FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Germany removes quarantine requirement for many countries (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/2040038-germany-removes-quarantine-requirement-many-countries.html)

bimmerfreak0 May 12, 2021 12:37 pm

Germany removes quarantine requirement for many countries

https://simpleflying.com/germany-rem...e-requirement/

I understand, assuming you can prove you've been vaccinated, that you no longer need to abide by the 10 day quarantine rule. What I do not know or would love clarification on is the actual entry requirements. It would appear as though the underlying entry requirements are still quite stringent inasmuch as it better be of dire need. It's just now you have no need to quarantine automatically?

For persons in compliance with passport and visa regulations, an urgent need to enter Germany is considered to be present in the following cases since 2 July:Based on this list, it would still need to be an "urgent" need. Not sure why all the news articles are discussing "vacations" when it would appear as though the underlying border entry is still essentially closed. Please, someone correct me. Tell me I'm wrong.

fransknorge May 13, 2021 2:36 am

You are correct.
Basically the regulations are for locals/EU residents who are fully vaccinated and do not need a test when coming back/going to Germany.

In principle, there is still a quarantine obligation of ten days after entry from risk areas. What is new is that, according to the new regulation, people who have not been vaccinated or have recovered can "test themselves freely" . An antigen test that is not older than 48 hours or a PCR test that is not older than 72 hours is sufficient.Anyone who enters by plane still needsa negative test before departure .

No relief when entering from virus variant areas

The new rules for complete exemption from quarantine through tests, however, only apply to entry from "normal" risk areas. Anyone entering from a high-incidence area can continue to end the quarantine after five days at the earliest with a negative test. Vaccinated and recovered people are also exempt from quarantine after providing evidence. After staying in virus variant areas , a negative test must already be available upon entry. In addition, the quarantine lasts 14 days and can not be ended earlier. Even vaccinated or recovered people are not exempt from the obligation to test before entry and the 14-day quarantine after staying in virus variant areas.
https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/baden-...dnung-100.html

FlyerTalker324193 May 13, 2021 8:28 am

Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 (Post 33246296)
I understand, assuming you can prove you've been vaccinated, that you no longer need to abide by the 10 day quarantine rule. What I do not know or would love clarification on is the actual entry requirements.

The new rules are merely about (i) registration requirements (passenger locator form); (ii) quarantine requirements; and (iii) test requirements for those allowed to enter Germany in the first place.

However, there is absolutely nothing in there governing the right to enter. Unless you're a citizen or a resident of 1. EU countries or 2. EFTA countries (Iceland/Liechtenstein/Norway/Switzerland) or 3. one of the three micro-states in Schengen (Monaco...) or 4. a few further countries agreed upon by the EU partners, you are unable to enter for non-essential purposes. The "further countries" under 4. currently consist of Australia, Israel, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, and Thailand.

blitzen May 13, 2021 9:43 am

The news are reported slightly differently ..... but the way I read it for fully vaccinated travelers (14 days after the last shot, EU approved vaccine) that is allowed to enter wouldn't need a negative covid test before the flight to germany (and no quarantine afterwards). That makes my flight next month easier .... but not all websites show the same use of language so the "pre flight test" part isn't 100% clear

fransknorge May 13, 2021 11:21 am

The pre-flight test is 100% clear, from the German Health minister directly:

Negative Covid test must be shown

Anyone travelling to Germany by plane must also still show a negative test before boarding, regardless of which country they are flying in from, Spahn added.

The updated travel guidance comes as Germany has significantly ramped up its vaccination pace, with more than 33 percent of adults having received their first jab so far.
https://www.thelocal.de/20210512/ger...summer-travel/

Several other articles are reporting this.
Also, the official website is clear, the exception for vaccinated people only apply to quarantine, not test before boarding a plane.

Test requirement on entry to Germany

Air travel

From 30 March 2021, all persons travelling to Germany by air must present a negative COVID‑19 test result before embarking on their journey. This applies regardless of the country from where the individual has travelled and also to passengers only traversing Germany (i.e. for international transit). Persons under six years of age and aircraft crews are exempt. The negative test result must be presented to the airline before departure.

[...]

Quarantine regulations

In Germany, the individual Länder are responsible for quarantine regulations. The Länder have put in place their own regulations on the basis of a specimen regulation.

