FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Dual Citizen USA / Germany - transatlantic travel [to Germany] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/2017724-dual-citizen-usa-germany-transatlantic-travel-germany.html)

thomasny9 May 14, 2020 12:46 pm

Dual Citizen USA / Germany - transatlantic travel [to Germany]

Hello all, I'm a dual citizen of Germany and the US. I live outside of New York and my family resides in Germany. I have a semi-urgent need to travel to Germany for about 1 week. Does anybody have any experience with checks / quarantine need upon arrival in Germany and then same again upon return. Considering citizens can enter their own country and I'm a citizen of both should make at least the entry possible however I'm uncertain about any requirements from each country upon arrival / return. I have not had any symptoms, nor testing for the virus but tested negative for an antibody test. Much appreciated.

GUWonder May 14, 2020 12:57 pm

By way of your citizenships you’re admissible to both Germany and the US and can do the trip assuming you find the means of travel that works for you to complete your journey.

In Germany the rules vary by region where you’ll be in Germany; and in the US they also vary by region where you’ll be staying. At least in the US, there is — with some exception — generally no enforcement to make sure you do what is asked of you (in terms of quarantine/isolation) once you’re admitted back into the US.

thomasny9 May 14, 2020 1:02 pm

Thanks. I have apartments in both places so quarantine is not an issue. With the limited travel available transatlantic and my preferred carrier being UA, to Germany my only option is FRA right now however that is not my final destination but Hamburg. I have booked EWR-FRA-HAM-AMS-EWR at this point. I'm just curios if anybody can share their airport experience on the routing USA-Germany-USA?

LondonElite May 14, 2020 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by thomasny9 (Post 32375447)
Thanks. I have apartments in both places so quarantine is not an issue. With the limited travel available transatlantic and my preferred carrier being UA, to Germany my only option is FRA right now however that is not my final destination but Hamburg. I have booked EWR-FRA-HAM-AMS-EWR at this point. I'm just curios if anybody can share their airport experience on the routing USA-Germany-USA?

I don’t think you’ll have any issues either way. You are eligible to travel, but may face quarantine in Hamburg.

NewbieRunner May 14, 2020 2:10 pm

I am moving the thread to the Germany forum where you may receive more replies.

NewbieRunnee
Forum moderator

flyingfkb May 18, 2020 1:33 am

Quarantine rules for Hamburg

https://www.hamburg.de/coronavirus/1...r-einreisende/

The Hamburg health authority continues to advise to follow the instructions of the health authority and the RKI. This includes:
  • Reduce contact to a necessary minimum and keep a distance of at least 1.50 meters to other people
  • Make sure that the cough and sneeze label is correct (in the handkerchief or in the crook of your arm)
  • Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly with soap and water
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth
  • If you have had personal contact with a person who has had corona virus detected in the laboratory, you should contact your local health authority immediately and regardless of symptoms
Persons entering Hamburg by land, sea or air from a country outside the Federal Republic of Germany are instructed to go home or to another suitable accommodation for a 14-day quarantine without delay and to report to the district health authority responsible for them. The reception of persons not belonging to their household is not permitted for the period of quarantine.

Exceptions apply, among others, to persons who, for professional reasons, transport people, goods and merchandise across borders, as well as construction and seasonal workers, members of the armed forces or police officers returning from deployment abroad, and employees of air. Shipping, rail or bus transport companies. Furthermore, the competent authority may grant further exemptions on request in justified individual cases.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)