Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting via Frankfurt with a pet in-hold

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2020, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Connecting via Frankfurt with a pet in-hold

I am trying to figure out if it's possible to actually fly the US with my pet considering the entry restrictions in Germany.
The only route I can find to from where I am starting is HEL->FRA->ORD. Only Finnair is flying out of HEL now which means transferring to a different airline at the next airport. I'd like to fly Finnair on a Wednesday for the morning flight which should arrive before 10.00 in FRA and Lufthansa's ORD flight at 13.15.

Since I need to fly with a pet that's required to fly in the hold and this would be separate tickets and separate airlines I would be required in Frankfurt to collect my pet (and checked bags) at baggage claim and then recheck them on landside in the departures hall. Lufthansa is currently only flying pets point-to-point and I believe doing it this way would allow them to still carry my pet.

Would I actually be allowed to do this as I believe going to baggage claim and rechecking is considered entering Germany and I am not a German or EU-national? It seems like most EU countries are not allowing transit passengers to leave the secure area and it's even written in France's certificate of entry but would Germany allow me to do this?

Has anyone transited through Frankfurt recently and been able to recheck anything? Would the new mandatory 14-day quarantine for all entering Germany also prevent brief entry like this?
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:05 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sleepless9
I am trying to figure out if it's possible to actually fly the US with my pet considering the entry restrictions in Germany.
The only route I can find to from where I am starting is HEL->FRA->ORD. Only Finnair is flying out of HEL now which means transferring to a different airline at the next airport. I'd like to fly Finnair on a Wednesday for the morning flight which should arrive before 10.00 in FRA and Lufthansa's ORD flight at 13.15.

Since I need to fly with a pet that's required to fly in the hold and this would be separate tickets and separate airlines I would be required in Frankfurt to collect my pet (and checked bags) at baggage claim and then recheck them on landside in the departures hall. Lufthansa is currently only flying pets point-to-point and I believe doing it this way would allow them to still carry my pet.

Would I actually be allowed to do this as I believe going to baggage claim and rechecking is considered entering Germany and I am not a German or EU-national? It seems like most EU countries are not allowing transit passengers to leave the secure area and it's even written in France's certificate of entry but would Germany allow me to do this?

Has anyone transited through Frankfurt recently and been able to recheck anything? Would the new mandatory 14-day quarantine for all entering Germany also prevent brief entry like this?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, sleepless9!

You may have left it a little late as according to Timatic information from IATA Germany seems to have tightened their entry restrictions in the last few days. Some more detailed information may be found here at the Federal Foreign Office’s website:
https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/e...lt/coronavirus

I don’t believe anyone here can give you an authoritative answer. I suggest you contact one of the sources mentioned in the above document and the airlines. Good luck!

P.S. I am moving the thread to the Germany forum.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 8:40 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

This seems to be a question, which might involve Finnair and Lufthansa as well.

There is a mandatory quarantine. But this ususally does not apply for transiting through an airport.

So I suggest you contact Finnair and ask, how they handle traveling with pets. There might be different rules that previous to the restriction due to COVID19.

Inquire then with Frankfurt Airport about traveling with pets (https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en...h-animals.html). You should also get in touch with Lufthansa about the requirements for travelig with a pet. The question is difficult to answer and I suggest to get a written statement. You might also try to contact border control (Bundespolizei) at Frankfurt Airport. The homepage has contact details (https://www.bundespolizei.de/Web/DE/...furt_node.html) but is only in Germany. Chrome should be able to translate this to Englisch.

However, the official rules on the homepage of the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs indicated, that you would not be allowed to enter Germany. In other word, if there is no exception due to the special cirxumstances, you could not change plances in Frankfurt as you need to re-check pet and luggage.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses!

Rather than leaving it a bit late it's more that Lufthansa just changed their schedule for FRA->ORD yesterday from a morning flight to finally make a route feasible. I've actually been trying to find flights for weeks after my original flights were canceled and unfortunately the only other flights to the US are from AMS and CDG and in both cases overnight stopovers are required which makes it impossible.

I actually contact the Foreign Office about this when Germany first enacted entry restrictions and only responded after a week with just simply a link to the coronavirus faq which unfortunately doesn't answer the question (and at the time didn't even mention transit through Germany).

I'm thinking of trying to contact Bundespolizei though I'm not sure if I should wait until after the Easter weekend as I'm guessing they're probably closed for the holiday. I'm also going to call Finnair to confirm their current policies though they probably can't answer how Germany is interpreting the entry restrictions. I've spoken to Lufthansa several times, at the time they only had a route that would involve an overnight and couldn't answer as to whether that was allowed.

The Bundespolizei FAQ mentions that entering Germany to travel to an airport (presumably by car or train) is allowed which should suggest rechecking should be fine as well but it's probably not safe to make that assumption. It doesn't look like their FAQ has been updated for a couple of weeks as well.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 9:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Also bear in mind that this is not a transit. As OP will need to claim his bags at FRA, he will need to enter Germany and then later depart. We do not even know his citizenship and whether, the current circumstances and pet aside, he needs a visa.

I also see this as far too little time -- under ordinary circumstances -- for a transfer between tickets. If OP is delayed into FRA, LH will cancel his onwards ticket if he is a no show. He also has a situation requiring potential delays in entry, pet pickup and drop off and then heading back out.

If this could be arranged, I would do this with an overnight.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Also bear in mind that this is not a transit. As OP will need to claim his bags at FRA, he will need to enter Germany and then later depart. We do not even know his citizenship and whether, the current circumstances and pet aside, he needs a visa.

I also see this as far too little time -- under ordinary circumstances -- for a transfer between tickets. If OP is delayed into FRA, LH will cancel his onwards ticket if he is a no show. He also has a situation requiring potential delays in entry, pet pickup and drop off and then heading back out.

If this could be arranged, I would do this with an overnight.
Citizenship is US and current visa is a Finnish RP.
I checked Finnair's schedule and it looks like the flight should land at 9.20 in FRA which is almost a 4 hour layover. Is that not enough time?
I'd prefer an overnight as well but I'm guessing that would not be allowed whereas rechecking at without leaving the airport should be viewed as reasonable by the federal police. I also don't think third country nationals are allowed to get a hotel room in Germany at the moment.

Finland is enforcing quarantine as people exit the airport with medical screening and directing those with symptoms to a hotel room and others to taxi home.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has the OP investigated the potential overnight connection through AMS? There's an airside (nonSchengen) transit hotel in the airport, although I don't know whether it's still open.

It would be much better to get everything on the same ticket/PNR, which a real live human travel agent should be able to do (for a fee) as almost all major full service (not LCCs/ULCCs) tend to interline with each other, although you still could have a problem if you need to "enter" the country to claim and recheck the animal.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Has the OP investigated the potential overnight connection through AMS? There's an airside (nonSchengen) transit hotel in the airport, although I don't know whether it's still open.

It would be much better to get everything on the same ticket/PNR, which a real live human travel agent should be able to do (for a fee) as almost all major full service (not LCCs/ULCCs) tend to interline with each other, although you still could have a problem if you need to "enter" the country to claim and recheck the animal.
I'm guessing the AMS transit hotel is probably still open but it wouldn't be an option with a pet however. I believe an overnight outside the airport is probably not allowed although I did ask AMS about that and they couldn't say for certain. AMS is also KLM unless there's a US carrier flying out of it. KLM's website says they're not taking pets in the hold until 31 May.

Same ticket would be preferable but I'm not sure if there's a remaining way to do that as I thought it can only be with partnered airlines. Any itinerary will require claiming and rechecking my pet due to the airline change since Finnair is the only airline still flying out of HEL and Finnair doesn't fly from other EU hubs.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: *A Gold
I called Lufthansa to ask about the same thing couple of days ago. I was told there is an embargo carrying pets in-hold in Germany. I would be interested to know whether it would be possible to do this via AMS. Just seems like an uphill battle at the moment.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NotAFrequentTraveller
I called Lufthansa to ask about the same thing couple of days ago. I was told there is an embargo carrying pets in-hold in Germany. I would be interested to know whether it would be possible to do this via AMS. Just seems like an uphill battle at the moment.
Are you sure they meant an embargo on pets in Germany? When I talked to them a couple of weeks ago they said the embargo was on transit connections with pets in the hold (Likely meaning they don't have sufficient staff at the airport to move pets between planes on airside).

Their corona FAQ seems to confirm this:
Lufthansa still accepts animals in hold on non-stop point-to-point flights.
However we are currently not able to accept transit connections for animals in hold.
I also just got off the phone with Finnair and they are still accepting pets in the hold to Germany and only have an embargo for China.

I was thinking of emailing FRA Veterinary services as I would think they would know for sure what FRA is doing with pets unless they've been furloughed.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 5:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You would have to collect your pet after landing in FRA and check it in with Lufthansa again. So plan ahead and keep enough time to 'transit'.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: *A Gold
Originally Posted by sleepless9
Are you sure they meant an embargo on pets in Germany? When I talked to them a couple of weeks ago they said the embargo was on transit connections with pets in the hold (Likely meaning they don't have sufficient staff at the airport to move pets between planes on airside).

Their corona FAQ seems to confirm this:

I also just got off the phone with Finnair and they are still accepting pets in the hold to Germany and only have an embargo for China.

I was thinking of emailing FRA Veterinary services as I would think they would know for sure what FRA is doing with pets unless they've been furloughed.
I think you are right. another LH representative did mention that point to point bookings should be fine. That was a few weeks back. I just assumed they changed their policy after that.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:33 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Even without Corona a transfer of a pet in the cargo hold between two different airlines is complicated an needs a careful preparation. You will need to make sure that you have all the proper documentation for your pet. Make sure you have the European Pet Passport https://www.europarl.europa.eu/unite...tpassport.html and your pet is chiped.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:23 am
Original Poster

I did try this and it worked. Germany is not enforcing border control on Schengen countries except those it explicitly listed. I did need to show my printed ticket for my flight out of Germany for check-in to the flight to Germany however. Unrelated to the corona situation I was pretty disappointed that FRA didn't have a pet relief area.
FLYGVA and flyingfkb like this.
Old May 2, 2020, 6:13 pm

Glad it worked out, but just out of sheer curiosity: how long did the actual "transfer" take? I mean from landing in FRA, retrieving and checking-in the pet and, finally being through security for the TATL departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.