Exception: people vaccinated or recovered from an infection except when entering from virus variant areas

From 9 May 2021, an obligatory quarantine period no longer applies for entries from risk areas and high incidence areas for those who have been vaccinated or who have recovered from an infection.

People who have been vaccinated are those who have received all required doses of a COVID‑19 vaccine listed on the website of the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut.(https://www.pei.de/DE/arzneimittel/i...d-19-node.html). A period of at least 14 days must have elapsed since receiving the last vaccine dose. Vaccinated persons must not display any symptoms typical of a COVID‑19 infection.

Individuals who have recovered from an infection are those who can submit a positive PCR test that was conducted at least 28 days previously but no more than six months ago and who do not demonstrate any symptoms typical of a COVID‑19 infection.

A mandatory quarantine period continues to apply to people entering the country having stayed in virus variant areas and for those who were in contact with a virus variant that is not yet widespread in Germany.

Further information about regulations for people who have been vaccinated or who have recovered from an infection is available on the website of the German Government.
https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/coronavirus/2317268

blitzen May 13, 2021 12:01 pm

The Auswaertiges Amt states (in the German version ) that the pre-test flight can be substituted by completed vaccinations. That is what I was referring to ... even official websites seem to show different info (maybe some were not updated yet)

Testpflicht und Nachweispflicht für Geimpfte und Genesene bei Einreise nach Deutschland

Reisende ab sechs Jahren müssen im Rahmen der Einreise nach Deutschland folgende Nachweise vorlegen können:
  • bei einem Voraufenthalt in den letzten 10 Tagen in einem Virusvariantengebiet: negatives Covid-19-Testergebnis. Der Nachweis ist vor der Einreise erforderlich und muss gegebenenfalls auch der Fluggesellschaft vor Reiseantritt vorgewiesen werden.
  • bei einem Voraufenthalt in den letzten 10 Tagen in einem Hochinzidenzgebiet: negatives Covid-19-Testergebnis, Nachweis über vollständige Covid-19-Impfung oder Nachweis über die Genesung nach einer Infektion. Der Nachweis ist vor der Einreise erforderlich und muss gegebenenfalls auch der Fluggesellschaft vor Reiseantritt vorgewiesen werden.
    Ausnahmen bestehen insbesondere für Personen, die ohne Zwischenaufenthalt durch ein Hochinzidenzgebiet durchgereist sind sowie zur Durchreise durch Deutschland auf dem schnellsten Weg.
https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/q...nreise/2371468

Manchmal ist es gut Deutsch zu sprechen :)

fransknorge May 13, 2021 12:08 pm

It might be that the exemption of test prior boarding for vaccinated people only applies to German citizens or residents ?

OK it seems the German health minister is not properly informed, and thus all newspapers who followed his comments got it wrong.

TIMATIC says (for an itinerary Greece-Germany):

• Passengers will be refused entry unless they are holding confirmation of a successful digital entry registration, which can be completed online at https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/ before entering Germany, due to the outbreak of Covid-19. This does not apply to passengers who have only been to 'green' countries in the past 10 days. Passengers will be informed if they are exempt in the above link.

A paper form is only accepted as a replacement if the electronic registration is out of order or if the passenger does not have access to the electronic registration.
  • Passengers are not permitted to enter Germany unless they meet one of the following conditions:
    1. they are holding a negative Covid-19 test certificate. The test must be performed within 72 hours before arrival in Germany for nucleic acid tests (PCR, LAMP and TMA tests are accepted), or must be performed within 48 hours before arrival in Germany for antigen tests. The test certificate must be in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish, and is accepted in either digital or printed format;
    2. they are holding a vaccination certificate proving that they have been fully vaccinated; or
    3. they are holding proof of recovery from Covid-19.
    Please note that passengers who have been to areas of variants of concern (VOC) (which are Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini, India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa) in the past 10 days before arriving in Germany must present a negative Covid-19 test certificate. A vaccination certificate or proof of recovery will not be accepted for these passengers.

