Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Schengen as German resident

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Did you get this advice before or after coronavirus-based entry restrictions went into effect in March? This would indeed have worked perfectly before the virus - as an American, you could indeed enter Germany without a visa and apply for a residence permit when inside the country.

But from the legal point of view in Germany, a "permanent resident" is someone who has a permanent residence permit ("Aufenthaltstitel"). And the new entry restrictions due to coronavirus only allow citizens and permanent residents to enter the country. So you will need some leniency on the part of the German border police to let you in, and I am not sure how they would be handling this.

I just called the German federal police (Bundespolizei) office responsible for the border control in FRA (+49 69 34004999) and asked. They told me there is no way for you to come to Germany and that you should not travel under the circumstances you described (U.S. citizen in the USA, fiancée in Germany with a wedding appointment in June, no "Aufenthaltstitel", but with a "Meldebescheinigung"). According to them, a planned marriage is not a sufficient reason to get an exception from the current travel restrictions. Not sure how well they speak English (I spoke German), but maybe worth giving them a call.
Yes, under the current circumstances I would agree with this. OP, I suggest you call the BP.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, under the current circumstances I would agree with this. OP, I suggest you call the BP.
The OP called them and seemingly got a different line than the one cockpitvisit got.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by md113
Are you sure? Cause I called them too and got a different response...multiple times. I have attached a screenshot from their website bundespolizei.de where it mentions that with residence it is possible to enter. Since it's listing residence in addition to residence permit, either should work.
Well, I don't know what to think of this. Maybe they meant this for EU citizens (who don't need a residence permit). If "residence" is enough, then there is no reason to list a residence permit at all, because for all practical reasons, a residence permit also means a residence.

Further on the same page, is says:

Personen, die nicht die deutsche Staatsangehörigkeit haben, dürfen unter folgenden Bedingungen einreisen:
* zur Begründung eines Aufenthalts in Deutschland nur, wenn dies zur Aufrechterhaltung einer bereits im Ausland bestehenden Familieneinheit geboten ist (Begleitung oder Nachzug nach Deutschland). Drittstaatsangehörige benötigen zusätzlich ein Visum der Kategorie D.
(establishing a residence in Germany is only possible for a reunion of an already existing family - so no going to Germany first and marrying there later here).

The page lists a lot of possible situations, but does not specifically address entering Germany for the purpose of marriage. Simply "visiting" your partner is not permitted ("5. … ich meinen Ehepartner/in oder meinen Partner/in besuchen möchte?")

My opinion remains that this will not work in the current situation, but I am not the one who makes decisions. Could be I am wrong or that you would be lucky. Have you considered asking your fiancee to do some research on this?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:26 pm
Suspended

A residence permit for a place doesn’t necessarily mean having a physical residence in the place for which a resident permit or right status is held by an individual.

For a couple to be treated as part of an existing family for immigration purposes in Germany, marriage isn’t a necessary condition.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
A residence permit for a place doesn’t necessarily mean having a physical residence in the place for which a resident permit or right status is held by an individual.
True, but by law, most German residence permits automatically expire when the permit holder gives up his residence in Germany. So in practice, a valid residence permit cannot exist without a residence.

There are a few rare exceptions though (e. g. foreigners who have been living in Germany for over 15 years).

But as I said, the phrase "Personen mit Wohnsitz in Deutschland' (persons with a residence in Germany) appears cryptic to me and I do not know what to make of it in the context of OP's questions.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedTrue, but by law, most German residence permits automatically expire when the permit holder gives up his residence in Germany. So in practice, a valid residence permit cannot exist without a residence.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedThere are a few rare exceptions though (e. g. foreigners who have been living in Germany for over 15 years).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedBut as I said, the phrase "Personen mit Wohnsitz in Deutschland' (persons with a residence in Germany) appears cryptic to me and I do not know what to make of it in the context of OP's questions.https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined
So my understanding of this phrase, from what I have been told by the immigration officer, is that as long as the residency was in place before Corona travel restrictions started, it is possible to travel to Germany. In the end, we can all just make assumptions, some probably better than others. Both my fiancee and I have been in contact with the Bundespolizei and the consulate to try and get supporting documents.
The immigration officer told me that as long as my "story" was true I should be able to get into Germany...and if I get rejected at check in, it is better than to be denied entry once in Frankfurt.

Edit: You are saying that a residence permit can not exist without a residence, which is true. But can a residence exist without a residence permit?
Thank you all for your input!
Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:17 pm

But can a residence exist without a residence permit?
It can of course exist for a German/EU/EEA citizen (since there are no residence permits for these people).

But I don't know an exact answer for a non-EU foreigner. Reportedly, people (such as yourself) get their residence registration without having a residence permit. But I don't know if such a registration is valid from the legal point of view.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:10 am
Suspended

It’s possible to have a German residence/residential property as a non-European foreigner without a currently valid German residence permit.
offerendum and md113 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Moved the flight to tomorrow so I guess we'll see what the outcome is...
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:35 am
Suspended

Using something like the following:

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/d...cationFile&v=2

may not fly so well with the airline, although the more stuff you show them and angle before they dive in, the more likely you’ll have a chance even with using something that is arguably not applicable.

Cross-border travel for compelling reasons? Family reunification or medical care needs can sometimes work to fit into that exemption window to the border controls for this virus situation. But there is some substantial chance that the airline and maybe even passport control will frustrate the trip.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 15, 2020 at 5:44 am
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Using something like the following:

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/downloads/EN/news/guidance-border-control.pdf;jsessionid=38E430D9F8475DAC68FCEFF9452 B7A71.1_cid364?__blob=publicationFile&v=2

may not fly so well with the airline, although the more stuff you show them and angle before they dive in, the more likely you’ll have a chance even with using something that is arguably not applicable.
The key point being:
  • EU citizens and third-country nationals returning to their country of origin or country of residence (for which they have a long-term residence permit) will still be allowed to travel through Germany to reach their destination.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:52 am
Suspended

The residence right status being only by way of long-term permanent residence status doesn’t seem to be a general requirement enforced by German passport control. And the trip to Europe need not be a “return”.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 5:58 am
Original Poster

The residence right status being only by way of long-term permanent residence status doesn’t seem to be a general requirement enforced by German passport control. And the trip to Europe need not be a “return”.
What do you mean? Can you elaborate?

I know there's a substantial chance I'll be stopped at check in or passport control. I'm going to carry all supporting documents with me and give it a try. After all I do not have a job or house here in the US. Most of my clothing is in Germany. There's not really a reason for me to stay here indefinitely...
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:50 am

Moved the flight to tomorrow so I guess we'll see what the outcome is...
Then I wish you good luck!

And please report the outcome - because there are also other people in a similar situation.
offerendum and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:56 am
Suspended

What do you mean? Can you elaborate?
Good luck with your attempt, even as there is a substantial chance of facing a problem with the airline and/or passport control.

I don’t think it would help you to know the following, but they have allowed in some non-European citizens who don’t have a long term residence permit from Germany but may have some other basis allowing them to be entitled to have some other kind of leave to remain in Germany as a resident of sort or otherwise and thus to be treated the same as third country nationals with a long term residence permit from Germany when it comes to traveling to Germany from beyond the Schengen area and getting an exemption to the EU/Schengen and German bans. For one example, if you were part of a non-German, EU citizen’s immediate family and had a right to long term residence in another EU country of sort but were relocated to Germany and waiting for a German document or permit to be issued but normally entitled already to move residence to settle with EU spouse or for dependent children already settled in Germany, then that would be a kind of situation where it may work. But this is probably the kind of example situation not applicable to you.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 15, 2020 at 7:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.