Go to MUC by public transport

Old Jan 3, 20, 1:21 am
Original Poster
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Gold, HHonor Diamond

Hi

I have a flight ex-MUC a bit later this year (I am usually ex-FRA or ex-STR) and I am figuring out the easiest way to position to the airport. I live in Rhineland-Pfalz, 60 km west of Mannheim. I can see two ways to position:
- Train to Mannheim then to FRA, then flight FRA-MUC
- Train to Mannheim, then to Munich Hbf then S-Bahn to MUC.

The train journey has my preference for convenience except than the S-Bahn seems to be quite crowded usually, plus it is really long. Time wise I think both journey would take the same. Is there a way I do not think of or see ? There are no ICE station at MUC but is there one nearby that I could use and then taxi or a short bus ride to the airport ? Is there some bus I do not think of ?
Old Jan 3, 20, 1:31 am

Programs: LH FTL, EB*G(1)
Sounds like a lot of stops (much to schlepp?) and going ziczac. Did you calculate gross travel times already?
Flixbus might be worth a try, depending on day-of-week there are connections Mannheim/MUC at around 6hrs.
Old Jan 3, 20, 5:25 am

There is a Lufthansa bus from Munich main station to MUC: https://www.airportbus-muenchen.de/ (it's just called Lufthansa Express Bus, but it doesn't matter which airline you fly from MUC).
Single ride is 10.50, return is 17 Euro, if booked online.
I personally would do ICE Mannheim->Munich and then the Lufthansa Bus, if wouldn't want to use the S-Bahn.
Old Jan 3, 20, 6:11 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by PAX_fips View Post
Sounds like a lot of stops (much to schlepp?) and going ziczac. Did you calculate gross travel times already?
Flixbus might be worth a try, depending on day-of-week there are connections Mannheim/MUC at around 6hrs.
I will not have a lot of luggage: a small rollaboard and a backpack.
I did not calculate gross travel times but I think it will be around 6:30 hours from home to MUC. I will check Flixbus if they go to MUC.
Old Jan 3, 20, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge View Post
I did not calculate gross travel times but I think it will be around 6:30 hours from home to MUC.
Mannheim to MUC airport terminal station takes 3:45h. There's an almost hourly train going FRA - Mannheim - Stuttgart - Ulm - Augsburg - Munich. You get off at Pasing and switch to the S-Bahn.

You must be really far west, somewhere close to Zweibrücken, Saarbrücken, or St. Wendel.

If you're really that far away from Mannheim, it's probably best to use cheap fares out of LUX, XER, STR, CGN or even BSL as opposed to flying out of MUC. Or see if you can position to your departure airport using FR from HHN.
Old Jan 3, 20, 10:26 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 5+ Badge

I am in Kaiserslautern, which is 45 min away from Mannheim. I overestimated the ICE to Munich. So a total of 4:30h, which is actually quite OK. Maybe I will keep it simple (stupid) and go the logical way.
i fly out of MUC for this trip because I am flying A3, connecting in ATH, and the timing of the flight to ATH is convenient. The flight out of FRA to ATH is designed to catch connection in FRA, not in ATH (land at 9 pm so requires an overnight in ATH). There will be an added frequency out of FRA soon and this will help a lot.
R.O. likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge View Post
i fly out of MUC for this trip because I am flying A3, connecting in ATH, and the timing of the flight to ATH is convenient.
Chasing A3 status, eh? That's why you can't take the earlier LH flights out of FRA.

I think your question has been answered for the most part. So just as a side note: Perhaps A3 runs would be more convenient for you during the summer schedule (March - September or so). During the summer, you've got A3 service out of both LUX and STR and some of these flights arrive prior to 3pm in ATH.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: