Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Flight Brazil-Germany with non-German family member

Old Feb 10, 21, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

As a German, I have a question around a planned flight from Brazil to Germany with a non-German immediate family member (my son, recently born in Brazil and without a German passport). As Brazil is considered a virus mutation area, German nationals and residents can board the flight.

On immediate family members of Germans, the information differs: While the BMI writes that it should be no issue („Einreisen und Beförderungen aus Virusvarianten-Gebieten sind für folgende Personen bzw. in folgenden Fällen möglich:
  1. Deutsche Staatsangehörige sowie Mitglieder der Kernfamilie von deutschen Staatsangehörigen aus Drittstaaten, falls diese mit dem deutschen Staatsangehörigen gemeinsam einreisen. Zur "Kernfamilie" gehören Ehegatten, eingetragene Lebenspartner, minderjährige Kinder und Eltern minderjähriger Kinder“), Lufthansa and Timatic have stricter rules:
Passengers arriving from Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini (Swaziland), Ireland (Rep.), Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Portugal, South Africa, United Kingdom, Zambia or Zimbabwe are not allowed to enter.
- This does not apply to nationals and residents of Germany.
(https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php)

It appears Timatic does not fully cover the German restrictions which may leave my 2 month old (born in Brazil, so far only with a Brazilian passport) stranded in Brazil while mom (German resident) and I (German) can fly. Any thoughts? Should I reach out to Lufthansa/Timatic to correct this, are agents aware in Sao Paulo, should I write the Bundespolizei to request confirmation that he can enter...?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 11, 21, 12:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Don't worry, the fact that the baby is definitely immediate family will resolve the issue. Write an Email to the BuPo to have something in writing to show LH at checkin.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 11, 21, 3:46 am

As oliver2002 mentioned this should be fine. Just be sure to have any documentation that will support this (e.g. birth certificate) and not just their standard travel documents.
Old Feb 11, 21, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply! I wrote the Bundespolizei and hope this works.
Old Feb 11, 21, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
You said in your OP that your son is not German - but unless you were born outside of Germany (and after 2000) he should automatically acquire German citizenship at birth, independent of place of birth or documentation, shouldn't he?

So the first part "Staatsangehörige ..." should cover him already. Certainly if you were born in Germany you can establish his German citizenship even with a Brazilian birth certificate: your passport shows you were born in Germany and your son's birth certificate establishes that he is your son, and therefore German.

This may (or may not) be an easier route to argue...
Old Feb 12, 21, 1:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Children born to Germans abroad are not automatically German citizens, there are a lot of things to check first Usually the process is to report the birth to the responsible German consulate who fill out a form and verify all available documents and send everything to the 'Standesamt I' in Berlin. The mandarins there usually come back with a few questions and eventually issue the German Birth Certifcate which then counts as proof of German citizenship for future use. This process took a few months for my first son, and 'only' two months for my second son at the Chicago consulate, after which the consulate issued the children with the kiddie passport(s). The consulate can issue immidiate travel documents if absolutely needed, but the consulate advised against it since we already had US passports for both.
GUWonder, Often1 and offerendum like this.
Old Feb 13, 21, 5:37 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ballin44 View Post
Hi all,

As a German, I have a question around a planned flight from Brazil to Germany with a non-German immediate family member (my son, recently born in Brazil and without a German passport). As Brazil is considered a virus mutation area, German nationals and residents can board the flight.
Contact the German embassy https://brasil.diplo.de/br-de that your son was born.

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/s...606230-0-panel

Für deutsche Staatsangehörige, die ab dem 01.01.2000 bereits im Ausland geboren wurden, gilt: Deren Kinder erwerben bei Geburt im Ausland die deutsche Staatsangehörigkeit nur, wenn die Eltern die Geburt des Kindes binnen eines Jahres bei der zuständigen deutschen Auslandsvertretung anzeigen.
Old Feb 13, 21, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by flyingfkb View Post
Contact the German embassy https://brasil.diplo.de/br-de that your son was born.

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/s...606230-0-panel

Für deutsche Staatsangehörige, die ab dem 01.01.2000 bereits im Ausland geboren wurden, gilt: Deren Kinder erwerben bei Geburt im Ausland die deutsche Staatsangehörigkeit nur, wenn die Eltern die Geburt des Kindes binnen eines Jahres bei der zuständigen deutschen Auslandsvertretung anzeigen.
Is the OP 21 or under?
Old Feb 14, 21, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Over it also seems not viable given the embassy needs confirmation of the “Abmeldung” in Germany, but as we are residents in Germany (just stayed abroad for a couple of months) I can’t actually get a passport for my son.
Old Feb 18, 21, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Children born to Germans abroad are not automatically German citizens, there are a lot of things to check first Usually the process is to report the birth to the responsible German consulate who fill out a form and verify all available documents and send everything to the 'Standesamt I' in Berlin. The mandarins there usually come back with a few questions and eventually issue the German Birth Certifcate which then counts as proof of German citizenship for future use. This process took a few months for my first son, and 'only' two months for my second son at the Chicago consulate, after which the consulate issued the children with the kiddie passport(s). The consulate can issue immidiate travel documents if absolutely needed, but the consulate advised against it since we already had US passports for both.
If a parent was born in Germany or before 2000, the child is a German citizen by birth. Berlin I only applies when the German parent(s) was (were) born abroad. If parent born in Germany, the Standesamt who issued the parent’s birth certificate is responsible.

see https://brasil.diplo.de/br-de/servic...339186-1-panel

OP, if you were born in Germany or before 2000, your child is automatically German. Just did the whole thing with my son, born abroad to a German parent.
Old Feb 18, 21, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by ballin44 View Post
Over it also seems not viable given the embassy needs confirmation of the “Abmeldung” in Germany, but as we are residents in Germany (just stayed abroad for a couple of months) I can’t actually get a passport for my son.
just saw this. So your son is German. The consulate should be able to issue a temporary travel document to return to Germany. Might be a bit more expensive if not abgemeldet but would resolve all ambiguity.

see

Reiseausweis zur Rückkehr nach Deutschland

at

https://brasil.diplo.de/br-de/service/paesse/1009138

Search this Thread
Search Engine: