Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Brühl/Cologne/Belgium train help

Brühl/Cologne/Belgium train help

Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I need more help! Our ICE train will be late. So we will be missing our connection in Brussels North station which is a Belgian train. Will we have issues getting a new connection train ?
They notified us a bit ago via message and gave us a 1:30 option which there is no way to make. What will happen?
The next Belgian IC train is two hours later but there are other than options that we could get on.

We are actually taxiing to the ICE location ehrenfeld station so hopefully there is a ticket office there.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:15 am

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
I need more help! Our ICE train will be late. So we will be missing our connection in Brussels North station which is a Belgian train. Will we have issues getting a new connection train ?
They notified us a bit ago via message and gave us a 1:30 option which there is no way to make. What will happen?
The next Belgian IC train is two hours later but there are other than options that we could get on.

We are actually taxiing to the ICE location ehrenfeld station so hopefully there is a ticket office there.
No ticket office at Ehrenfeld as it is sort of a local suburbian station, where no long distance trains are calling in normal times.

But I think you will be ok - as long as you have one ticket from Cologne to Antwerp, any delay in your itinerary will be covered, you just lose any seat reservation on the subsequent trains.
Just take the next train in Bruxelles-Noord, just not the Thalys (different company!).
To be sure, you may ask the conductor on the ICE about your options.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks! I appreciate it.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
One more remark: Next trains from Bruxelles Nord to Antwerp are leaving at 20:10 and 20:38 (IC train). The DB app should also provide you with alternatives.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
If you can make it on to the local train from Aachen to Welkenraedt, change to a Belgian IC train. The fastest connection to Antwerp goes vis Leuven (no need to go via Brussels). Those are hourly trains that don't require a reservation.

If you can make it to Liège or Brussels-Nord that's a bonus. Brussels to Antwerp has tons of trains, like a suburban service basically. Just get on the next available.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. A small heart attack when first notified. But all seems well with lots of options. We’ll stick with the original ICE train 12 and just catch one of the subsequent IC trains into Antwerp. Not all that much of a time delay.
And the app is now showing my original train either on time or just slightly late. But not sure if that is right.
But in any regard it seems to be an easy fix.
Thanks again everyone. We really appreciate it! Especially the kids that get the extra time in the park.
Askartus likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We are sitting on an IC train from Brussels North to Antwerp. Our ICE train did arrive about 15 minutes late, but we caught the next on that departed at 8:10. So a mere 30 minute delay. Thanks again for all the help!
supine likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:49 pm

Don't worry about your Belgian train. Leave the ICE at Brussel Noord, and then take the first train to your destination. Trains in Belgium usually run at least hourly, but to Antwerpen (this is where you are going, right?) there are several trains an hour.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:30 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by KayVeeBee
Don't worry about your Belgian train. Leave the ICE at Brussel Noord, and then take the first train to your destination. Trains in Belgium usually run at least hourly, but to Antwerpen (this is where you are going, right?) there are several trains an hour.
I don't think their train was delayed by 14 days...
pbiflyer and offerendum like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
I don't think their train was delayed by 14 days...
You never know with Deutsche Bahn.
pbiflyer, offerendum and mlin32 like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
You never know with Deutsche Bahn.
Actually, given our experience with DB, it seems to be a possibility.
offerendum likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.