Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

FRA Connections

FRA Connections

Old Apr 2, 2021, 5:10 am
Original Poster

FRA Connections

Hello!

I will be traveling from Italy to the USA via Frankfurt. I meet one of the exceptions for not having a negative covid test for entry into the USA, but am worried about the transfer in FRA.

When landing in FRA from Italy, will I be allowed to transit into my USA flight without a test?

thanks!

Last edited by tas246; Apr 2, 2021 at 6:44 am
Old Apr 2, 2021, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Figured out the answer. The FRA airport required negative for all transits now.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
A reminder that with the current restrictions to travel from Frankfurt to the USA, you would need to be a US citizen/resident or hold one of the several visa types that are exempted by the Presidential Proclamation.

Also, yes, Germany has implemented a new rule that all arriving passengers ( including transit passengers ) must have a negative COVID test taken at most 48 hours before arrival.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What is your citizenship or residency? Unless you are a US citizen or LPR you wont be permitted entry to the US on this itinerary and will likely be denied boarding in Italy. Is this on one ticket or two?
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Oneworld Silver
Hi... Does anyone know if there is a security check and a passport check when going from:

- Z to A, and
- B to A. ?

Just thinking of whether to book a slightly tighter connection than normal...
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerLX
Hi... Does anyone know if there is a security check and a passport check when going from:

- Z to A, and
- B to A. ?

Just thinking of whether to book a slightly tighter connection than normal...
Security:

Z -> A - If you arrive from a clean destination no security would be involved; if you arrive from a non-clean destination security would be involved.
Non-Schengen B -> A - You must clear security in all circumstances.
Schengen B -> A - No security is required.

Passport Control:

Non-Schengen to Schengen -> Of course you have passport control
Schengen to Schengen -> No passport control
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Security:

Z -> A - If you arrive from a clean destination no security would be involved; if you arrive from a non-clean destination security would be involved.
Non-Schengen B -> A - You must clear security in all circumstances.
Schengen B -> A - No security is required.

Passport Control:

Non-Schengen to Schengen -> Of course you have passport control
Schengen to Schengen -> No passport control
Thank you as always for your quick and high quality answer, ISTFlyer!!

Im intrigued about the clean destination bit... I recently flew Non-Schengen - MUC - Schengen... I was surprised there was no security at MUC, even though of course there was passport control... Is there a list of clean destinations defined by Germany? Or is it kept secret...? ... Or do different Lnder (Bavaria and Hessen) treat it differently?
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you as always for your quick and high quality answer, ISTFlyer!!

I’m intrigued about the “clean destination” bit... I recently flew Non-Schengen - MUC - Schengen... I was surprised there was no security at MUC, even though of course there was passport control... Is there a list of “clean” destinations defined by Germany? Or is it kept secret...? ... Or do different Lnder (Bavaria and Hessen) treat it differently?
I personally don't have the list of clean and non-clean destinations or don't have any information if there is a publicly available resource on that but as a general sense;

- The USA, Canada, Romania, Croatia, Bulgaria are clean.
- Turkey, India, Central South American countries are not clean.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
- The USA, Canada, Romania, Croatia, Bulgaria are clean.
- Turkey, India, Central South American countries are not clean.
.... I see... So in that case, why the difference in traffic from B to A (definitely security) and Z to A (security only from non-clean) ? After all, an arriving flight from, say, USA can arrive on B or on Z, cant it...??
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.... I see... So in that case, why the difference in traffic from B to A (definitely security) and Z to A (security only from non-clean) ? After all, an arriving flight from, say, USA can arrive on B or on Z, cant it...??
A flight from USA can arrive at B or Z, and even C ( but C is closed at the moment ) and the fact whether you would clear security or not would depend on your arrival gate.
Pre-COVID, there was a B60->Z13 airside shuttle for passengers arriving from a clean destination at Non-Schengen B to not re-clear security but that is discontinued since COVID.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Even if you arrive clean in non-Schengen B there is no way to get to A/Z without exiting the secure zone.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:50 pm

So...

If I go B to A... I will definitely have security, even if I use the tunnel...?

If I go Z to A, I might have security or might not. I still dont get how they decide... Are some Z gates for clean arrivals and some for non-clean? Or does it depend on whether a clean and non-clean flight come in at the same time, meaning that all transfer pax then have to go through security?
Old Jul 31, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN
So...

If I go B to A... I will definitely have security, even if I use the tunnel...?
The tunnel connects A to Schengen B. The passport control to enter Schengen in B is outside security.

If I go Z to A, I might have security or might not. I still dont get how they decide... Are some Z gates for clean arrivals and some for non-clean? Or does it depend on whether a clean and non-clean flight come in at the same time, meaning that all transfer pax then have to go through security?
It depends on where your flight is coming from. E.g. from USA you arrive clean. But if you get a B gate it doesn't help you, still need to exit security to get to A/Z/Schengen B

Both B and Z gates can operate clean (you just walk into the secure area) or dirty (B gate you are routed to non-secure corridors, Z you get put on a bus).
Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by supine
The tunnel connects A to Schengen B.
I have also recently used it to go from A to non-Schengen B.... No security.

.. And it must be possible to use it in the other direction, I guess, because there was a moving walkway going in the other direction with people on it...

Originally Posted by supine
Both B and Z gates can operate clean (you just walk into the secure area) or dirty (B gate you are routed to non-secure corridors, Z you get put on a bus
.... And I guess if a clean and non-clean flight arrive on stand at a similar time on Z, all pax have to be treated as non-clean...? Maybe they try to avoid that happening.

Last edited by FlyerLX; Jul 31, 2021 at 2:35 pm
Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have also recently used it to go from A to non-Schengen B.... No security.
However, the passport control that you used is only available on the Schengen->Non-Schengen direction.
There is no Non-Schengen->Schengen passport control located in airside Non-Schengen B, thus the only way is to go upstairs, leave the secure area and clear passport control over there.

.... And I guess if a clean and non-clean flight arrive on stand at a similar time on Z, all pax have to be viewed as dirty...? Maybe they try to avoid that happening.
No, that is not the case.
Passengers arriving from a non-clean arrival would be released at Level 4 and clean Non-Schengen arrivals would be released into Level 3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.