COVPASS certificate with CDC Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVPASS certificate with CDC Card?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2021, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by rworne
I hope it wasn't my report of the Apotheke in Münchner Freiheit. At the time I did it, they did. I know my co-workers decided to wait and have it done elsewhere and consistently struck out.
No worries. It was that Apotheke but it was on our way from the Andaz.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
The QR code can’t be scanned by the European verification App, but as long as you can show proof of vaccination, which the U.S. App does, that is sufficient. Now, that doesn’t mean that you won’t occasionally run into someone who is not properly trained. In that case, I’d probably ask to speak with a manager, etc.

If you read the requirements for entry to an EU country, for the most part, the rules only state that you must provide proof of vaccination. No where is it stated that you have to have a German QR code, Swiss QR code, etc. Of course, with the current dramatic increase in infections, in some countries ( Austria, Germany & others), things may change.

If you live in a state that uses the Smart Health Card, count yourself lucky. See the following link:

Happy Thanksgiving. 🦃🥂
Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Unfortunately I don’t live in a state with Smart Health Card support, but I got the EU QR codes for my CDC card back in the summer. Looks I may need to get my third cert for the booster shot next time I am there based on current EU proposals.

It’s just a bit amusing that a paper CDC card is considered less official than some data on a phone screen. It would take me very little effort to create a small app to show COVID vaccination information, and presumably a static picture would probably suffice, too. Not that I would encourage people to cheat. If caught, the penalties in Europe seem to be stiff.

In Hawaii recently some restaurants actually checked photo ID to make sure the card’s name matched. Didn’t see that in Germany. Just a glance at the QR code.
FLYMSY likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 1:18 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
As restrictions tighten they will start matching id and scan the code to validate it like the Italians do and the French din in August. The days of the cursory glance ended today…
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I wrote two pharmacies in Munich today. One said they are only allowed to issue digital certificates for EU citizens and military members; another said they are only allowed to issue certificates to those who reside in Germany.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 1:30 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
I wrote two pharmacies in Munich today. One said they are only allowed to issue digital certificates for EU citizens and military members; another said they are only allowed to issue certificates to those who reside in Germany.
That is what I was told in Duisberg and Düsseldorf. Besides, you don’t need it. Every place in Germany I have been to has let me in with my CDC card and ID.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dlffla
That is what I was told in Duisberg and Düsseldorf. Besides, you don’t need it. Every place in Germany I have been to has let me in with my CDC card and ID.
We had issues at a couple of small restaurants in Heidelberg and at the Christmas market in Freiberg. Very random who accepted and who did not.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
If you have a yellow WHO vaccine card, it might be worth getting the COVID shots recorded in that as an alternative proof. It’s what Germans use (or at least used before getting the digital version). Your doctor or county health department probably would add the information if asked.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by dlffla
Please do report back. I think you were wise to get the paper copy just in case since Germany just moved yesterday to tighten its protocols, e.g, you need to b vaccinated to travel on public transportation, etc. I will be traveling to Germany next week.
Originally Posted by puchong
And I in two weeks! So any notes about your experience in Germany will be much appreciated!
We just got back and the Swiss app worked everywhere we went. In Munich, everywhere was looking to scan the QR code and about 90% were also checking our passports. In Stuttgart they were a lil more relaxed.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA-½K
Not too much trouble this trip

Work typically has me working late, so I'm tired getting back to the hotel with most of the town closing down at 8PM.

The one sit down restaurant I went to (and frequented before) got nervous when I asked (in German) if the staff spoke any English. I knew they did, but I consider it gauche to just start speaking English to them.

The server said I needed proof of vaccination, as he was likely assuming I did not, and was quite surprised and happy when I flashed the CovApp.

So happy I did this. Now I need to bother the two Apothecaries here to see if they do them. One has an advertisement in the window saying they do them, but I loathe having to explain everything in English and my ever-so-crappy German - what I remember of it from high school classes over 30 years ago.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like pharmacies in Germany are getting a new online tool to verify the lot numbers shown on paper vaccine certificates. And it sounds like the data is for German lots only, which might make it more difficult to get CDC cards or other foreign vaccine carts converted to German digital certs.

https://www.berliner-zeitung.de/news...nnen-li.200841
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

So what's the deal with the restaurants in Frankfurt? I have CDC card and Smart Health Card on my phone.
Will I be able to sit down in the restaurants this weekend or I have to order food to go only?
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bwiadca
So what's the deal with the restaurants in Frankfurt? I have CDC card and Smart Health Card on my phone.
Will I be able to sit down in the restaurants this weekend or I have to order food to go only?
you will be able to sit down and eat.
bwiadca likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 1:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
At a restaurant right now that refused CDC card, then tried to read the California QR code and of course it did not scan, then read the details of California pass with the three dates and gave us the go ahead.
Same thing with us. Virginia is one of those 5 states and we've converted the CDC card. It wouldn't scan anywhere in Germany, but they would let us in.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Advantage; Hilton Honors
Update on Proof of Vaccination

Has anyone had problems getting into hotels, restaurants, or museums with a CDC card that shows 2 shots plus a booster? We are traveling from the USA to Frankfurt, Cologne, and Koblenz in mid March. .Does anyone know of a pharmacy in Cologne that will convert the CDC card to the digital certificate? Thanks for any updated information.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:20 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Searching for something else I came across the exact instructions for pharmacies today:

https://www.abda.de/fileadmin/user_u...lungshilfe.pdf

Section 2.5.1 on page 15 spells out the details on who can get an EU digital certificate. 2.6.1. on p. 16 even shows the special case of US military with a CDC card example.
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.