Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Rudesheim or Bingen?

Rudesheim or Bingen?

Old Jun 20, 19, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SW, Hilton, , UAL plebe, AA plebe
Rudesheim or Bingen?

I'm taking a KD cruise southbound, and will be returning to Cologne from one of these two final points on the cruise.

Which town has more of interest (touristy is fine)? Which town has better train service to Cologne? (on a Saturday afternoon)

Thanks
Old Jun 21, 19, 1:29 am
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Well, regarding train service both are similar.

From Bingen there are two (local) train connections per hour (weekday incl. saturday).
One of them is a direct train (no transfer needed / travel time 2h30mins) and the other requires a transfer at Koblenz (travel time ~10 minutes more ...).
The downside is that Bingen is probably less interesting in regard of touristy things.
Have a look at the city of Bingen`s website: https://www.bingen.de/en/tourism-cul...iscover-bingen

Rüdesheim is much more wellknown among tourists and likely more attractive.
... but train travel to Cologne always requires a transfer at Koblenz. Travel time is similar to that from Bingen but trains only run once per hour.

If you have enough time (I know that´s "relative"...) you might even combine both cities - which is easy as there´s a direct regular car/passenger ferry between Bingen and Rüdesheim.
IIRC it runs every 20-30 mins and crossing the Rhein river takes approx. 10 mins.
Old Jun 21, 19, 1:35 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Rudesheim is very touristy. It has a nice small old town area and you can take the cable car up to the top of the mountain where you get some great views. Lots of restaurants, bars, and other things to see and do.
Bingen is not touristy at all. The Ufer (strand) along the Rhein is quite nice with some Restaurants and place areas for kids, but otherwise not much in the town.

In terms of train connections then Bingen is better. There is approx 1 train an hour direct to Cologne, with more trains with a connection in Koblenz. From Rudesheim then you have no option but to change in Koblenz, and there is only 1 train per hour. The travel time is very similar (obviously the direct train is quicker)

But honestly, as a tourist I would suggest Rudesheim as there is much more to see and do there for you. You could go to Rudesheim and then take the passenger ferry across to Bingen to catch your train. But with the extra time you need to do this I doubt you would be quicker (please note that there is a passenger only ferry and a vehicle + passenger ferry, best in this case is the passenger only as it takes a route better for you).

To put it into context, I live not far away and in 12 years I have been to Bingen 2 or 3 times, where as we go to Rudesheim (or around) 2 or 3 times per year!
Old Jun 21, 19, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SW, Hilton, , UAL plebe, AA plebe
Originally Posted by dj_jay_smith View Post
Rudesheim is very touristy. It has a nice small old town area and you can take the cable car up to the top of the mountain where you get some great views. Lots of restaurants, bars, and other things to see and do.
Bingen is not touristy at all. The Ufer (strand) along the Rhein is quite nice with some Restaurants and place areas for kids, but otherwise not much in the town.

In terms of train connections then Bingen is better. There is approx 1 train an hour direct to Cologne, with more trains with a connection in Koblenz. From Rudesheim then you have no option but to change in Koblenz, and there is only 1 train per hour. The travel time is very similar (obviously the direct train is quicker)

But honestly, as a tourist I would suggest Rudesheim as there is much more to see and do there for you. You could go to Rudesheim and then take the passenger ferry across to Bingen to catch your train. But with the extra time you need to do this I doubt you would be quicker (please note that there is a passenger only ferry and a vehicle + passenger ferry, best in this case is the passenger only as it takes a route better for you).

To put it into context, I live not far away and in 12 years I have been to Bingen 2 or 3 times, where as we go to Rudesheim (or around) 2 or 3 times per year!

Thanks! Regarding the trains, is it best to purchase tickets in advance? Are walk-up tickets significantly more expensive?

Thanks
Old Jun 21, 19, 12:08 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
For the trains from both cities there is no need to purchase tickets in advance.
These trains are either RB (RegionalBahn) wich call at every stop along the route or RE (RegionalExpress) which are semi-direct and only stop at certain stops.
These trains are not capacity controlled and you cannot make seat reservations (which is no isue outside rush hour - saturday is generally off peak anyway ...).
So, the price will be the same no matter when you buy the ticket(s).
There are even promotional tickets availlable that are dedicated to this particular type of trains.
Again these promo fares are availlable "unlimited" even right before departure.
In case you're interested to know more about these promo tickets just PM me.

Search this Thread