Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer time - Frankfurt Airport to Train

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mhy
Not knowing there was a direct bus to the Fernbahnhof, I took the bus to T1. Up an escalator then a long walkway to the Fernbahnhof. Probably about 30mins all in from exiting the plane to arriving at the train station.
There is only one (free) bus service between T2 and T1. This connects you from T2 arrivals to T1 arrivals from where you can access the Fernbahnhof, Regionalbahnhof and T1.

There is also a paid bus service T2-T1 on Bus Line 61, but it is fairly pointless taking this as you get to T1 at the same arrival point.

There is no direct bus service from T2 to the platforms at Fernbahnhof - you went the shortest way.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hi,

As I'm sure things changed due to Covid so I'm wondering if anyone has the lay of the land for me.
Arriving from the US at 9:10am (Germany citizen) and I would have 1:33 to connect to the ICE train (or alternatively wait in the lounge for the flight > both arrive in Hannover around the same time. But train would save some United Miles and some $).
Is that a safe/easy connection? Would check-in luggage or hand luggage only make a difference (ca remember they have a separate luggage pick up at the Fernbahnhof).
Old May 18, 2021, 11:44 pm

1:33 minutes should be fine. But the separate luggage pickup at the railway station is AFAIK only if you have a Lufthansa Exress Rail ticket. So you probably will pick up your luggage where everyone else does. Not that it matters that much. I for example walk as fast with as well as without luggage, so for me it would not save time. (Are there still people travelling with suitcases that do not have wheels on them? )

When connecting Plane to Train at FRA I always either try to get Rail&Fly add on to my plane ticket, or a DB Flexpreis train ticket, and just jump on the next train that I can get after landing. I have made the transfer in half an hour in some cases.
Old May 19, 2021, 5:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Can you buy a Rail&Fly ticket connecting to a United flight? Will the Bahn sell that?
Old May 19, 2021, 5:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by blitzen
Can you buy a Rail&Fly ticket connecting to a United flight? Will the Bahn sell that?
United is a R&F partner. DBahn will not sell you the ticket, you have to contact United: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/service/b..._und_fly.shtml

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...sche-bahn.html
Old May 19, 2021, 5:54 am

Thanks. Tried to look for award tickets - none available ever. So something is broken in the United system (how surprising). The last few CSR didn’t even know one could connect to a train.
Old May 19, 2021, 6:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The CSR needs to add a FRA-QYG segement to your existing (award) reservation and price it, that will generate the 29€ surcharge for the R&F addon. UA.com will not add it to an award as it never has award inventory.
blitzen likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The CSR needs to add a FRA-QYG segement to your existing (award) reservation and price it, that will generate the 29€ surcharge for the R&F addon. UA.com will not add it to an award as it never has award inventory.
stupid question - I used LifeMiles (have more of them) to book a United Flight. That probably means that United couldn’t add a segment and I would need to try LifeMiles (or better find another way as they are friendly but have very limited capabilities).
Old May 19, 2021, 11:05 pm

In theory United could add a FRA-QYG segment, LH does this for awards from other airlines too. But UA being UA I seriously doubt they will/can/want to ...
blitzen likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Hi All.

A related question: How much buffer time do you usually allow between flight arrival and train departure time in order to take advantage of the much cheaper advanced, train-specific, ticket.
Or do most just pay the walk-up fare to avoid the risk of flight cancel / delay as well as time wasted waiting around if the flight is on time...?

Realize a balance of flight delay risk versus wasted time waiting on train, but curious how others handle this.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 8:44 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
To get back home I have a hourly train that leaves FRA long distance train station at XX:52. If I land at Terminal 1 A or B gates, my cut-off is 40 minutes. If I plan to land before XX:12 I book the next one and if not I book one hour later. Bare in mind I am often HBO and I also know my way around FRA.
If I land at T2 that would be one hour.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Realize a balance of flight delay risk versus wasted time waiting on train, but curious how others handle this.
It really depends. FRA just got quite a bit busier since the start of the summer holidays.

Also, I'd take different approaches based on the flight I land on. I'd be most aggressive if arriving on a Schengen flight, particularly if it's a major route. Instead, with a smaller route on a regional plane, I'd be slightly less aggressive (there can be delays if you get an apron position which is more likely on a regional plane).

Arriving Non-Schengen: I'd be much less aggressive. If the egates are not working for some reason, immigration will be delayed etc.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by fransknorge
To get back home I have a hourly train that leaves FRA long distance train station at XX:52. If I land at Terminal 1 A or B gates, my cut-off is 40 minutes. If I plan to land before XX:12 I book the next one and if not I book one hour later. Bare in mind I am often HBO and I also know my way around FRA.
If I land at T2 that would be one hour.
Originally Posted by 8mh
It really depends. FRA just got quite a bit busier since the start of the summer holidays.

Also, I'd take different approaches based on the flight I land on. I'd be most aggressive if arriving on a Schengen flight, particularly if it's a major route. Instead, with a smaller route on a regional plane, I'd be slightly less aggressive (there can be delays if you get an apron position which is more likely on a regional plane).

Arriving Non-Schengen: I'd be much less aggressive. If the egates are not working for some reason, immigration will be delayed etc.
Thanks, both, for your thoughts. I am now leaning toward buying the flex ticket and not worrying about it. The cost savings would be 50 Euro, but I know I would be annoyed if I ended up waiting for a specific train, especially as the Welcome Lounge is still not open.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:53 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Make the math but if you need to buy a return, a BahnCard25 might be a good investment, especially if you plan to take more train during your travel. At 55 EUR, it is valid for a year and will cut off 25% of the flexible ticket price.
https://www.bahn.de/p/view/bahncard/...hncard25.shtml
Old Jul 23, 2021, 4:22 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Hi All.

A related question: How much buffer time do you usually allow between flight arrival and train departure time in order to take advantage of the much cheaper advanced, train-specific, ticket.
Or do most just pay the walk-up fare to avoid the risk of flight cancel / delay as well as time wasted waiting around if the flight is on time...?

I usually buy a flexible ticket.

But In would calculate from terminal 1 without checked luggage and not need to pass immigration around 40 minutes to 90 minutes from an international arrival with checked luggage. Add 15 minutes from terminal 2. But it also depends on when I arrive. So it might be quicker on an early morning arrival during off-peak times ....

Quickest was 15 minutes from leaving plane to train station arriving with the first LH flight from New York in February (with hand luggage) to 130 minutes arriving around late afternoon on Lufthansa from Hong Kong in August on a Friday Afternoon (with checked luggage)

By the way, currently many trains from the North to the South are delayed due to construction work which is done during the summer.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jul 23, 2021 at 4:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.