Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas Markets 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
Generally there are no high formal requirements to proof vaccination in Germany. So far my CovApp was never scanned in Germany, but all the time in Italy and Switzerland.
My employer scans it for each entry onto premises, and an indoor pool I use also scans it.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by mlin32
My employer scans it for each entry onto premises, and an indoor pool I use also scans it.
Normally that´s the correct way
Old Dec 12, 2021, 2:01 am

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Generally there are no high formal requirements to proof vaccination in Germany. So far my CovApp was never scanned in Germany, but all the time in Italy and Switzerland.
Wow - no idea where you went, but I wore out my cell phone showing my COVID Pass over the last week in Germany. Can’t wait to get home and away from the madness - especially the FPP2 masks in Bavaria.

Hit a few Christmas markets, but the saddest thing in the world was Bavaria’s Christmas Town - Rothenburg with no tourists.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 5:52 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Well, my experiences are different. In Hesse (Frankfurt to be precisely) my CovApp was checked every time I entered a restaurant, a shop with non-essential goods (e.g. Mediamarkt, Christ, Fossil, ...) . In Düsseldorf, it was not that strict until earlier last week (Dec 06)
Old Dec 12, 2021, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Well, my experiences are different. In Hesse (Frankfurt to be precisely) my CovApp was checked every time I entered a restaurant, a shop with non-essential goods (e.g. Mediamarkt, Christ, Fossil, ...) . In Düsseldorf, it was not that strict until earlier last week (Dec 06)
Yesterday it was the first time in Germany they scanned it (at a restaurant and a shop). I think it changed during the last day what´s a good thing.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
Wow - no idea where you went, but I wore out my cell phone showing my COVID Pass over the last week in Germany. Can’t wait to get home and away from the madness - especially the FPP2 masks in Bavaria.
As I said it changed. To make it clear, the control of the vaccination status is done for a while, but it´s new it´s done widely with the check of the passport and scanning of the app. Nevertheless there is as far as I know no obligation to use the app. Also the yellow WHO vaccination-passport is accepted. If it´s madness is surely a controversial question. Many Germans think it´s a madness still to let tourists in, doing football with spectators, to open markets or even shops.
FLYGVA and sonomawine like this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Also the yellow WHO vaccination-passport is accepted.
Not everywhere in Germany, though.

https://www.berliner-zeitung.de/news...dell-li.197258
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Currently in Berlin. Xmas markets are open, with long queues at the entrance, due to 2G checks, but the queues move rather fast. Checked the Alexanderplatz (OK) and the Rotes Rathaus (very good) Masks are worn by 99% of the visitors inside, but saw no enforcers.

E.g jazz clubs and the Opera is open, at the latter you need to wear a mask even at your seat - but not at the bar during intermission, so what's the point?

For museums you need a timeslot, the Pergamon is booked several days out but the Gemäldegalerie had slots within 45 minutes.

So if you are 2G, Berlin is (still?) a good place to go now. Without the covid pass, forget it, you won't get into anywhere - starting with hotels, restaurants, shops, museums.

PS - covid passes are checked at every venue, restaurant, etc, nearly always you also need to show your id and it gets checked against the covid pass. The only exception was BER, where we walked out as it were 2019, weren't stopped once from plane to taxi stand.
TravisMT81 likes this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Dec 12, 2021 at 11:44 pm
Old Dec 13, 2021, 4:04 am

Programs: FB Gold
Reading this makes me glad I'm based in the région Frankfurt. The rules in Hesse remain relatively generous and given the number of ex-pats here, CDC card shouldn't be an issue for Americans. Here if you're vaccinated, life continues with a rough semblance of normality. Restos without test requirement, my gym membership continues as normal, a regular medical grade mask will do, incidence rates are reasonable.....I don't eat out much in Germany (that's what France is for) but when I do, no one has made me fish out my piece of identification except at the Christmas market.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
E.g jazz clubs and the Opera is open, at the latter you need to wear a mask even at your seat - but not at the bar during intermission, so what's the point?
Can’t drink with the mask on, can you?

At your seat you are exposed to people around you for several hours, and exposing them to you. Exposure time is a key factor in determining exposure risk. Do they have capacity limits, i.e. empty seats between people?

I have been to one movie during the pandemic and didn’t have an issue wearing my (K)N95 mask at my seat. Then again, I am also required to wear one at work, so it really doesn’t bother me. Surgical masks may be slightly more comfortable to wear, but they are also significantly less effective (see recent Max Planck study).
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Can’t drink with the mask on, can you?

At your seat you are exposed to people around you for several hours, and exposing them to you. Exposure time is a key factor in determining exposure risk. Do they have capacity limits, i.e. empty seats between people?
No capacity control either at the club or the Opera. The Opera had around 80% load factor (very rough estimate), the jazz club also around 75% (again very rough estimate)

Another data point - the city bus driver checked pax's covid passes on boarding, the S-Bahn had no such control.

PS - coming from a non-mask-mandate country, this all felt very strange, but if this is the alternative of a lockdown, so be it, their country, their rules. Of course we all know that this is not about safety, but about pushing people to get vaccinated by making life as uncomfortable as can be for unvaccinated persons.

PS2 - you're in deep trouble, if your phone's battery dies while you're out at night
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
PS - coming from a non-mask-mandate country, this all felt very strange, but if this is the alternative of a lockdown, so be it, their country, their rules. Of course we all know that this is not about safety, but about pushing people to get vaccinated by making life as uncomfortable as can be for unvaccinated persons.
You may know that, but I don’t. Many mask mandates today apply to vaccinated and unvaccinated people equally. The 2G and 3G rules, on the other hand, certainly are policy that is hoped to increase vaccination rates.

PS2 - you're in deep trouble, if your phone's battery dies while you're out at night
Might be worth having a paper copy of the QR code in your back pocket… or a small power bank.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn´t know it. Well, it changes from day to day.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may know that, but I don’t. Many mask mandates today apply to vaccinated and unvaccinated people equally. The 2G and 3G rules, on the other hand, certainly are policy that is hoped to increase vaccination rates.
I meant the 2G/2G+/3G rules, so we do agree on that. Masks are a different can of worms, which I don't want to open in this thread.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
We went to Hamburg over the weekend of 3-5 December. We uploaded our NHS vaccine certificates into the Corona-Warn app (which is available in the UK iOS App Store) which worked very well. We then had to show that, along with photo ID, to get into anywhere under 2G restrictions (i.e. pretty much everywhere that served food or drink). After a Friday evening of filling in paper forms at each venue for contract tracing, a visit to the Hotel Atlantic the following morning for a coffee enlightened us to the "Luca" app which we downloaded and then used from then on to check in everywhere via scanning a QR code. So: Corona-Warn, Photo ID, Luca app are the three things you need.

Everything is very well organised. The food and drink area of the Rathaus Market required 2G entry, but you could walk around the rest of the stalls (selling Xmas gifts) without any checks. Even the smallest (family run) pub we found wanted to check our trio of papers, so you can be assured that in Hamburg at least, the restrictions are being enforced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.