Wiki Posts
Search

Germany removes quarantine requirement for many countries

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2021, 4:27 pm

Duplicate post

Last edited by slicktony; Jun 21, 2021 at 4:28 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Jun 21, 2021, 5:37 pm

Can someone clarify, if traveling LAX-LHR-FRA, do you have to quarantine on arrival in Germany since the UK is on a travel ban for variant of concern? I know the official rules exempt from quarantine/travel ban for transiting as long as you stay within the international transit side of the airport. But when you arrive at T5 and exit to T3 for the connecting flight, don't you leave the "international" side?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mxracer95
Can someone clarify, if traveling LAX-LHR-FRA, do you have to quarantine on arrival in Germany since the UK is on a travel ban for variant of concern? I know the official rules exempt from quarantine/travel ban for transiting as long as you stay within the international transit side of the airport. But when you arrive at T5 and exit to T3 for the connecting flight, don't you leave the "international" side?
Yes. If you've travelled through a virus variant area and enter Germany, it doesn't matter if you stayed airside or not - there are still no exemptions from quarantine unfortunately:

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/e...ndAufenthalt#3

I think the exemption you might be thinking of applies to those who are transiting through Germany.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by slicktony
Okay, just to check that I have this right:

- If I am double vaxxed, I can now go from London to France
- stay in France for 10 days to clean myself of the stigma of coming from a virus variant of concern area; and
Then take the train over the border in to Germany, all without having to isolate at any stage?

is this correct and If so where’s the catch?
I think the catch is that you have to spend 10 days in France before you can enter Germany! 😁
slicktony likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by slicktony
Okay, just to check that I have this right:

- If I am double vaxxed, I can now go from London to France
- stay in France for 10 days to clean myself of the stigma of coming from a virus variant of concern area; and
Then take the train over the border in to Germany, all without having to isolate at any stage?

is this correct and If so where’s the catch?
Technically speaking:

Fully vaxxed, not double vaxxed. That means the number of doses needed for your vaccine and particular case, with the most recent shot 2+ weeks ago.

- J&J is a single dose vaccine
- recovered Covid patients often only get one shot of a two-dose vaccine and are considered fully vaccinated (but they will probably have fun convincing people of that… do the digital passes consider that case?)

But yeah, you should be fine.

Originally Posted by mustafina
I think the catch is that you have to spend 10 days in France before you can enter Germany! 😁
I’d love to spend ten days in France.
slicktony and mustafina like this.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jun 22, 2021 at 1:37 pm
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:29 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Transited through FRA yesterday, on way through BCN.

The police gave my CDC card right away, without looking much at it. He looked over my passport and boarding passes, asked the purpose of my trip.

I told him tourism.

he asked if I had money and credit cards. So I showed him my cards.

he stamped my newly renewed passport, the first stamp on it.

whole interaction took a couple of minutes, probably a lot longer than it would be pre pandemic, though he didn’t look at my CDC card nor asked for test results.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:06 am

Deutschlandfunk is reporting that 14 day ‘Variant Concern’ quarantine restrictions have been imposed by Germany on arrivals on Portugal and Russia due to the Delta variant.

This comes into effect from Tuesday, and if I’m understanding the article correctly applies even if you’ve been fully vaccinated.

Meanwhile on Sunday the Netherlands, Denmark, Luxembourg, Latvia, Slovenia and parts of Sweden and Croatia will be removed as “risk areas”.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by squawk
Deutschlandfunk is reporting that 14 day ‘Variant Concern’ quarantine restrictions have been imposed by Germany on arrivals on Portugal and Russia due to the Delta variant.

This comes into effect from Tuesday, and if I’m understanding the article correctly applies even if you’ve been fully vaccinated.
Correct, and you can’t shorten the 14 day quarantine by submitting a negative test.

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...ublicationFile
squawk likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Correct, and you can’t shorten the 14 day quarantine by submitting a negative test.

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...ublicationFile
Yup, sorry - I should have made this explicit but assumed people knew about it because it is standard for the 'area of variant concern'. This is the same as applies to the UK and various other places.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:38 pm

From 7 July, Germany is removing UK, India, Nepal, Russia and Portugal from the list of virus variant areas:

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...biete_neu.html

All are now listed as high-incidence areas.
LETTERBOY, slicktony and mxracer95 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:04 pm

I'M traveling DFW > FRA Friday July 9. I'm fully vaccinated and have my CDC card. My jabs were at the State Fairgrounds from Dallas County Health and Human Services. The caed shows the dates of each vaccine, The type and serial # of each vaccine dose (Moderna in my case) and of course my name and the DCHHS. The only thing not on the card is a patient ID#. I assume that's OK?

Has anyone had any trouble getting through customs with their CDC card?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by tomjtx
I'M traveling DFW > FRA Friday July 9. I'm fully vaccinated and have my CDC card. My jabs were at the State Fairgrounds from Dallas County Health and Human Services. The caed shows the dates of each vaccine, The type and serial # of each vaccine dose (Moderna in my case) and of course my name and the DCHHS. The only thing not on the card is a patient ID#. I assume that's OK?

The German Embassy specifically says the CDC card is sufficient.

Edit: when I go I am getting a COVID test before I go just as a backup as that gives you entry too.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by tomjtx

Just as a point of information, it’s not Customs, but Immigration (Border Control) that will be checking your documents and allowing you into the country.

With your CDC card, you should be good to go. You should be reading the info on your airline’s website. It should be very helpful, as mine (United) was.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Just as a point of information, it’s not Customs, but Immigration (Border Control) that will be checking your documents and allowing you into the country.
In theory. In practice, at least a couple of weeks ago at FRA, the Bundespolizei just checked my passport, but didn’t want to see my CDC card (I offered). The only check in that case was done by the AA agent at DFW when issuing the boarding pass. Obviously, things can and will change often and may even depend on the officer you happen to get.

But yes, the CDC card should be sufficient. And the patient id number is not very useful as it is unique only in the medical records system that perhaps was used to track your vaccinations. None of the cards issued at the mass vaccination site in my county has that number filled in.

Originally Posted by N104UA
Edit: when I go I am getting a COVID test before I go just as a backup as that gives you entry too.
My backup was the yellow WHO vaccine passport; my local public health department was happy to record the Covid vaccinations in it. Pretty sure my PCP would have done it, too, since they have access to the EMR system that my shots are recorded in.
N104UA likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:58 pm

Thanks! That is good to know. I did verify with AA that the CDC card is all I need in order to board.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.