Reload this Page >

Fraport takes over security controls at FRA in 2023

Old May 8, 2021, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN

https://www.hessenschau.de/wirtschaf...rheit-100.html

Am Frankfurter Flughafen ist der Betreiber Fraport künftig selbst für die Sicherheitskontrollen zuständig. Bisher ist die Bundespolizei dafür verantwortlich. Die Neuregelung gilt ab 2023, wie das Bundesinnenministerium am Freitag in Berlin berichtete. Die Bundespolizei soll so entlastet werden.
Old May 8, 2021, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Will be interesting to see if the "customer service" improves...
Old May 8, 2021, 5:22 am

Programs: LH M+M
More outsourcing - I don't expect improvements.
Old May 8, 2021, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Full press release in English https://www.fraport.com/en/newsroom/...formance-.html

Relevant paragraphs about the justification for the change...
Fraport AG’s executive board chairman, Dr. Stefan Schulte, said: “We will assume management of aviation security at Frankfurt Airport from 2023. While this entails great responsibility, it will allow us to apply our experience and expertise to the operational management of the screening process – leading to reduced waiting times, to the benefit of all passengers.”

Before the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, waiting times at Frankfurt Airport checkpoints were one of the main causes of complaints among passengers and airlines. By assuming responsibility for screening tasks, Fraport hopes to implement integrated management of the majority of passenger-facing processes to achieve greater efficiency and potentially reduce waiting times.

Last edited by supine; May 8, 2021 at 2:31 pm
Old May 9, 2021, 3:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
More outsourcing - I don't expect improvements.
Better incentive alignment - I do expect improvements.

Fraport has more to gain from efficient security control. If people get through faster, they spend more money airside. And people spending airside supports one of the highest-margin parts of Fraport's business.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 11:45 am
Original Poster

I'm sure their social media person will be happy too. A ridiculous amount of their tweets, replies, etc etc were spent deflecting blame for the long wait times on to the federal police.
Old May 10, 2021, 1:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Total BS... the BuPo doesn't do the actual work, they just supervise what is going on. There is no government agency doing the actual staffing of checkpoints. This setup is the same at every German airport checkpoint. In FRA (and STR) the agency staffing the checkpoints is FRAsec which is a Fraport subsidiary: https://www.frasec.de/de.html FRAsec did quite a few mistakes in 2018-19, refusing to pay higher wages to their employees and then not training enough to meet the demand in FRA. This led to a perfect storm which all involved were very frustrated about.

The BuPo supervision is mandated by law. An airport operator cannot just decide to do the job without any law enforcement present.
PAX_fips likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 11:57 am

Based on posts #4 & #7, then, what is actually going to be the difference at FRA checkpoints? Any changes in the responsible agency?
Old May 10, 2021, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

My interpretation was the delineation between what Fraport was responsible for and what the federal police were responsible for was changing, with Fraport taking on more, but still being supervised.

But going by what oliver2002 wrote the press release might be just a whole lot of nothing.

🤷‍♂️
Old May 11, 2021, 12:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

My take is that they moved the line of responsibility a bit towards the model used in MUC & BER. (Operational planning and coordination by the security company, supervision by BuPo)
supine likes this.
Old May 11, 2021, 5:31 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Total BS... the BuPo doesn't do the actual work, they just supervise what is going on. There is no government agency doing the actual staffing of checkpoints. This setup is the same at every German airport checkpoint. In FRA (and STR) the agency staffing the checkpoints is FRAsec which is a Fraport subsidiary: https://www.frasec.de/de.html FRAsec did quite a few mistakes in 2018-19, refusing to pay higher wages to their employees and then not training enough to meet the demand in FRA. This led to a perfect storm which all involved were very frustrated about.

The BuPo supervision is mandated by law. An airport operator cannot just decide to do the job without any law enforcement present.
Thanks for confirming what I suspected, I was really puzzled how FRA could decide to remove law enforcement, either by their presence or as part of the responsability chain.
What I would expect is that FRAPORT become involved in setting up KPI and making sure those are met regarding passenger inflow, waiting time, etc ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.