Wiki Posts
Search

MUC city day ticket and carry-on cooler bag

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
MUC city day ticket and carry-on cooler bag

I'll have two long overnight layovers at MUC this month. I'm planning to purchase an airport-city day ticket to go into the city, then purchase an one-way ticket back to the airport the next day. Should I buy the ticket online or wait until I arrive at MUC? Also I might have to bring some prescribed medicines that requires refrigation. Has anyone encounter problem check small travel cooler bag w/gel ice packs as carry-on? TIA.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM
There is a desk right outside the train you can purchase them from. So, if you are not exactly sure what you want or do not understand the on line web site, you could wait.
We ended up missing our train, as we couldn't understand the options on the automated ticket machine and by the time we got them at the desk, the train had left. But they are so frequent, it wasn't a huge deal .
Old Aug 18, 2019, 7:07 pm
Suspended

OP if all you want to do is checkout The Old Town area then the bus is a good deal; https://www.airportbus-muenchen.de/en/

Thats how I got into the city and it was nice as I got to see the city as well

They relocated the stop @ The main train station but its till a 10 min walk to main sq in OT

17Euro r/t
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. So the ticket desk is right outside the train station?

Originally Posted by realworld
There is a desk right outside the train you can purchase them from. So, if you are not exactly sure what you want or do not understand the on line web site, you could wait.
We ended up missing our train, as we couldn't understand the options on the automated ticket machine and by the time we got them at the desk, the train had left. But they are so frequent, it wasn't a huge deal .
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

We have booked hotel in the city.

Originally Posted by craz
OP if all you want to do is checkout The Old Town area then the bus is a good deal; https://www.airportbus-muenchen.de/en/

Thats how I got into the city and it was nice as I got to see the city as well

They relocated the stop @ The main train station but its till a 10 min walk to main sq in OT

17Euro r/t
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:49 am
Suspended

A one-way to or from the airport is EUR 11.60. A single day ticket which allows travel from the airport to the city (and vice-versa) is EUR 13.00.

So the one-way ticket isn't exactly a great deal.

If your stay is <24h, the CityTourCard for the entire network may be an option. It's EUR 22.90, making it cheaper than the sum of the above. Note the CityTourTicket is valid for 24h from first use, the single day ticket is valid from the day purchased until 6 AM the next morning.

As you used the term "we" ITT: A group ticket is usually slightly cheaper than purchasing two individual tickets. E.g., a day ticket for the entire network, valid for a group of up to 5 adults, is EUR 24.30, so less than 2 x EUR 13.00.

A CityTourCard for a group would be EUR 35.90 (valid 24h for the entire network).
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by rdchen
Should I buy the ticket online or wait until I arrive at MUC?
Buy the ticket at the train station. No need to by them in advanced. The machines accept credit cards. Don't worry about missing a train. The S-Bahn leaves every 10 minutes. No need to rush. Which ticket to choose depends on how much you plan to use public transportation. The airport-city-day-ticket is a good value if you plan to use the subway/tram/bus in Munich for your sightseeing since it is valid until 6am the next day.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:55 am
Suspended

We have booked hotel in the city.
I stayed at The LeMeridan which is right across from the train station, so it worked out since my hotel didnt need a tram,bus or Metro to get to, walked into and out of the station and crossed the street and bingo I was there

Also I purchased a r/t tkt and the return is good anytime (Im sure theres a limit on it but not a short one) So Id say depending where your hotel is located and your plans the Bus may workout and be cheaper to boot
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I was under the impression that city tour tickets are only valided until 6am the next morning.

Originally Posted by speed.skater
A one-way to or from the airport is EUR 11.60. A single day ticket which allows travel from the airport to the city (and vice-versa) is EUR 13.00.

So the one-way ticket isn't exactly a great deal.

If your stay is <24h, the CityTourCard for the entire network may be an option. It's EUR 22.90, making it cheaper than the sum of the above. Note the CityTourTicket is valid for 24h from first use, the single day ticket is valid from the day purchased until 6 AM the next morning.

As you used the term "we" ITT: A group ticket is usually slightly cheaper than purchasing two individual tickets. E.g., a day ticket for the entire network, valid for a group of up to 5 adults, is EUR 24.30, so less than 2 x EUR 13.00.

A CityTourCard for a group would be EUR 35.90 (valid 24h for the entire network).
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Thanks, I was under the impression that city tour tickets are only valided until 6am the next morning.
So if a ticket is good till 6 am, does that mean that someone traveling on the train who boarded at 5:55 am is now in violation since they don’t arrive to the airport until 6:30 am?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by speed.skater

A City tour ticket also valid for 24 hours and if you buy a multi-day ticket, it is good until 6 am the next day, i.e. a 3 day ticket is good until 6 am the fourth day.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by radonc1

So if a ticket is good till 6 am, does that mean that someone traveling on the train who boarded at 5:55 am is now in violation since they don’t arrive to the airport until 6:30 am?
As far as I know yes.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
As far as I know yes.
Checked with a ticket agent at the Munich S Bahn and he said the ride is good as long as you board before the expiration of the ticket.
Of course he could be wrong
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'll have two long overnight layovers at MUC this month. I'm planning to purchase an airport-city day ticket to go into the city, then purchase an one-way ticket back to the airport the next day. Should I buy the ticket online or wait until I arrive at MUC? Also I might have to bring some prescribed medicines that requires refrigation. Has anyone encounter problem check small travel cooler bag w/gel ice packs as carry-on? TIA.
You've had good advice on the tickets, just want to add that there is no restriction on bringing a reasonable-sized cooler as carry-on on the S-Bahn in Munich.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Slightly different question from OP, but about the MVV day passes.

I'm arriving in Munich on a Friday evening by train (and will probably need S-Bahn to get to hotel; not sure yet whether arriving to Hauptbahnhof vs. Ostbahnhof), spending Saturday sightseeing within the city, then off to the MUC for a 10am flight Sunday morning. So will be using transit for perhaps 36 hours total but spread across three calendar days, and I'm not planning to head to the airport before 6am Sunday.

Trying to sort out what makes the most sense to handle transport. I think my best options are:
A: Friday single trip ticket + Saturday single day pass (Inner) + Sunday single trip ticket to MUC (2.90 + 6.70 + 11.60 = 21.20 EUR)
B: Friday single trip ticket + Saturday/Sunday 2-day Munich Card Entire Network (2.90 + 26.90 = 29.80 EUR)
C: Friday/Saturday/Sunday 48hr City TourCard Entire Network (33.90 EUR)
D: Friday/Saturday 2-day Munich Card Inner Network + Sunday single trip ticket (15.90 + 11.60 = 27.50 EUR)

Not really worried about attraction discounts but I guess if I get one of the Cards I'll see what matches up. I'm also not entirely fussed about price - convenience of fewer tickets plus option to go out and about elsewhere on Friday if I get in early is appealing.

I suppose my question is just to double check that I'm not missing anything with the above? My needs within the inner zone and then to the airport on Sunday would be covered by these?

I would plan to just buy whatever I need at a ticket machine upon arrival Friday evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.