Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas Markets 2021

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: LH MM SEN & many others+++
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
The above statement is untrue, also.
As in many places around the world, including Berlin, the only consistency is inconsistency. One person checking for vaccination might refuse entry, while another person at the same venue might allow you in. As usual, it’s a YMMV situation.
you cannot be more correct.
I've visited many venues across Europe.
Whether you are asked about your certificate is a matter of disposition of the local staff.
Usually hotels do ask, so as fancy restaurants and fast food chains. Cheap restaurants/bars and small shops - they don't bother.

Most of them (90%) are doing it for complacency, and never ask for an ID.
My experience is that only 1 in 10 ask for an accompanying ID.
They only look at the last vaccination date and if you have 2 shots.

As for the QR code - I remember to be checked with a QR reader only once, in Italy, this summer. Since then (or before) never again.
And that was 1 in about 20 places I've been asked for a covid certificate in Italy. All others were just looking briefly over the text, didn't bother with QR reader.
So it was not a local thing, as in "oh, in Italy they check". No, it was about the staff of that restaurant.

I'm using Corona Warn App and I am pretty sure if someone has been given a QR code by the vaccination authority in US, this app is able to read it, decipher it and make all info available.
If you have another app doing the same - rest assured, you won't have any issues in the EU.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
As the neew regulations went into force on Nov 24, local authorites are enforcing the rules more rigourously... earlier restaurants gave anything you showed a quick glance and moved on. Now they cross check the name on the vaccination proof with a picture ID and scan the QR code if present with a checking app just like in France and Italy.

The reason for the new approach is that the authorities made surprise visits and checked everyone. In Bavaria the fines have been doubled, so its a 500€ fine for the guest and a 5000€ fine for the restaurant. On Monday we had a VFT meet in the MUC Airbräu and the waiter mentioned that they caught 4 fake vaccine certs when the police visited on Saturday. My son even got checked yesterday when eating at Subway

So any reports of lax controls before Nov 24 should be taken with a pinch of salt
st8dm likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 1:02 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Christmas Markets are closing left and right. Around me only my county has one now, all the neighboring counties closed them either this weekend or yesterday. So for travellers except more closures at the very last minutes.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 1:20 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Christmas Markets are closing left and right. Around me only my county has one now, all the neighboring counties closed them either this weekend or yesterday. So for travellers except more closures at the very last minutes.
The markets in Hesse will welcome you Went to the one in Wiesbaden last weekend. They had organised the food/beverage area separately (vaccinated/recovered only, côntrole at the access points) but it was nice to have the markets back this year.

TravisMT81, Parkdesigner and st8dm like this.

Last edited by mlin32; Dec 1, 2021 at 7:27 am
Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:06 am

Just adding my recent experience from last week. We went to the Christmas Markets in Berlin (Gendarmenmarkt and Christmas Avenue) and they accepted CDC cards with ID at check-in with minimal issues. Gendarmenmarkt was actively scanning the QR code so it took a second for someone to visually inspect the card. Somehow we managed to get into the Berlin Town Hall market without a vaccine check. The City Hall Christmas Market in Hamburg also scanned the vaccine QR code at the entrance but we had our Covpass by then so it was much easier. All the other markets throughout Hamburg seemed to be up and running.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 8:16 am

One more data point. Out of curiosity I have made my way to the Zitadelle Xmas market in Spandau in north-west Berlin. I can confirm 2G rules are in force and my Corona-Warn app was scanned to gain entry, as well as an outrageous €3.50 entry charge!
Old Dec 1, 2021, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by slicktony
€3.50 entry charge!
That's only common in markets which are located in museums or other sights which also at other times cost money.
st8dm likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:58 am

The following Christmas markets in Hesse are still welcoming you as of this writing. Entry under the conditions of the Health pass. (source : Hessenschau)

Check the opening hours before going though.
TravisMT81 and offerendum like this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
The Christmas market status overview on the ARD (MDR) website I linked upthread gets updated fairly regularly and gives the best oversight about this years' season, cancellations, closures and all:
https://www.mdr.de/brisant/weihnacht...orona-100.html
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:50 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by drminn
Not sure on the date of the spreadsheet, but a lot of the Xmas markets in Germany have been cancelled again this year due to Covid. Here is a list (in German), but I am sure you can figure it out. (hint: ABGESAGT means cancelled).

https://www.mdr.de/brisant/weihnacht...orona-100.html
I think it was put together in October, so it's definitely out of date. As a start, Bayern and Baden-Wuerttemberg have canceled all markets as far as I know. I arrived in Freiburg on Thanksgiving day and learned that the market had been canceled the day before, and I believe that was state-wide.

I originally shared the spreadsheet to be used as a general planning guide for a potential Christmas Market DO in 2022, possibly in conjunction with the NUE DO (although I believe the last one was a winter event so spring/summer would be next, Covid restrictions permitting).
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Can I use my AntiCovid or Lucas app for them to scan my QR code? I don’t have a German ITunes account, so I cannot download CoronaWarn.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by TravisMT81
Can I use my AntiCovid or Lucas app for them to scan my QR code? I don’t have a German ITunes account, so I cannot download CoronaWarn.
I can say definitively Yes for the french TousAntiCovid- it's what I use exclusively.
TravisMT81 and offerendum like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
You should be able to download the official CovPass app from RKI from the US AppStore. It has the same vaccine pass feature as the Corona Warn App.

TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
You should be able to download the official CovPass app from RKI from the US AppStore. It has the same vaccine pass feature as the Corona Warn App.

/...)
Thanks, downloading now.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Dec 12, 2021 at 5:53 am Reason: edited picture out of quote
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Generally there are no high formal requirements to proof vaccination in Germany. So far my CovApp was never scanned in Germany, but all the time in Italy and Switzerland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.