Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

UInderstanding Seat Reservations on DeutschBahn

Old Nov 29, 19, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA

I am going to be taking ICE from Frankfurt Airport to Munich, and then later that week Intercity to Zurich.

I know I have to make seat reservations (I am splurging on First Class), but it only asked me what type of accommodations - compartment, open. It didn't give me a seat assignment nor a choice. Is there a special way I am supposed to do this?
Old Nov 29, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: LH FTL
First of all, you don't have to make a seat reservation, i.e. it is not mandatory. But with a first class ticket, seat reservation is included, so you'll get it.
During the booking, you can choose the compartment type (open saloon car or compartment), window or aisle seat and quiet zone/phone zone. if you proceed to the next step/page, you'll see a summary of your seat request and there is a link to 'Select Seat' which offers you to pick a seat, just like you would pick a seat on an airplane. If you don't go for that option, you will be allocated a random seat, and car numer and seat number will be shown on your ticket.
Old Nov 29, 19, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Never gave me the option nor is it giving me one now.
Old Nov 29, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: LH FTL
Which website do you use to book the ticket? I'm talking about the official Deutsche Bahn/German Rail website: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml
Third party websites like raileurope.com might not have these features.
Old Nov 29, 19, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

www.bahn.com. After a few tries I got the Frankfurt to Munich segment to allow me to choose seat, but there was only 6 available in the three 1st class coaches. Still never got Munich to Zurich to give me a choice.
Old Nov 29, 19, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

On SBB it shows the train has a panorama car. How do I find that on the seating chart?
Old Nov 30, 19, 2:27 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
On SBB it shows the train has a panorama car. How do I find that on the seating chart?
If it isn't a train operated by Deutsche Bahn you may not be able to choose your seat.
Old Jan 1, 20, 12:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL, HH Diamond
You will need to first purchase your 1st class Munich-Zurich ticket via www.bahn.de but don't choose a seat. Then go to www.oebb.at and enter your itineraryinto the search engine. Click on the gray link that says seat only. Expect to be asked what type of seat you want but nothing more specific will be offered. Once you finalize your reservation (~ €3,00) you will get your specific seat number. It isn't like the ICE where you can choose your exact seat. Don't miss clicking on the tab for the panorama car.
Old Jan 2, 20, 5:12 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I would take the DB Bus from Munich to Zurich in the future. Much more efficient, quicker and much cheaper. I haven't taken a train to Munich since the 1990s.
Old Jan 4, 20, 9:58 am

In the near future the train from Zurich to Munich will be significantly faster than the train. Currently it is also a lot more comfortable. I see no reason to inflict a bus upon oneself on that route.
to the OP; do not worry to much about reservation. In my experience about half of the reserved seats in 1st class are never claimed. and you are not glued to your seat. If you see a better one that is not claimed, just take it.
Old Jan 4, 20, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee View Post
In the near future the train from Zurich to Munich will be significantly faster than the train. Currently it is also a lot more comfortable. I see no reason to inflict a bus upon oneself on that route.
to the OP; do not worry to much about reservation. In my experience about half of the reserved seats in 1st class are never claimed. and you are not glued to your seat. If you see a better one that is not claimed, just take it.
This was a month ago, but the train I was supposed to be on was cancelled, the one they put me on was jam packed, didn't get a seat until 45 minutes of standing, and then it was in second when I bought a first class. Zurich was better, but didn't get the panorama car, which was moot because it was so foggy you really couldnt see much. I did get first class on that trip, though the coach was pretty old and worn.

All in all, I was unhappy with my train ride on both sections. given the astronomical price of flying I will probably end up taking the train again, but if price isn't an issue I would probably choose flying.
Old Jan 8, 20, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
The cancelled train/packed next one is indeed an occasional annoyance.
Old Jan 27, 20, 2:16 am

This was a month ago, but the train I was supposed to be on was cancelled, the one they put me on was jam packed, didn't get a seat until 45 minutes of standing, and then it was in second when I bought a first class. Zurich was better, but didn't get the panorama car, which was moot because it was so foggy you really couldnt see much. I did get first class on that trip, though the coach was pretty old and worn.

All in all, I was unhappy with my train ride on both sections. given the astronomical price of flying I will probably end up taking the train again, but if price isn't an issue I would probably choose flying.
If you couldn't sit in first class you are due a partial refund. Did you pursue that?
Regarding the Munich to Zürich train: Yes it is currently run with EC coaches that are already a few years old. But they are perfectly fine and comfortable. (I wonder what your definition of "old and worn"is) Much better than the coach. Next year will see new trains on that route.
Old Jan 27, 20, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayVeeBee View Post
If you couldn't sit in first class you are due a partial refund. Did you pursue that?
Regarding the Munich to Zürich train: Yes it is currently run with EC coaches that are already a few years old. But they are perfectly fine and comfortable. (I wonder what your definition of "old and worn"is) Much better than the coach. Next year will see new trains on that route.
I started to, but it was too complicated, and by the time i would have been done calling and such, I would have spent the $30 I would have gotten back. Just wasn't worth it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: