Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Transfer time - Frankfurt Airport to Train

Transfer time - Frankfurt Airport to Train

Old Dec 4, 19, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mhy View Post
Not knowing there was a direct bus to the Fernbahnhof, I took the bus to T1. Up an escalator then a long walkway to the Fernbahnhof. Probably about 30mins all in from exiting the plane to arriving at the train station.
There is only one (free) bus service between T2 and T1. This connects you from T2 arrivals to T1 arrivals from where you can access the Fernbahnhof, Regionalbahnhof and T1.

There is also a paid bus service T2-T1 on Bus Line 61, but it is fairly pointless taking this as you get to T1 at the same arrival point.

There is no direct bus service from T2 to the platforms at Fernbahnhof - you went the shortest way.
Old Apr 26, 21, 7:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

As I'm sure things changed due to Covid so I'm wondering if anyone has the lay of the land for me.
Arriving from the US at 9:10am (Germany citizen) and I would have 1:33 to connect to the ICE train (or alternatively wait in the lounge for the flight > both arrive in Hannover around the same time. But train would save some United Miles and some $).
Is that a safe/easy connection? Would check-in luggage or hand luggage only make a difference (ca remember they have a separate luggage pick up at the Fernbahnhof).
Old May 18, 21, 11:44 pm

1:33 minutes should be fine. But the separate luggage pickup at the railway station is AFAIK only if you have a Lufthansa Exress Rail ticket. So you probably will pick up your luggage where everyone else does. Not that it matters that much. I for example walk as fast with as well as without luggage, so for me it would not save time. (Are there still people travelling with suitcases that do not have wheels on them? )

When connecting Plane to Train at FRA I always either try to get Rail&Fly add on to my plane ticket, or a DB Flexpreis train ticket, and just jump on the next train that I can get after landing. I have made the transfer in half an hour in some cases.
Old May 19, 21, 5:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Can you buy a Rail&Fly ticket connecting to a United flight? Will the Bahn sell that?
Old May 19, 21, 5:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
Can you buy a Rail&Fly ticket connecting to a United flight? Will the Bahn sell that?
United is a R&F partner. DBahn will not sell you the ticket, you have to contact United: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/service/b..._und_fly.shtml

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...sche-bahn.html
Old May 19, 21, 5:54 am

Thanks. Tried to look for award tickets - none available ever. So something is broken in the United system (how surprising). The last few CSR didnít even know one could connect to a train.
Old May 19, 21, 6:37 am

The CSR needs to add a FRA-QYG segement to your existing (award) reservation and price it, that will generate the 29€ surcharge for the R&F addon. UA.com will not add it to an award as it never has award inventory.
blitzen likes this.
Old May 19, 21, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
The CSR needs to add a FRA-QYG segement to your existing (award) reservation and price it, that will generate the 29Ä surcharge for the R&F addon. UA.com will not add it to an award as it never has award inventory.
stupid question - I used LifeMiles (have more of them) to book a United Flight. That probably means that United couldnít add a segment and I would need to try LifeMiles (or better find another way as they are friendly but have very limited capabilities).
Old May 19, 21, 11:05 pm

In theory United could add a FRA-QYG segment, LH does this for awards from other airlines too. But UA being UA I seriously doubt they will/can/want to ...
blitzen likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: