FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Is TXL enforcing 'one piece of hand baggage' rule (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/2021696-txl-enforcing-one-piece-hand-baggage-rule.html)

Markie Jul 15, 2020 10:03 pm

Is TXL enforcing 'one piece of hand baggage' rule

I see that TXL's web site and Facebook page is stating that only one piece of hand baggage per passenger is allowed. Can anyone please confirm this?
Thanks

bhomburg Jul 15, 2020 10:29 pm

No, not in my experience.

offvoice Jul 16, 2020 7:26 am

I flew from TXL Monday and can confirm it was enforced at Terminal C.

They specifically told me that being an AF Platinum and/or flying business class didn't have any impact as those were "official rules".

My personal experience:
2 PAX, with 1 carry-on, a backpack (regular, computer size), a hand-bag, and two cushions (don't ask, but it wasn't big ones, smaller than a backpack). We would usually fly with this no issue (and no issue inbound from CDG btw). But ex-TXL, the gate agent told us it was only one piece per PAX. We tried to negotiate a bit, checked-in the carryon, did some matryoshka magic with the backpack and the handbag, and went to the security line, where we were kindly asked to go back to the check-in desk and check either the backpack or one of the cushion.

We might have been unlucky since after clearing security, we did see a couple of people with carry-on + handbag (but no carry-on + backpacks though)

FLYGVA Jul 16, 2020 8:31 am

A colleague returned and mentioned that she was enforced to check his small carry one, because she also had a handbag (like moste female traveler). She was annoyed, because she now had to carry the laptop and thus were two pieces and not allowed either. Went fine after escalating it (and traveling for government) with handbg and laptop. So yes, it is enforced

offerendum Jul 17, 2020 8:47 am

Crazy times.....

Markie Jul 17, 2020 9:03 am

The Facebook user for Tegel said that they were not enforcing it! Odd.

Markie Jul 19, 2020 2:40 am

They ARE enforcing it, certainly at the high gate numbers in Terminal C - and typically after you have gone through the boarding pass scanner rendering your boarding pass unreadable at the other scanning machines where they looked as if they would have accepted two bags.

So I had to wait for check-in to open and get a new boarding pass by checking the bag.

Markie Jul 23, 2020 10:34 pm

The airport have come back and told me that the original member of staff was wrong. They are enforcing the one bag limit at security.
My experience was that there were exceptions - as some people seemed to have 2-3 bags.

Concerto Jul 26, 2020 5:01 am

I think we should open a very big bottle of champagne when this airport finally becomes history.
But I fear that the same people might end up working at the new BER.

LondonElite Jul 27, 2020 12:45 am

I was on a Vueling flight last week with two pieces of hand luggage. A suitcase and a briefcase. Nobody said a thing.

Marambio Aug 22, 2020 5:16 am

TXL-CDG on AF yesterday noon. One piece of hand luggage (strictly) enforced by security agent before accessing the gate.

On a side note, this was possibly my last flight ex TXL – as someone who is based in Schöneberg while in Berlin (30 minutes from plane to home by public transportation), I am surely going to miss that airport.

LondonElite Aug 22, 2020 5:40 am

I was on my first ever EasyJet flight a few weeks ago. Had two pieces of hand luggage, a Tumi rolling briefcase, and a canvas beach bag on top of it. No comments.

Klaske1984 Sep 22, 2020 6:37 am

I flew with AF to CDG a few weeks ago, the only thing they really cared about was if I was wearing a medical mask and not a homemade mask.