Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germany removes quarantine requirement for many countries

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Tenniscan
I am planning on going to Germany in early July as a participant in an international (ITF) tennis tournament...is there documentation necessary to prove I am participating? I have my online entry but I can get an invitation if necessary from the tournament director. Though there is prize money, it’s more of an amateur event but sanctioned by the International Tennis Federation. I am a US citizens and fully (Pfizer) vaccinated. Plus Covid rates in California are quite low. I would be arriving in Germany after a week training in Spain.
I think that as long as Spain have allowed you entry to the Schengen area, you can travel freely to Germany. If I'm reading the rules correctly, you just need to register online before arrival in Germany and bring proof of your vaccination - no need to have a reason for entry:

https://www.germany.info/us-en/covid-19/2321562

The only issue you might face is if the US or any other countries you have visited during the previous 10 days becomes a "virus variant of concern" area by the time of entry to Germany, which would necessitate a mandatory 14-day quarantine on arrival regardless of vaccination status.

You have probably already done so, but I'd definitely check the entry requirements for Spain to make sure you can enter there, and see what if any proof you might need of your training plans or the tournament. I'm not familiar with Spain's rules, but if you were coming *directly* to Germany from the US on a non-German passport, you would not be permitted entry as a tourist, only as a professional athlete attending a professional tournament which is one of the current exceptions to the entry ban. I don't know what constitutes proof of that, but hopefully the tournament organisers would know, if you need it for Spain.

As always, the disclaimer that these are Covid times, and rules and requirements change constantly; also that I may have misinterpreted something. Almost certainly some aspect will be different by July!
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Tenniscan
I am planning on going to Germany in early July as a participant in an international (ITF) tennis tournament...is there documentation necessary to prove I am participating? I have my online entry but I can get an invitation if necessary from the tournament director. Though there is prize money, it’s more of an amateur event but sanctioned by the International Tennis Federation. I am a US citizens and fully (Pfizer) vaccinated. Plus Covid rates in California are quite low. I would be arriving in Germany after a week training in Spain.
Use this website https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/DEU/7001 to check the current rules to enter Germany . It depends from which country you enter (transiting in a Schengen Country to enter Germany is considered as if you enter Germany from a non-Schengen country) You must register prior entering Germany https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/ . There you can select that you are fully vaccinated which means there will be no quarantine for you.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by flyingfkb
There you can select that you are fully vaccinated which means there will be no quarantine for you.
Given that Germany is apparently going to go through a massive effort to provide residents with secure digital vaccine “passports” (and pay doctors and pharmacists to do it), are they just going to accept the US CDC paper cards as evidence of vaccination?

Has anyone successfully entered Germany with just the CDC card and no Covid test result?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Given that Germany is apparently going to go through a massive effort to provide residents with secure digital vaccine “passports” (and pay doctors and pharmacists to do it), are they just going to accept the US CDC paper cards as evidence of vaccination?
If they don't, no US citizen will be able to enter Germany for a VERY long time. The odds of the US ever adopting the kind of vaccine passport system that Europe is talking about are slim to none, and Slim just left town. The legal, political, and technological obstacles are insurmountable. The paper cards are all most Americans are going to have.

Has anyone successfully entered Germany with just the CDC card and no Covid test result?
I'd be interested to hear this as well.
​​​​​​​
photojojo and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Not sure there will be too many examples of this seeing as non-transit entry into Germany is still limited to German citizens and residents.
​​​​​
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
If they don't, no US citizen will be able to enter Germany for a VERY long time. The odds of the US ever adopting the kind of vaccine passport system that Europe is talking about are slim to none, and Slim just left town. The legal, political, and technological obstacles are insurmountable. The paper cards are all most Americans are going to have.
Yup, I realize that. Perhaps IATA could integrate with the state databases in states that are open to this (obviously with patient opt-in) or some of the major medical record system providers like EPIC.

https://www.iata.org/en/programs/passenger/travel-pass/

But I don’t even see a single US airline on the list of participants, so that might be a dead in the water initiative for US travelers anyway.

I don’t know how Germany and/or the EU could sell their citizens a digital system and justifying the cost (I heard Germany will pay 18 Euros to pharmacists and primary care docs to covert a yellow vaccine card record into a digital record) if we Americans could get the same rights and privileges by waving around a little white card stock card with handwritten information on it that can’t be verified by anyone.

Originally Posted by supine
Not sure there will be too many examples of this seeing as non-transit entry into Germany is still limited to German citizens and residents.
​​​​​
And a few other categories of eligible travelers. But there are plenty of flights going back and forth every day that there surely are some German citizens going home every day. Of course, they might not be on FT.

I have a trip booked for later this month and I am eligible to enter the country. The question is, do I need to bother with getting a rapid test, or will AA accept my CDC card? I am thinking I will do a test just in case.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jun 1, 2021 at 1:56 pm
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by supine
​​​​​
well I will know more in a week (German citizen and US resident) when I fly out
but the CDC very was named specifically on the official guidelines (now replaced by WHO Yellow Cert I think).
why wouldn’t the accept the cdc official cert? Every country has it’s own rules even inside the EU so there will be a lot of different certs
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blitzen
well I will know more in a week (German citizen and US resident) when I fly out
but the CDC very was named specifically on the official guidelines (now replaced by WHO Yellow Cert I think).
why wouldn’t the accept the cdc official cert? Every country has it’s own rules even inside the EU so there will be a lot of different certs
True, but that is why the EU is working on an interoperable digital Covid vaccine passport system with QR code.

Wonder if I can get a pharmacist to create a digital certificate for me based on the data on my CDC card (and maybe live Epic medical record system) once I get there.

Looking forward to your “trip report”. What airline are you flying to Germany?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:36 pm

why wouldn’t the accept the cdc official cert?
Because it’s widely known that you can buy counterfeit CDC cards on a bunch of websites.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...action-rcna802

United Air allows you to enter your vaccine data into their app. Not sure how they verify the info.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Because it’s widely known that you can buy counterfeit CDC cards on a bunch of websites.
and ? Same applies to negative Covid tests etc.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:41 pm

True, but that is why the EU is working on an interoperable digital Covid vaccine passport system with QR code.

Wonder if I can get a pharmacist to create a digital certificate for me based on the data on my CDC card (and maybe live Epic medical record system) once I get there.

Looking forward to your “trip report”. What airline are you flying to Germany?
tgere doesn’t seem to be a EU digital certificate- each county will have a standalone solution as it seems and a headline stated that the German one might be delayed until August

(I am flying LH)
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:46 pm

and ? Same applies to negative Covid tests etc.
Then, I guess, if the countries outside of the U.S. are smart, they won’t let Americans in since they won’t know who is honest or not.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Then, I guess, if the countries outside of the U.S. are smart, they won’t let Americans in since they won’t know who is honest or not.
and some don’t let Americans in right now anyway
you feel free whatever you want to believe but Germany not accepting an official US document would be very surprising
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, the German embassy in the US is still listing the CDC card as an acceptable document.

https://www.germany.info/us-de/covid-19/2321562

blitzen likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:04 pm

FWIW, the German embassy in the US is still listing the CDC card as an acceptable document.

https://www.germany.info/us-de/covid-19/2321562

i think I looked at the Bundesgesundheitsamt and they listed WHO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.