Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

One Sunday night - MUC or FRA?

Old Oct 19, 2009, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hey Folks

I have a layover in FRA or MUC it will either be a Sunday night or Saturday night.

Which city has a better gay nightlife?

Neighborhoods?

Bars?

Hotel recs?

Thanks so much

Kevin
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: HH Silver, Marriott Silver, SPG Plat, Fairmont, UA GS/1K, Amex Platinum
I would suggest FRA for practical reasons. The MUC airport is a good 45 minute train ride/taxi cab ride away from the city. FRA is about 15 minutes and will cost you 20 Euro vs. 75 Euro in MUC. Your call...
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Better Gay Scene

Which city has a better gay scene?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: HH Silver, Marriott Silver, SPG Plat, Fairmont, UA GS/1K, Amex Platinum
Considering it's a Sunday night - I would make my way to FRA.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:02 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
I would have to disagree there, MUC has definitely the better scene. FRA is very limited. The ranking of German cities with the best scenes would be: Berlin, Cologne, Hamburg, Munich and Frankfurt.

Of course it all depends what you are looking for....

Recommendations all depend on your taste and budget. MUC guide is here

Personally I'd recommend the Munich Sofitel Bayerpost
Old Oct 23, 2009, 1:59 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
MUNICH!

I'd go for Munich, and staying at the Deutsche Eiche, smack in the middle of the gay village. There are several bars, clubs etc within walking distance, and the hotel, while straight-friendly, definitely is a gay hotel with a huge bathhouse as part of the complex. Me and my partner have stayed at the hotel several times, and while not luxurious, definitely comfortable. A typical German breakfast is included in the rates, and the restaurant serves good, German meals - mostly to locals. We have not visited the bathhouse (really!) but it is quite famous, and seems to be well patronized also on Sundays. The hotel, it must be stressed, is not in any way sleazy!

I agree that the trip from the airport is quicker in Frankfurt, but the prices quoted are too high - from both airports public transportation is recommended, and taxis at 70 Euros are in my opinion a waste of money. A single ticket on the S-Bahn to the airport costs Euro 9,20 (a single Tageskarte giving free transportation for the rest of the day, until 6AM the next day is only 10 Euros). The most convenient stop in Munich for the gay area (around Grtnerplatz) is Marienplatz, where the City Hall is, not the Hauptbahnhof. The Airport bus is also excellent in Munich; it stops in Schwabing (convenient for several major hotels there, and the U-bahn) and at Hauptbahnhof. A single is Euros 10,50, return/ round-trip is Euros 17 (bought from driver).
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / US DMS / DL PM
Frankfurt - Sunday Nights

I have been to Frankfurt many times on a Sunday night. I usually wind down my Europe trips there when I have to fly out of FRA back to the U.S. My favorite gay hotel to stay at is the Downtown-Frankfurt-Hotel ([email protected]) on Schfergasse 27. Schfergasse is a little gay street with some bars. The hotel is upstairs from Lucky's (http://www.luckys-lm27.de) which is a cafe bar. Download a map of Gay Frankfurt here: http://www.gaymap.info/-download-map...ankfurt_09.pdf

Sunday nights in Frankfurt are low key. My favorite bar to end the night is The Stall (Stiftstr. 22), which is a very cruisy leather bar. The bartenders and patrons are always friendly.

The Metropol Sauna just opened up in 2008 and is very clean and modern. (http://www.metropol-sauna.de/)

Both cities are low key on a Sunday night. If you want a more convenient airport then I would pick FRA.

If you go to MUC then check out NY Club Disco (Sonnenstr. 25) and Deutsche Eiche Sauna (Reichenbachstr. 13).
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat / UA Gold 1MM.
+1 for MUC. FRA is boring.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
I vote for Munich (I live here in Munich!) but I'll be the first to say that a Sunday night is a bit quiet.

The S-Bahn is very easy. Take either the S1 or S8 to downtown. Priceline runs some great deals. Check out this website for recent winning bids:
http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/for...t/Germany.html
Old Nov 12, 2009, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olafman
I vote for Munich (I live here in Munich!) but I'll be the first to say that a Sunday night is a bit quiet.

The S-Bahn is very easy. Take either the S1 or S8 to downtown. Priceline runs some great deals. Check out this website for recent winning bids:
http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/for...t/Germany.html
Thanks to all for your information.

Based on Award trip, I am in MUC for a Sunday night.

I'm not really looking for a huge night as I have to go to FRA in the AM.

Mostly wanted to grab a beer with fellow German GLBT.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Any big difference in nightlife between Munich and Frankfurt on a Friday night? I have to catch a plane Saturday morning.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
I vote for Munich but Sunday is always on the quiet side.

Definitely take the S-bahn for 10 euros. Taxi is a waist of money!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.