2007 Oktoberfest Trip Advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2007 Oktoberfest Trip Advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:48 am

Talking Beer and sausage time!

I'll be there as well. I'll be living two hours away in Austria.

Who's up for organising a 'DO'???
Old Apr 19, 2007, 5:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro
Hotel Suggestion??

Does anyone have a good hotel suggestion for the Oktoberfest? I just found out a friend of mine will be there so I'm thinking about hopping over there to visit for a few days. Ideally I'd like to pay under 200Euro a night to stay within a 15-20 minute walk (is that even possible??) but given that I'd like to find a room soon and reserve it, I'd consider up to 300 Euro for somewhere that I know I'll be comfortable.

Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: CO, HH, LH, F9
At least you are being reasonable

Originally Posted by stampmypassport
Does anyone have a good hotel suggestion for the Oktoberfest? I just found out a friend of mine will be there so I'm thinking about hopping over there to visit for a few days. Ideally I'd like to pay under 200Euro a night to stay within a 15-20 minute walk (is that even possible??) but given that I'd like to find a room soon and reserve it, I'd consider up to 300 Euro for somewhere that I know I'll be comfortable.

Thanks!
You should be able to find something under 300 Euro but 200 Euro is likely to be a bit too low for the 15-20 minute walk (I'm thinking this is 2-3 km). MUC has a great public transit system and I would rather save a chunk of money by using that than paying a lot to be close to the festivities. I believe a day pass is 5,50 Euro and good for the entire day. It leaves more room in the budget for drinking.

Peachfront:
I hope you remember that the exchange rate is bad right now and does not show signs of improving. 200 USD roughly translates right now to 150 EUR. Rooms are available for that but not near the festival. I hope that the EUR stabilizes but my personal expectation is for 1 EUR to be closer to 1.50 USD than 1.25 by September.

Last edited by flyingcat2k; Apr 19, 2007 at 1:30 pm Reason: Note to Peachfront
Old Sep 19, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Bump.... any general advice about oktoberfest for a first timer? I don't know what I don't know, so any suggestions, comments, ideas to maximize my enjoyment of the festivities would be welcome. ^
Old Sep 19, 2007, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HSaxa
Bump.... any general advice about oktoberfest for a first timer? I don't know what I don't know, so any suggestions, comments, ideas to maximize my enjoyment of the festivities would be welcome. ^

We'll be there 26 Sep through 4 Oct and plan on hitting the tents Sunday-Wednesday. Let me know if you would like to meet up. We could also use some good ole first time advice. I do however know how to say "Eine Mass (insert beer name here) bitter."
Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA Gold, SWA, Lifemiles, Emirates, Amex Plat.
See you at Oktoberfest too!!! This will be my 3rd time!!!! I'll be there Oct 3 tru 8. I have reservations for most days and nights.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by legallyblond
See you at Oktoberfest too!!! This will be my 3rd time!!!! I'll be there Oct 3 tru 8. I have reservations for most days and nights.
Wow......3 times. I'll be making my 2nd trip to Munich in 2 years in a few weeks. Both trips were made near Oktoberfest time, but never during.

I've given a lot of thought to going.........but I just can't pull the trigger. Something about hoardes of drunken people eating chicken and riding rollercoasters. Maybe if I was 10-15 years younger I would enjoy it much like I enjoyed Mardi Gras back in the day? But at this stage of my life I think I would enjoy quieter and less crowded biergartens and halls much more than anything else.

At any rate......nothing wrong with Oktoberfest if thats your thing. I just don't think I would fit in well there.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 5:24 am

O'Zapft is!
Old Sep 23, 2007, 9:55 am

I'll be in Munich from the 2nd - 8th for Oktoberfest. Will also be my first time, and I'm travelling alone from the 2nd - 4th, meeting up with friends on the 5th
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:13 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Anyone planning a FT DO at Oktoberfest? I'll be there from the 4th-7th with a friend and we are completely winging it (no reservations, etc). Never been and can't wait!
Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:16 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, AM Gold, Avis First
In case anyone is looking at this thread and planning for next year, a couple of pieces of advice-for hotels, if you can book them on points, this is the time to do it! The sooner the better. We stayed at the ArabellaSheraton Westpark, which is a 10 minute walk from all the Oktoberfest action, and included free breakfast and free beer/snacks in the evening. As for the tents, we didn't make reservations and got in at 1pm on a Friday-but were lucky to be able to stay in the tent until 10pm-we met some nice people who let us drink with them at their reserved table. You may not be aas lucky as we were, so do the smart thing and reserve a table!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by plastic_canuck
In case anyone is looking at this thread and planning for next year, a couple of pieces of advice-for hotels, if you can book them on points, this is the time to do it! The sooner the better. We stayed at the ArabellaSheraton Westpark, which is a 10 minute walk from all the Oktoberfest action, and included free breakfast and free beer/snacks in the evening. As for the tents, we didn't make reservations and got in at 1pm on a Friday-but were lucky to be able to stay in the tent until 10pm-we met some nice people who let us drink with them at their reserved table. You may not be aas lucky as we were, so do the smart thing and reserve a table!
Points are definitely the way to go. We stayed at the Four Points Munchen Central (about 2-3 blocks from the Hippodrome) this year, which has clean rooms, but no real amenities. I heard people paying around 300 Euros. If not for the location, the rooms are probably worth 50 Euros.

Reserved tables are always the way to go, if there's more than a couple of you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.