Gay Miami Getaway Ideas

Old Apr 29, 10, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Gay Miami Getaway Ideas

Hello: I want to getaway to the sun/beach this weekend and wonder if anyone can suggest cool 4 star+ hotels in the Miami area. I'm 35 and single and looking to relax in the sun but also to connect with other gay men. Thanks!
PS Stayed at the Standard in September, which was nice, but the location wasn't great.
Old Apr 29, 10, 10:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
You should definitely stay on South Beach. That way, you'll be a cab ride away from Twist, Score, Halo, Palace, etc.
Old Apr 29, 10, 10:18 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by xerxes30 View Post
Hello: I want to getaway to the sun/beach this weekend and wonder if anyone can suggest cool 4 star+ hotels in the Miami area. I'm 35 and single and looking to relax in the sun but also to connect with other gay men. Thanks!
PS Stayed at the Standard in September, which was nice, but the location wasn't great.
A little expensive but the Victor (a Hyatt) is right across Ocean Drive from the 12th St Gay Beach and right across 12th St from Palace.
Old Apr 29, 10, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I liked the W South Beach. Nice, large rooms and decent clientele (not many families, good amount of gays and well dressed straights). Its at the far end of Collins, so a little bit away from the craziness of the SoBe, but close enough to the gay bars.

Last edited by thepointsguy; Apr 30, 10 at 9:40 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 29, 10, 10:42 am
Original Poster

many thanks for your replies!!
Old Jul 10, 10, 10:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by xerxes30 View Post
Alright, I'm looking for the opposite... a hotel that is affordable but decent. (less than $200 if possible)
Old Jul 11, 10, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Juanefny View Post
Alright, I'm looking for the opposite... a hotel that is affordable but decent. (less than $200 if possible)
When are you going? In "low" season (eg summer) Victor can be a little under $200 but "high" season can be $600.
Old Jul 12, 10, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Surfcomber (Double Tree) is decent for about that price. I would also suggest Price Line or Hotwire but on PL take at least a three star if not a 3.5 star hotel.
Old Jul 12, 10, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by peteropny View Post
When are you going? In "low" season (eg summer) Victor can be a little under $200 but "high" season can be $600.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going on Labor day weekend.
Old Jul 12, 10, 6:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going on Labor day weekend.
For that weekend - a prepaid non-refundable rate at Victor averages about $188 - cancellable AAA breakfast rate is $206 - so within range of your budget.
Old Jul 14, 10, 11:11 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Yes, I would suggest Fort Lauderdale instead! There are about 30 gay male hotels and guest houses in Fort Lauderdale, literally. Try either The Royal Palms Gay Ft. Lauderdale Guesthouse - Gay Ft. Lauderdale Award Winning Resort.
www.royalpalms.com

or

Google "gay hotels fort lauderdale" for a long list. The Worthington is good, so is The Grand, and so is Villa Venice. Though it is beautiful, I would stay away from Pineapple Point, since it is not right near the beach, plus the owners are jerks!
Old Jul 16, 10, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by USirritated View Post
Yes, I would suggest Fort Lauderdale instead! There are about 30 gay male hotels and guest houses in Fort Lauderdale, literally. Try either The Royal Palms Gay Ft. Lauderdale Guesthouse - Gay Ft. Lauderdale Award Winning Resort.
www.royalpalms.com

