Wurzburg to Munich

Old Jul 1, 19, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors
Wurzburg to Munich

We are staying in Wurzburg with family for 10 days. My wife and son are big Bayern soccer fans and want to see the stadium to do the tour. We were talking about spending the night or 2 down in Munich. My dad who was born in Wurzburg refuses to drive inside Munich and wants to stay in Poing then take the regional train to munich. Seems like a pain in the butt to me.

I rather just hop on the train and stay inside Munich. Our plan was to do one of those hop on hop off tours, visit the stadium, and Dachau. I seen it before but my wife wants to see it.

I am kinda confused about the trains. Looked on the db bahn website for fares/schedules etc.

attached a screenshot of the booking I created for 3 of us round trip. Does this seem right? I know it shows one night in munich. 160.00 Euros for 3 people round trip? My german dad says that it is wrong and would cost 500.00 round trip.

Old Jul 1, 19, 2:16 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by tantuti View Post
I am kinda confused about the trains. Looked on the db bahn website for fares/schedules etc.

attached a screenshot of the booking I created for 3 of us round trip. Does this seem right? I know it shows one night in munich. 160.00 Euros for 3 people round trip? My german dad says that it is wrong and would cost 500.00 round trip.
To me it sounds normal, would even be able to book it for 140 €. First Class is 190 €. 500 € would be way too much for this short journey in second class. Sorry, but it seems your dad is not very common with Deutsche Bahn....

Old Jul 1, 19, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

here another one i was playing with.

what is city tickets mean? Does mean I can use the regional trains or public transpiration in the munich?

Old Jul 1, 19, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/1.7MM
yes, city ticket means that you can use local transportation in Munich on the day of travel(!).
Old Jul 2, 19, 1:44 am

There is a P+R in Fröttmaning which is right beside the stadium and is served by the metro. You could easily drive there in the morning, park your car, see the stadium, return to your car to get some luggage, take the U-Bahn in the city and spend the night, then leave the next day.
Old Jul 2, 19, 3:54 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Silver, AccorHotels Gold
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
There is a P+R in Fröttmaning which is right beside the stadium and is served by the metro. You could easily drive there in the morning, park your car, see the stadium, return to your car to get some luggage, take the U-Bahn in the city and spend the night, then leave the next day.
I don't live in Munich, but I know some of the free P+R lots in Frankfurt/Main limit the duration of parking.
Old Jul 2, 19, 5:14 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
yes, city ticket means that you can use local transportation in Munich on the day of travel(!).
Not quite right. It means that you can use the local transportation (subway, bus, tram) to get to train station and from the train station to your final destination (for example hotel). It is not a day pass!

https://www.bahn.de/en/view/offers/g...ransport.shtml
Old Jul 2, 19, 11:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you are OK with regional trains I would even suggest the Bayern Ticket: its 25€ per day for the first pax and 7€ for any additional adult. Own kids are free. This ticket includes all public transport in Munich too.

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/...-bavaria.shtml

Advantages

• Unlimited number of trips within Bavaria in one day
  • Travel with up to 5 persons for only EUR 7 per additional passenger
  • Valid from Monday to Friday from 9 am to 3 am the next day
  • Up to 2 adults can bring any number of their own children or grandchildren free of charge
Regional day ticket for Bavaria:

On a day of your choice from 9 am to 3 am the next day
On weekends, holidays (including Ascension Day) and on 24 and 31 December from midnight to 3 am the next day
With your regional day ticket for Bavaria you can travel on all local trains and other means of transport within the area of validity.
Old Jul 3, 19, 11:08 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
If you are OK with regional trains I would even suggest the Bayern Ticket: its 25€ per day for the first pax and 7€ for any additional adult. Own kids are free. This ticket includes all public transport in Munich too.
I'm a big fan of the Bayern Ticket but it does change a little over 2 hour direct trip (with the option of a guaranteed seat) to a nearly 4 hour trip with open seating and a change of trains. It all depends on your cost/time calculations.
Old Jul 7, 19, 11:43 am
Original Poster

thanks for the ideas. I have no problem riding on the bayern ticket. I like the idea about parking at the park and ride and leaving the luggage in the car. Was trying to figure out how about the luggage.
Old Jul 8, 19, 3:12 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
If you have a car all the time I see no reason to take the Train. Munich is not difficult to drive, Arena very easy.

Search this Thread