The requirement to hold a negative Covid-19 test certificate does not apply to the following passengers:
    1. passengers in transit;
    2. passengers transiting via Germany to a country in the Schengen area.
  • Passengers who have stayed in the United Kingdom or South Africa in the past 10 days are required to either hold a negative Covid-19 test result tested within 24 hours before arrival in Düsseldorf, Munich or and Nürnberg or undergo a Covid-19 test upon arrival.
  • Passengers must quarantine for a minimum of 5 days due to the outbreak of Covid-19. They may seek a diagnostic test on day 5, and if a negative result is received, the passenger is allowed to exit quarantine. If the passenger chooses to not undergo the diagnostic test, they must quarantine for 10 days.

This does not apply to the following passengers:
    1. passengers entering for less than 72 hours for family, urgent care, transport or diplomatic reasons;
    2. cross-border commuters;
    3. members of foreign armed forces who travel to Germany for official purposes;
    4. passengers travelling for work provided their workplaces comply with Covid-19 measures and restrictions;
    5. passengers travelling for urgent medical treatment;
    6. diplomats and staff of international organisations, provided holding certification by their employer;
    7. passengers who are essential personnel, or healthcare professionals, provided holding certification by their employer;
    8. passengers travelling for urgent education or training purposes, provided holding certification from their educational institution;
    9. passengers travelling for the preparation, participation, implementation and follow-up of international sports events, provided holding a written or electronic negative test result in relation to an infection with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus in German, English or French issued within 48 hours prior to arrival;
    10. passengers holding proof of vaccination or proof of recovery from Covid-19, provided they have not spent time in an area of variants of concern (VOC) (which are Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini, India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa) prior to entry.
  • Passengers travelling to Hamburg must quarantine for 10 days on arrival, due to the outbreak of Covid-19. They must register with the Hamburg Service at https://serviceportal.hamburg.de/Ham...Entry/AFM_MERG, and may submit a Covid-19 test result in German, English, or French 5 days after arrival. The quarantine period may end on the 5th day, provided a negative result is received.
  • Passengers who have spent time in an area of variants of concern (VOC) (which are Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini, India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa) prior to entry will be required to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Germany.
  • Passengers travelling to Hesse must quarantine for 10 days on arrival, due to the outbreak of Covid-19.

This does not apply to:
    1. passengers in transit through Germany who do not display any symptoms of Covid-19;
    2. passengers holding a medical certificate obtained within 48 hours proving they are free of Covid-19; or
    3. employees of transport companies who have been abroad for less than 72 hours or who have been in Hesse for less than 48 hours.
  • All permanent residents in Greece departing on international flights from any Greek airports must hold one of the following, due to the outbreak of Covid-19.
    1. A valid e-PLF receipt and a QR code confirming they, or someone they are travelling with (e.g. parent, tour guide), has submitted a Passenger Locator Form (PLF) at https://travel.gov.gr/#/ at least 24 hours before check in;
    2. An email from the Greek authorities confirming the PLF has been submitted.
    Family or travel companions can travel under one QR code, provided they are all mentioned in the QR code and the Passenger Locator Form.
  • Passengers will be refused entry unless they complete a Passenger Locator Card (Aussteigekarte), due to the outbreak of Covid-19. Passengers must also quarantine for 10 days on arrival in Germany.

This does not apply to passengers arriving from 'green' countries. Passengers can check if they are exempt on the following website: https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/
  • Passengers may find regulations for entering Germany in connection with Covid-19 at https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...sende_Tab.html.
  • Passengers need to wear a FFP, KN95/N95 or surgical grade face mask during their entire flight, as well as on all public transport, indoor public areas, or busy outdoor areas in Germany, due to the outbreak of Covid-19.

notquiteaff May 15, 2021 6:59 am

With the EU and Germany planning to roll out digital vaccine “passports” I wonder if the US CDC cards will actually be accepted.

Originally Posted by blitzen (Post 33248452)
EU approved vaccine) that is allowed to enter wouldn't need a negative covid test before the flight to germany (and no quarantine afterwards). That makes my flight next month easier .... but not all websites show the same use of language so the "pre flight test" part isn't 100% clear

I have a trip booked for next month as well. If yours is before the middle of June, would appreciate to hear if you traveled successfully with just the CDC card.

slicktony May 15, 2021 10:34 am

Christ alive, this is confusing to follow. I'm thoroughly lost.

If some kind soul has the time, can they explain to me whether currently either:

1) a person who is resident in the UK, fully vaxxed, and travelling from there on a Polish passport can enter Germany for non-essential purposes; or

2) person who is resident in the UK, fully vaxxed, and travelling from there on a UK passport can enter Germany for non-essential purposes.

and if so, what conditions (tests, quarantine) apply.

We're not hoping to go until July and of course, the situation will change, but my wife (the 'it will be fine' optimist) and I (the 'we're stuck on this bloody island forever' pessimist) have been arguing about the rules for 24 hours now and need an official ruling. :)

notquiteaff May 15, 2021 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by slicktony (Post 33253512)
Christ alive, this is confusing to follow. I'm thoroughly lost.

If some kind soul has the time, can they explain to me whether currently either:

1) a person who is resident in the UK, fully vaxxed, and travelling from there on a Polish passport can enter Germany for non-essential purposes; or

2) person who is resident in the UK, fully vaxxed, and travelling from there on a UK passport can enter Germany for non-essential purposes.

and if so, what conditions (tests, quarantine) apply.

We're not hoping to go until July and of course, the situation will change, but my wife (the 'it will be fine' optimist) and I (the 'we're stuck on this bloody island forever' pessimist) have been arguing about the rules for 24 hours now and need an official ruling. :)

I bolded what I think is the key factor here. The two people are residents of the UK, a non-EU country. The following applies:

In principle, entry is possible from:
  • EU member states
  • states associated with Schengen: Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein
  • other countries from which entry is possible in light of the epidemiological situation assessment by the EU.

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/coronavirus/2317268

“other countries” links to

Germany allows unrestricted entry for residents of the following countries:
  • Australia
  • Israel (as of 8 May 2021, 0:00 a.m.)
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Thailand
In addition, the list is to be expanded to include
  • China
  • Hong Kong and Macao SARs of the People’s Republic of China
as soon as the possibility of mutual entry is confirmed.

For all persons residing in a third country that is not included in the above list, the current restrictions on travel continue to apply, i.e. these persons may enter Germany only if they serve in an important role or if there is an urgent need for their travel (see What constitutes an urgent need for travel?). A person is considered to reside in a country if they have their domicile or habitual residence there. A person is specifically considered to have their domicile in a country if they have spent the past six months there.
https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/f...html#f13919566

Non-essential travel to Germany is not allowed for UK residents, so vaccinations and test rules at this time don’t matter. But I suspect that will change a few more times before July.

(hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong; you are absolutely right that the rules are confusing and it doesn’t help that the information is spread over the websites of three or four ministries (ignoring individual states’ sites) and the RKI site)

blitzen May 15, 2021 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 33253095)
With the EU and Germany planning to roll out digital vaccine “passports” I wonder if the US CDC cards will actually be accepted.

I have a trip booked for next month as well. If yours is before the middle of June, would appreciate to hear if you traveled successfully with just the CDC card.

you won’t be able to get a EU/German /…. Vaccine passport I would think as everything I read it is for people living in I.e. Germany who are in the system- but as they specify languages the very needs to be in and the vaccine that can be used the paper cert should be usable too

slicktony May 15, 2021 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 33253977)
Non-essential travel to Germany is not allowed for UK residents, so vaccinations and test rules at this time don’t matter. But I suspect that will change a few more times before July.

Indeed. Thank you for taking the time to clarify the current situation.

ACC2008 May 19, 2021 6:00 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 33253095)

We are in the same boat. My wife and I have been vaccinated and have CDC cards so am hoping we should be OK. We are also travelling with a 10 year old and 12 year old child and am wondering if they need to be COVID tested before entering Germany. We are just transferring (after over night stay) to Nairobi. So will be in Frankfurt for a rest stop of 24 hours.
Thanks

oliver2002 May 19, 2021 11:32 pm

Anyone over 6 needs a test if they are not vaccinated or had covid19 in the past 6months.

Tenniscan May 30, 2021 6:14 pm

I am planning on going to Germany in early July as a participant in an international (ITF) tennis tournament...is there documentation necessary to prove I am participating? I have my online entry but I can get an invitation if necessary from the tournament director. Though there is prize money, it’s more of an amateur event but sanctioned by the International Tennis Federation. I am a US citizens and fully (Pfizer) vaccinated. Plus Covid rates in California are quite low. I would be arriving in Germany after a week training in Spain.