or

Google "gay hotels fort lauderdale" for a long list. The Worthington is good, so is The Grand, and so is Villa Venice. Though it is beautiful, I would stay away from Pineapple Point, since it is not right near the beach, plus the owners are jerks!
None of them qualify as 4* hotels or resorts. If the OP wants to try Ft Lauderdale, there are only a couple of beachfront hotels that would be suitable.
Old Jul 16, 10, 8:05 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
None of them qualify as 4* hotels or resorts. If the OP wants to try Ft Lauderdale, there are only a couple of beachfront hotels that would be suitable.
What qualifies as a 4 star hotel or resort is a rather nebulous concept. What most people use as a scale is price, which is wholly inaccurate. However, 4 star (and 5 star) were originally ratings awarded for quality, both nationally and internationally, by Mobil Guides (later sold to Forbes Magazine) and Micheline Guides. There are probably no (or almost none) gay hotels or resorts which are rated by either Mobil/Forbes or Micheline as 4 or 5 star.
Old Jul 16, 10, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by USirritated View Post
What qualifies as a 4 star hotel or resort is a rather nebulous concept. What most people use as a scale is price, which is wholly inaccurate. However, 4 star (and 5 star) were originally ratings awarded for quality, both nationally and internationally, by Mobil Guides (later sold to Forbes Magazine) and Micheline Guides. There are probably no (or almost none) gay hotels or resorts which are rated by either Mobil/Forbes or Micheline as 4 or 5 star.
I think even a traveler of average skill can detect the quality difference between a privately run gay guesthouse and a Westin or Hilton beach resort. There is nothing nebulous about it, nor are there are gay guesthouses in Ft Lauderdale which have the same room quality, decor quality or service quality as the Westin or Hilton, or even Sheraton for that matter.
Old Jul 19, 10, 5:37 am

It is entirely nebulous, since you are speaking basically only about size and scale. Also, I have stayed in MANY so called "4 star hotels" which were crappy, and in many so called "2 star and 3 star hotels" which were greeat! There are many TRUE (meaning independently rated by one of the known travel guides, and not "self proclaimed") 4 star and more hotels, worldwide, which are not large hotels. As an example, El Monte Sagrado (only 54 rooms), in Taos, NM is both 4 star and 4 diamond, and it had those awards from Michelin and AAA long before it became affliliated with Marriott Autograph Collection. And the capper is the 2010 BEST HOTEL IN THE WORLD according to Travel & Leisure Magazine, Bushmans Kloof/Wilderness Reserve & Wellness Retreat (98.67 -the highest score ever received by any hotel in the history of T&L annual survey!) located in The Cedar Mountains Wilderness Area, South Africa, a Full-service hideaway with a wellness focus and access to original Bushman art sites, 3 hours from Cape Town, with only 13 rooms and 3 suites.

The fact is that the GLBT Association of Travel Agents (GLBTA) and other organizations have LONG rated The Royal Palms as the best gay hotel IN THE WORLD.

For example (from their website): The Royal Palms Resort in Fort Lauderdale continues to be the most "awarded" and "talked about" gay property in the World, and has been consistently rated as one of the very best gay accommodations in the world. Many other gay resorts in the USA use The Royal Palms as the standard bearer for the Gay market.

In 2008 we received Planet Out's Editorís Choice Award as the top gay accommodation anywhere.

There are no other gay resorts that have received so many awards and such mainstream and gay press coverage as The Royal Palms. From the Washington Post, the Miami Herald, The Sun Sentinel, USA Today, The New York Times and many other mainstream newspapers, and from the Advocate, Genre Magazine, OUT, Our World Magazine and many regional gay publications, The Royal Palms has consistently been featured as one of the premier gay accommodations in the USA.

2008 Planet Out Travel Award Rated Best Gay Resort

2007 Planet Out Travel Award Rated #1 Gay Accommodation in North America

2006 Planet Out Travel Award Rated #1 Gay
Accommodation in North America
2005-2008 Superior Small Lodging "White Glove" Award

2002 IGLTA Hall of Fame Award.
Presented to Richard Gray for his significant contributions to the IGLTA and the gay and lesbian travel industry.

2002 City of Fort Lauderdale Superior Small Lodging "Jerry Johnston" Award for Excellence. (The only gay resort to win this award twice).

2001 Broward Countyy "Award for Excellence" - Best Outdoor Renovation

2001 Broward County "Award for Excellence" - Best Indoor Decor

2001 IGLTA "IGGY" Award for best brochure

2000 Home Town Hero Award.
Presented to Richard Gray from the Broward County Commissioners for his committment to gay travel not only in Fort Lauderdale but in the USA, and owning the most Awarded gay property in the USA, The Royal Palms.

1994 - 2003 Planet Out Editor's Choice Award

1996 - 2003 Planet Out 5 Palm Rating. "One of the best gay accommodations in the USA."

There are other awards they have received, but enough is enough! LOL

DISCLAIMER - I have no connection to Royal Palms, other than living in Fort Lauderdale, and I have never met Richard Gray, the owner of Royal Palms.

Search this Thread