Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

How To Spend a 12 Hour Layover in FRA?

Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k

Have a 12 hour layover in FRA this Monday (10/27) from DEN flying Economy going to CPT. Because of my fare I probably wont have access to anything.

So, my question is as follows.

Should I just go with the day room at the Sheraton? (If so does anyone have any comments on this? Quality, etc)

Should I try and hunt down a pass for any of the lounges? (Seem in my search no one is really impressed with any of the lounges there)

Should I suck it up and go see the city prior to boardning another 12 hour flight?

Thanks in advanced for your help. Not looking forward to the journey part of this trip at all.

Last edited by Chandler69; Oct 22, 2008 at 11:03 am
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Suck it up & go see the city.

Rail access is easy -- there's a train station under the airport, just get a day pass. If you're not alone, a group pass for 2-5 people is a real bargain.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
Go see Mainz. check out the Gutenberg Museum, the Old Town area. It takes 30 minutes to get there from FRA and the train service is very frequent. You can probably get a day room in some hotel in Mainz (I stayed at the Hilton close to the Hbf. It is a decent hotel), take a nap, and then amble around town.

If you are going to be there between 11/27 and 12/23, check out the christmas markets. It is fantastic for christmas shopping.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
In my mind, "sucking it up" describes sitting in the FRA airport for 12 hours. Definitely hop on the train, go find a good meal or beer or some shops. Or all three.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:12 am

Agreed with the others -- go into the city. It's less exciting than other cities in Germany, but you can certainly find enough things to do to fill a few hours. Rail service to and from the city center is pretty frequent and convenient.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, AA, BA, US
Definitely play tourist

Either Frankfurt or Mainz are easily accessible, and there is plenty to see in both places.

In Frankfurt, get off at the "Hauptwache" subway stop, which will put you in the center of town, then take a 10-minute walk to the "Roemer", the old Roman remains, cross the pedestrian bridge over the river to Sachsenhausen and enjoy the view.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium?
I'd definately recommend getting out and seeing some sights. Going to Frankfurt is super easy (station is in the basement). Trains depart every 15 minues or so and it only takes about 10 minutes to get to the Hauptbahnhof (Main train station). Take the U5 to Dom/Rmer for the tourist stuff (pretty reconstructed half timber houses). There is a tourist information office in the train station and at the Rmer. If you're there on a weekend, check out the Ebbelwei express, a fun tram which takes you through the city.

http://www.ebbelwei-express.com/html/index_e.html

Otherwise, Mainz is also very nice. The old town and cathedral (1000 years old!) are nicer than Frankfurt. Mainz is somewhat farther away (25 minutes or so), but also somewhat more attractive IMHO. Strolling along the river watching the boat traffic is a pleasant diversion.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:18 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'm going to move this to the Germany Forum, as I suspect there are many non-UA flyers who would be more than willing to help you have a pleasant layover.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.