Wiki Posts
Search

Entering Germany July for a new job

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2020, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Entering Germany July for a new job

Hi,

First time posting here and hoping someone might have some insight or be able to boost my confidence with this situation. Sorry this is a bit long!!!

I'm a dual NZ/Netherlands citizen. I was/am a French resident but was staying at my brother's in Berlin and due to rent a room of my own from 1 April.
But I came to NZ for my brother's wedding and got stuck in NZ with the Covid-19 lockdown - it didn't seem worth the effort to try to get back to Europe as I am currently unemployed.

I've since received a job offer in Germany (Karlsruhe), ideally to start August 1st. My plan would be fly to NYC mid-June, and quarantine (I have a place to stay in .USA where I need to organise some personal effects from a previous job for shipping to Germany).
Then fly NYC - FRA (ideally) early July, and quarantine again.

I would try to organise an apartment in Karlsruhe so I could show job contract and lease at the border. My brother is also going to write a letter saying I was in Berlin before Covid-19.

I'm unsure if I would be allowed to enter Germany in this case - it seems like a slightly vague area, between EU citizen with current residence in Germany and being allowed to enter/commute for professional reasons.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Cheers!!
Old May 26, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
While no one knows for sure how the COVID-19 situation will be in July/August the easy to find public information (by using google) https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/-/2320738 clearly states:

Germany will continue to apply the travel restrictions in the Schengen area decided on 17 March 2020 by the EU Heads of State and Government until 15 June 2020. In line with the still applicable order by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community pursuant to Article 14 (6) of the Schengen Borders Code, the travel restrictions expressly do not apply to the following people:
  1. Citizens of EU Member States and countries associated with Schengen and their family members and citizens of the United Kingdom, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland and their family members who enter Germany in order to travel to their country of origin or residence, provided that no alternative route is possible.
  2. Third‑country nationals with a long‑term right of residence in an EU Member State and/or the countries mentioned above (residence permit or long‑term visa, e.g. for study or work purposes), provided that they are returning to their place of habitual residence.
  3. Third‑country nationals with essential functions or needs, who are defined as follows in the decision:
  • healthcare workers, health researchers and care professionals;
  • cross‑border workers, transport personnel employed in the movement of goods and other essential sectors
  • diplomats, staff of international organisations, military personnel and humanitarian aid workers insofar as they are performing official duties
  • passengers in transit
  • passengers travelling for imperative family reasons
  • persons in need of international protection or seeking entry for other humanitarian reasons

Further information on travel:

Furthermore, it has been decided that the temporary border controls reintroduced at the borders between Germany, Switzerland and France will be extended until 15 June 2020. The same applies to the airside borders with Italy and Spain.

Border controls will continue to be carried out at the border with Denmark for the time being. The date on which border controls cease will be determined in consultation with the Danish Government.

There will, however, be a degree of relaxation with respect to the practical arrangements for land border controls. All cross‑border transport connections will be permitted again. In the future, controls will no longer be systematic, but flexible and based on the level of risk. While having a valid reason for entry will be retained as a requirement, there will be additional facilities for travel for family or personal reasons. Details in this regard are still pending.

Border controls at the border with Luxembourg are scheduled to cease on 15 May 2020.

Quarantine regulations for people entering or returning to Germany:

The Federation and the Länder have agreed on the main aspects of uniform quarantine regulations for people entering or returning to Germany. Further information, the model ordinance and links are available on the websites of the Federal Foreign Office and the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community. For information on the concrete implementation of the measures in the various Länder, please see the websites of the Land Ministries of Health.
So since you are a Dutch citizen you can enter without a problem.
Old May 26, 2020, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not so fast. The bit you highlighted refers to EU/Schengen+ citizens transiting through Germany, not settling here. At this point in time a foreign national (including a NL citizen without residence status in Germany) would not be permitted entry. The expectation is that this will change in mid-June. It would be possible for the OP to travel to NL and then from there to Germany, but *currently* a job offer and lease (without Meldebescheinigung) would not impress the border police.

Also, OP, I assume you are permitted to enter the US? I'm quite sure that by early July travel to Germany will be ok.

See also here:

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/f...trol-list.html
Redmax likes this.

Last edited by LondonElite; May 26, 2020 at 7:01 am Reason: US entry corrected.
Old May 26, 2020, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Not so fast. The bit you highlighted refers to EU/Schengen+ citizens transiting through Germany, not settling here. At this point in time a foreign national (including a NL citizen without residence status in Germany) would not be permitted entry. The expectation is that this will change in mid-June. It would be possible for the OP to travel to NL and then from there to Germany, but *currently* a job offer and lease (without Meldebescheinigung) would not impress the border police.

Also, OP, I assume you are a legal permanent resident of the US? If not, you're currently not permitted to enter the US. I'm quite sure that by early July travel to Germany will be ok.

See also here:

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/f...trol-list.html
Hi,

Could the op get in to the US with his NZ passport ( I thought NZ passport holders were still allowed) as he would be coming to the US from NZ and not EU?

Regards

TBS
Old May 26, 2020, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Could the op get in to the US with his NZ passport ( I thought NZ passport holders were still allowed) as he would be coming to the US from NZ and not EU?

Regards

TBS
Yes, you are probably right, sorry, I'm getting my directions confused. Will edit my post. Cheers.
Old May 26, 2020, 8:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can register online in Karlsruhe and get a Meldebescheinigung, just make sure its coordinated with the owner of the address you enter in the registration.

https://web1.karlsruhe.de/service/Bu...php?id=6000931

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.