Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Getting a prescription medication filled at FRA

Getting a prescription medication filled at FRA

Old Feb 3, 20, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by fassy View Post

And the MUCH easier option is, just drop in the airport clinic. Why take all that risk, costs (overnight shipping and customs clearing won't be cheap) and inconvenience if you can just fix this with a 5 min trip to the docs in terminal? (https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en...ersorgung.html)
This. Same thing happened to me last week in Canada, traveling from the US. Pharmacy referred me to a walk-in clinic, doc wrote a script, took it back to the pharmacy.
Old Feb 3, 20, 9:00 pm

Very often you depend on the logic of the doc/pharmacist. Last year I visited my son in Olten (Switzerland) and on the first evening, I realized before going to bed that I forgot my oral antidiabetics at home. So, next morning (Sunday) at 8 am I walked into the ER of the local hospital, talked to the nurse in charge, told her why I was there and, finally, also told her that I was a retired doc myself (true). She did not ask for any proof, and she offered me the choice of getting 4 pills for free from the hospital for my entire stay in Olten or a prescription. I chose the second, so she called the doc on call who came 5 minutes later, wrote the prescription and off I got, to the next open pharmacy. I wanted to go get some flowers for the nurse and the doc, but florists at Olten were closed on a Sunday early (then I forgot!).
rickg523 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 10:17 pm

It is a problem that will be easy to solve...stop at the pharmacy, they will tell you what you need to do for your particular medication. And they will know where it is in stock, potentially saving you buckets of time! Different countries have different rules for different medications, and the pharmacist may be able to dispense something directly to you. In Bermuda, for example, the pharmacist was happy to dispense my husband’s bp medication....no need to pay for a doctor’s visit in that case. If your insurance will reimburse you for your overseas expenses, make sure you provide the conversion to US dollars...foreign currencies can be sooo confusing.
Old Feb 4, 20, 3:30 am

Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by fissfiss View Post
It is a problem that will be easy to solve...stop at the pharmacy, they will tell you what you need to do for your particular medication. And they will know where it is in stock, potentially saving you buckets of time! Different countries have different rules for different medications, and the pharmacist may be able to dispense something directly to you. In Bermuda, for example, the pharmacist was happy to dispense my husband’s bp medication....no need to pay for a doctor’s visit in that case. If your insurance will reimburse you for your overseas expenses, make sure you provide the conversion to US dollars...foreign currencies can be sooo confusing.
You will definitely not get an antidepressant OTC at a pharmacy in Germany. Simply forget about it. IMO, the only feasible way to solve this problem is a visit to the airport clinic in FRA and get a prescription from them.
Old Feb 4, 20, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by cas_de View Post
You will definitely not get an antidepressant OTC at a pharmacy in Germany. Simply forget about it. IMO, the only feasible way to solve this problem is a visit to the airport clinic in FRA and get a prescription from them.
venlafaxine is a prescription medication in all of EU. No chance getting it without prescription.
Old Feb 4, 20, 3:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
As mentioned above the FRA medical service will look at your documents and issue you the required prescription, they encounter it on a daily basis and know what to do. LufthansaFlyer told me that he went there to get a prescription for a medication that is cheaper and available in a different form in Germany. The consultation to do this costs ~15€.
Old Feb 4, 20, 6:00 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Another possibility is to see if your travel health insurance has an assistance service to get you in contact with a local doctor so you can get a prescription.
Old Feb 4, 20, 8:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Iím curious what the outcome was for RLS_PHL. Any update?
Old Feb 4, 20, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Update

I went to the medical clinic on site at FRA. Told them I needed a prescription, gave them the medication and dose, waited 5 minutes, doctor walked in and gave me a prescription for 100 pills. Cost me 10 Euro. Took the prescription to the pharmacy in terminal 1 departures. They had to order it, but I can pick up by the end of the day. Cost of the pills wasn't cheap but honestly still cheaper than out of pocket cost would have been in the US.
offerendum likes this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Update

I went to the medical clinic on site at FRA. Told them I needed a prescription, gave them the medication and dose, waited 5 minutes, doctor walked in and gave me a prescription for 100 pills. Cost me 10 Euro. Took the prescription to the pharmacy in terminal 1 departures. They had to order it, but I can pick up by the end of the day. Cost of the pills wasn't cheap but honestly still cheaper than out of pocket cost would have been in the US.
Old Feb 4, 20, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RLS_PHL View Post
Excellent news! Also great that thereís both a doctor and pharmacy at FRA.
Old Feb 5, 20, 6:44 pm

Are there a doctor and pharmacy at AMS , BRU , CDG etc ?

I do not know of one here at LAX , but there might be !
Old Feb 7, 20, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by LAXlocal View Post
Are there a doctor and pharmacy at AMS , BRU , CDG etc ?

I do not know of one here at LAX , but there might be !
AMS: yes, run by KLM. https://klmhealthservices.com/en/air...ical-services/

BRU: no non-emergency medical services, but there is a pharmacy. A lot of meds that can be prescribed by pharmacists in neighboring countries require a doctor's prescription in Belgium, though.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: