museums. Really great, but nothing off the beaten path.

Enjoy!
John
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
It's touristy, but I like the kebabs at Hamdi. The pistachio kebabs and the views are fantastic. Reserve if you want a table by the window. I quite like Changa too.

And bring bubble wrap to stock up on glassware at Paşabahçe.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
I forgot, I also like Doğa Balık (unexpected location with great views) and Sofyalı 9 (unpretentious meyhane).
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:56 am

And all the House Cafes are good. I like the one in Ortaköy with the view of the Büyük Mecidiye Mosque. And I like the lounge bar at the Büyük Londra Hotel. Doilies and parrots.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.