FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Hotel options FRA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/2001724-hotel-options-fra.html)

Jonesdds Dec 29, 2019 1:45 pm

Hotel options FRA

I'll be overnighting at the conclusion of a trip at the airport or nearby as I've got a morning flight home. The Hilton looks very convenient, if not mistaken can walk to terminal 1 easily but have to take train to Terminal 2 as I've got a BA flight. I assume even with large suitecase, carryon and personal item it is still pretty easy and convenient.

I'd rather, however, earn a Hyatt night if it's not too inconvenient. Looks like Hyatt Place is close by and has a shuttle that I assume would drop in front of terminal 2, so maybe it's no less convenient given we are in terminal 2?

We may arrive by train, looks like there is a banhof right at(or under) the Hilton? Obviously that would be very convenient if so.

We may also decide to drop a rental car there, depending on the extra fees as we are renting in France but if a wash or close I will probably drive to FRA. Would either hotels be more convenient to Hertz rental car drop off location, maybe walkable?

TomMM Dec 29, 2019 5:55 pm

I've stayed at the HGI, Hilton and Sheraton and prefer the Hilton. Yes, train station is in the same hall as the Hilton.

R.O. Dec 30, 2019 12:50 am

The Hyatt Place is almost as close to T2 as the Marriott/Sheraton/Hilton/Hilton Garden Inn are to T1.

There are two rental-car drop offs, one in T1 and one in T2. You can use either one. From the T1 drop-off, you can walk to the Sheraton and the Hilton (the Sheraton being slightly closer). From the T2 rental-car drop-off, you can walk to the terminal building but you'd need a quick shuttle ride to get to the hotels in the Gateway Gardens area (Hyatt Place, Holiday Inn, etc.).

Lastly, you can walk from the train station to the Hilton/HGI (they are in the same building as the train station) and the Sheraton (which is in an adjacent building that's directly connected). It takes a bit longer to get to the hotels in Gateway Gardens from the train station. You'd take the hotel courtesy shuttle from T1. (The courtesy shuttles pick up at both T1 and T2.)

fransknorge Dec 30, 2019 2:01 am

Things have changed a bit now. There is a S-Bahn station at Gateway Gardens that connect to the train station, thus avoiding the overcrowded/overpriced/unreliable shuttles. Alternatively from T2 the hotels are an easy walk away, even with a bit of luggage.

R.O. Dec 30, 2019 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 31888344)
Things have changed a bit now. There is a S-Bahn station at Gateway Gardens that connect to the train station, thus avoiding the overcrowded/overpriced/unreliable shuttles.

The OP will fly from T2. Between the Hyatt Place and T2, the S-Bahn is of little use. Between the long-distance train station and the Hyatt Place, the S-Bahn is of little use, either, if you ask me.

I agree with you on your other point on the walkability between T2 and the Gateway Gardens hotels.

fransknorge Dec 31, 2019 2:50 am

The OP may arrive by train and may choose the Hyatt Place. I think knowing he can go to the hotel directly by train matters.

As for the usefulness of the S-Bahn and the Hyatt place location, considering the station is directly beside the hotel, I think it is very useful.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...95b4d6cfe4.png

Taking the S-Bahn from the airport is quick, efficient, reliable, easy and with ample space for luggages. Everything the shuttles are not.

R.O. Dec 31, 2019 3:10 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge (Post 31892019)
The OP may arrive by train and may choose the Hyatt Place. I think knowing he can go to the hotel directly by train matters.

As for the usefulness of the S-Bahn and the Hyatt place location, considering the station is directly beside the hotel, I think it is very useful.

Well, I think we agree that taking the S-Bahn doesn't make sense on the morning of the outbound flight. You'd have to take the S-Bahn and then the T1->T2 shuttle bus or the SkyLine to get to T2.
Seems quicker to either take the hotel shuttle or (if you just missed a shuttle) one of the regular RMV busses to get to T2.

As for the getting to the HP from the long-distance train station: I somewhat doubt it makes sense for the OP, either.

Yeah, the S-Bahn runs every 15 min so slightly more often than the hotel courtesy shuttle. But the ticket purchasing process is likely gonna take some time for the OP (whose from CA). You might just take the free courtesy shuttle from T1 Arrivals instead.
I would dispute your claim those hotel shuttles are overcrowded, too. They can be, sure, but it's not the norm.

EDIT: I guess the S-Bahn will be included in many long-distance train tickets. Still, it's a marginal difference. The walk to the S-Bahn takes like 3 min more than to the shuttle bus stop. And the S-Bahn will sometimes be overcrowded as well.

Concerto Jan 2, 2020 5:15 am

I've always been a bit of a fan of the Holiday Inn Express at Mörfelden-Walldorf. It is a bit of a shuttle ride, and the shuttle is paying, but somehow it works for me. The hotel is simple, as HIXes are normally, but it's ok. Across the road and down a lane is a nice restaurant.