Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frankfurt Airport - Car Rental

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Frankfurt Airport - Car Rental

I will be flying in to Frankfurt and doing a road trip through Germany, Austria, Switzerland (and perhaps France, Belgium, and Luxembourg) and in looking at the reviews for the various car rental companies, I am not sure which to choose? Many reviews about long lines, alleged attempts to charge for damage, add prepaid fuel, etc.

In the US, I have status with all of the big name brands (e.g., Avis Preferred Plus, Enterprise Plus Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum; status match is helpful). The only “benefit” I care about utilizing at Frankfurt would be skipping lengthy lines at the pickup counter which many companies seem to struggle with, per recent reviews. Do any of the rental companies recognize US status and do they have dedicated lanes based on status? I presume it is necessary to show my IDP so I am amenable to stopping at the desk but have zero interest in waiting in a 1-2 hour line.

any insight is appreciated.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LouNanne
I will be flying in to Frankfurt and doing a road trip through Germany, Austria, Switzerland (and perhaps France, Belgium, and Luxembourg) and in looking at the reviews for the various car rental companies, I am not sure which to choose? Many reviews about long lines, alleged attempts to charge for damage, add prepaid fuel, etc.

In the US, I have status with all of the big name brands (e.g., Avis Preferred Plus, Enterprise Plus Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum; status match is helpful). The only “benefit” I care about utilizing at Frankfurt would be skipping lengthy lines at the pickup counter which many companies seem to struggle with, per recent reviews. Do any of the rental companies recognize US status and do they have dedicated lanes based on status? I presume it is necessary to show my IDP so I am amenable to stopping at the desk but have zero interest in waiting in a 1-2 hour line.

Can't talk about Frankfurt airport (never rented there), but from my experience at MUC they honor status. The lane is dedicated to a certain level, an American status is similar in my exes. So I would say yes.
LouNanne likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:46 pm

Rental car status is generally not country specific. If you’re Presidents Circle, etc, in the U.S., you’re Presidents Circle, etc. in Germany. The rental counter staffs in Germany are more efficient than in the U.S., so you probably won’t be waiting in line for 2 hours. There is a 99.99% chance that anyone, anywhere, will not ask to see your IDP. In more than 20 years of renting cars in Europe, I have never been asked to show an IDP.

BTW, you didn’t state when you are traveling. If it is anytime soon, you should make your reservation ASAP. When I was in CH in May, I was told that I was lucky that I had a reservation because they were experiencing a shortage of vehicles.

Make sure when you cross into Austria and Switzerland that you stop to buy vignettes to put on the inside of your windshield.
LouNanne likes this.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Jul 3, 2022 at 4:14 pm
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I usually rent from Hertz when I fly into FRA and never have to go to the counter due to Gold Plus membership (President Circle). No one has ever wanted to see an IDP anywhere I have rented in Europe (which is good, because I don’t have one).
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Make sure when you cross into Austria and Switzerland that you stop to buy vignettes to put on the inside of your windshield.
Noted, thanks!

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I usually rent from Hertz when I fly into FRA and never have to go to the counter due to Gold Plus membership (President Circle). No one has ever wanted to see an IDP anywhere I have rented in Europe (which is good, because I don’t have one).
Good to know! The Hertz app currently has a Porsche Cayenne available at $90000 EUR/week (their typo, not mine) during the time I will be renting 😂. I will post to the Hertz forum.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver

For Hertz I can confirm that you can walk directly to the parking garage. There is an extra level/row for Hertz status members and no need to go to the counter in the terminal building. Just make sure that you specify in which terminal you will arrive (1 or 2) so your car will be at the right parking garage. Terminal 1 is for Lufthansa and Star Alliance. Everybody else is normally at Terminal 2. Just check with your airline.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:41 pm

I rented at FRA from National in May. Had to go to the counter, but the wait was only a couple minute wait. Reserved a "standard" automatic for a one-way rental to Stuttgart. Used free days for the rental. Was offered a Mitsubishi SUV, until I told the agent I knew how to drive stick. Was then offered a Ford Kuga, fully loaded with ACC, HUD, Satnav, etc. Great car, would use National again in Germany.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:53 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Hertz seems the best, as you can got skip the counter with status.

Just as a sidenote, all rental companies charge nowadays if you want to cross the border to another country (even within the EU). You can select it while renting. If you forgot it or drive over the border without askin for permission, there might be a surcharge.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by FLYGVA

Just as a sidenote, all rental companies charge nowadays if you want to cross the border to another country (even within the EU). You can select it while renting. If you forgot it or drive over the border without askin for permission, there might be a surcharge.
Paging EU Commission.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Hertz seems the best, as you can got skip the counter with status.

Always rent off adac.de, even if you're not a member, You can go as you please in Western Europe and the EU then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.