FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Flying LHR-MUC then train to Austria? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/2027576-flying-lhr-muc-then-train-austria.html)

Gagravarr Oct 26, 2020 10:13 am

Flying LHR-MUC then train to Austria?

We were supposed to by flying from Heathrow to Vienna, but both BA and Austrian have gutted their schedules for the outbound dates, and what's left isn't looking a great time. However, BA still have loads of flights into Munich, so I was wondering about flying LHR-MUC then taking the train from Munich to Vienna via Salzburg. (Seems a bit of a mad routing I know, but the timings seem to work!)

From my reading of the Austrian rules, they seem OK (at the moment!) with UK nationals+residents arriving directly, or arriving via Germany

Via the thread "Spain-Munich-Finland, overnight layover: Do I need a Corona test?" I've come across https://www.stmgp.bayern.de/wp-conte..._eqv_en_bf.pdf which seems to suggest that Bavaria will allow people from higher risk areas like the UK to fly in and then transit out of Bavaria directly. Not sure if that document is still accurate / applies though.

Anyone know if I've understood the current rules right, and if s-bahn to the city centre then pre-booked train to Salzburg will be allowed?

AlienInTheFatherland Oct 26, 2020 10:41 am

In your shoes, depending on when you're travelling I would be looking to transfer air-to-air somewhere in Germany like HAM, DUS, FRA using LH Group

If you aren't travelling until mid-Decemebr then I would look at EasyJet LGW-VIE direct.

Train transfer would be a bit of a pain in the neck. It's a five hour journey.

flyertalker28120 Oct 26, 2020 12:09 pm

Yeah, I've got a trip to VIE coming up as well and noticed the schedule ex LHR is pretty terrible. I suggest to either route on KL via AMS, LH via FRA, or bite the bullet and make the early-morning trip out to STN and endure flying FR.

EDIT: LX may be another option.

Romanianflyer Oct 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Transits through Germany ("durchreise") are allowed as long as you leave the country immediately on a direct route and don't linger around/stay overnight. Practically, this is interpreted as leaving on the same day. It's fine if you book a train ticket for a few hours after departure at MUC to err on the side of caution in case of a flight delay.

Do however count on border guards at MUC to be inquisitive. At the very least you should bring a confirmed same day train ticket out of the country to show them. They might also ask for your purpose of your visit to Austria/proof you will not be denied there at the border.

I've transited Germany twice like this in the last days coming from a high risk country (once into HAM, out by train; the other time from Czech Republic by train into Bavaria to FRA for my flight out). Questions were asked but on showing trip documentation transit wasnt a problem at all.

One big caveat is however the new lockdown and measures in Germany. AFAIK this will not affect transit rules as nothing was mentioned in the draft text, but best to keep a close watch/check carefully.

flyertalker28120 Oct 29, 2020 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer (Post 32780170)
One big caveat is however the new lockdown and measures in Germany. AFAIK this will not affect transit rules as nothing was mentioned in the draft text, but best to keep a close watch/check carefully.

My understanding is all they announced was to tighten enforcement, including random checks in a 30 km radius around ports of entry etc.

Romanianflyer Oct 29, 2020 4:06 am

Originally Posted by funkydrummer (Post 32780497)
My understanding is all they announced was to tighten enforcement, including random checks in a 30 km radius around ports of entry etc.

Quite a bit more though! All restaurants/pubs closed, no hotel stays allowed (not even for Germans!) unless you are on business or other vital purposes/reasons.

flyertalker28120 Oct 29, 2020 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer (Post 32780535)
Quite a bit more though! All restaurants/pubs closed, no hotel stays allowed (not even for Germans!) unless you are on business or other vital purposes/reasons.

Oops, I suppose my post wasn't clear: I meant no new rules with regards to entry and transit except for increased enforcement. Of course, there are a number of other new restrictions as I posted last night over here.

LondonElite Oct 29, 2020 5:40 am

If this trip is in November, forget about transit through Germany. It will be hugely inconvenient with nothing open and nothing catering to tourist transit traffic. My guess, though, is that Austria will impose a similar lockdown in due course.

offerendum Oct 29, 2020 6:28 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32780610)
If this trip is in November, forget about transit through Germany. It will be hugely inconvenient with nothing open and nothing catering to tourist transit traffic. My guess, though, is that Austria will impose a similar lockdown in due course.

I think you are correct. At the moment they discuss a curfew at nighttime. Much harder than Germany, but Austria was always a little bit stricter. I decided to limit everything possible as it's not fun at the moment. I will most likely also cancel my Sylvester trip for many reasons, one is staying at a hotel at the moment is nothing I really like as it is much worse than in summer.

Romanianflyer Oct 29, 2020 8:48 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32780610)

Hmm it depends on. I don't see any reason why it would be so much different (talking about a German transit - I won't comment on a stay in Austria as I know next to nothing about it).

Sure, it's not the good-old normal, but I don't see any huge inconveniences whether driving or taking the train. German Railways for example announced that its dining cars on ICE/IC trains would close for sit-down meals but take-away to seats is still allowed. Same counts for station shops. You can stock up on supplies for your journey.

I have another flight to HAM planned as well next week (with the intention to catch the Gothenburg ferry from Kiel) and I don't see any reason why I should forget about the transit through Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein. Last two times flying to HAM and transiting onwards to Poland/Czech Republic was a breeze.

LondonElite Oct 29, 2020 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer (Post 32780939)
Hmm it depends on. I don't see any reason why it would be so much different (talking about a German transit - I won't comment on a stay in Austria as I know next to nothing about it).

Sure, it's not the good-old normal, but I don't see any huge inconveniences whether driving or taking the train. German Railways for example announced that its dining cars on ICE/IC trains would close for sit-down meals but take-away to seats is still allowed. Same counts for station shops. You can stock up on supplies for your journey.

I have another flight to HAM planned as well next week (with the intention to catch the Gothenburg ferry from Kiel) and I don't see any reason why I should forget about the transit through Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein. Last two times flying to HAM and transiting onwards to Poland/Czech Republic was a breeze.

A lockdown-light starts on Monday. That means it won’t be the same as the last two times. No restaurants or hotels will be open and the general infrastructure you rely on for hassle free travel won’t be there. The whole point of the lockdown is to massively reduce movement and contact of people, which a multi-channel transit doesn’t really square with.

Romanianflyer Oct 29, 2020 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32781137)
A lockdown-light starts on Monday. That means it won’t be the same as the last two times. No restaurants or hotels will be open and the general infrastructure you rely on for hassle free travel won’t be there. The whole point of the lockdown is to massively reduce movement and contact of people, which a multi-channel transit doesn’t really square with.

Sure, it won't be the same. I dont disagree with you there.

Bur for all intents and purposes it still won't affect a transit as described by the OP. Even if Merkel wants to reduce movements (fine by me!) - then what are the exact changes impacting OP now? AFAIK, he/she can still travel as planned according to the law. And in the end that's all that counts.