Search

What to do in and around MUC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
What to do in and around MUC

Lufthansa sometimes offers extremely attractive fares to those accepting desperately inconvenient schedules, I took up MAN MUC FRA EZE, giving me an 8+ daytime hours in Munich. It was actually perfect for me as it gave me a day out in the city with my sister.

Family ties are not what they were: sister has gone on holiday.

I've hubbed through the airport many times, but know nothing of what's outside. Any suggestions on how to spend a day in and around MUC, the city or further afield? I worked out I can (though probably shouldn't) store my bags in the lounge. Does the SEN part have snooze rooms?

I'd be happy shifting the wait onto Frankfurt, where I can always find something to do. But I don't think Lufthansa's going to play ball with even such a little change to my itinerary.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris63

So many deals to EZE recently ��

Try asking at SEN lounge on arrival at MUC, they seem to be very happy to rebook MUC-FRA flights once the first leg is used IME

Thanks Chris, I'll try that. Though when I've tried funny business before, they've had to call their revenue department - who seem to prefer maintaining fare-rule discipline Still, it could be mutually beneficial if my original MUC FRA flight is filling up.

and, by the way, I posted this in the wrong place. I'll try to shift it
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I worked out I can (though probably shouldn't) store my bags in the lounge. Does the SEN part have snooze rooms?.
Both SEN lounges at the satellite have snooze rooms. 3 in L and 2 in K. Last week, all 3 in L were taken and they called down and „reserved“ one for me at the K lounge.

They also have lockers for hand luggage.

Concerning Munich: depends on whether you have already seen the „standard“ sights. If you have and on a nice day, I would spend a few hours here:
Bräustüberl Forschungsbrauerei München

It can be easily reached on public transport.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:31 pm
Suspended

I just spent 2 nights in MUC, happy it wasnt 3. It was raining pretty uch teh whole time, but I still got everything I wanted to see in

Theres nothing IMO worth seeing in FRA, Mainz was alittle interesting but I did enjoy walking around the Old (rebult to look old) section of MUC. The Residenz can kill 2+ hrs , but my suggestion would be if you were never there go to Dachua, I spent 4+ hrs there, very informative and worthwhile (and it wasnt the 1st camp Ive been to.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've hubbed through the airport many times, but know nothing of what's outside. Any suggestions on how to spend a day in and around MUC, the city or further afield?
Assuming it's a nice day, take the LH bus and get off at the schwabing Nord stop. Cross over into the englischer garten and just stroll down towards the center of town. Stop for a beer and a snack at one of the beer gardens (chinesicher turm being the largest and most famous, well worth seeing), then at the bottom of the park enjoy the surfers on the eisbachwelle. Turn right and if you're into contemporary art the Haus Der kunst is very good. Go through the hofgarten, see odeonsplatz and the feldernhalle.

At this point depending on how much time you have left you can either jump on the ubahn to return to the station to catch the bus back, or keep on walking along brienner strasse, karolinenplatz, the Nazi museum (also well worth a visit) and köningsplatz. Here turn left and walk down luisenstrasse towards the station. Another option from odeonsplatz is to keep walking south to marienplatz and the viktualienmarkt, but honestly I find them very overrated and way too touristy.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
In the center of the city there are like 6 quality art museums -- a good two days worth. There is also the BMW museum that I found to be worthwhile. In addition to the things listed above.
offerendum and HawaiiO like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Turn right and if you're into contemporary art the Haus Der kunst is very good.
And tangentially, the building is noteworthy(?) as a prototypical work of Nazi architecture. If you're interested in medieval to 19th-century stuff, about a block away is the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum is chock-full. It's also interesting as a building, embodying 19th-century grandiose museum architecture. Or, for a different museum experience, you could take the S-Bahn from the airport to the Isartor stop and visit the vast Deutsches Museum for science, technology, engineering, etc. I don't know what day of the week you'll be in Munich, but unlike almost every other museum in town, the Deutsches Museum is open on Mondays.

I heartily endorse the Englischer Garten, recommended above, in good weather. If you want to take in some early 19th-century imperial architecture (do you sense a theme here?), nip over to Ludwigstrasse, which runs N-S a bit to the west of the garden.

I was in Munich for the first time in May, for about five days, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. But, as you may have guessed, I'm a museums-and-architecture fan and like just poking around neighborhoods, too.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
And tangentially, the building is noteworthy(?) as a prototypical work of Nazi architecture.
Iirc in the museum there is one room explaining the history of the building. Interesting stuff!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Go to Emmy-Noether-Straße 10. It is the home of Gasworks Stadtwerke Munchen......

The main gate was used in the Original Chocolate Factory in the Original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.....:

The building Gene Wilder exits to greet the crowd is still there.....

D
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
Go to Emmy-Noether-Straße 10. It is the home of Gasworks Stadtwerke Munchen......
That's an oddball suggestion! However if one was so inclined to go that far out of the centre of town, and if one was into architecture, out there is the Borstei neighborhood, which is a prime example of "workers villages" where wealthy entrepreneurs would house the families of their workers to create idyllic (or dystopian?) communities.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by malmostoso
That's an oddball suggestion! However if one was so inclined to go that far out of the centre of town, and if one was into architecture, out there is the Borstei neighborhood, which is a prime example of "workers villages" where wealthy entrepreneurs would house the families of their workers to create idyllic (or dystopian?) communities.
Its one of my favorite movies of all time.

I carted some Air Marshal buddies of mine out there and to a couple of other places where they filmed and a fun afternoon.

To me, getting out of the main/touristy area was a fun time......
malmostoso and offerendum like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:35 am

Are there any worthwhile charming, small towns accessible by public transit from MUC? I have a similar layover and hoping to be outdoors, ideally in a charming town with hiking options nearby.

(I asked a similar question about FRA and had great suggestions. Hope for as many good choices near MUC.)
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by intltravel90
Are there any worthwhile charming, small towns accessible by public transit from MUC? I have a similar layover and hoping to be outdoors, ideally in a charming town with hiking options nearby.
Freising springs immediately to mind. It is home to what claims to be the oldest brewery in the world, weienstephaner.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by craz
I just spent 2 nights in MUC, happy it wasnt 3. It was raining pretty uch teh whole time, but I still got everything I wanted to see in

Theres nothing IMO worth seeing in FRA, Mainz was alittle interesting but I did enjoy walking around the Old (rebult to look old) section of MUC. The Residenz can kill 2+ hrs , but my suggestion would be if you were never there go to Dachua, I spent 4+ hrs there, very informative and worthwhile (and it wasnt the 1st camp Ive been to.
Probably you have not taken any research before travelling or you are interested in nothing but concentration camps. Both, Frankfurt and Munich have an aweful lot to offer.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by intltravel90

(I asked a similar question about FRA and had great suggestions. Hope for as many good choices near MUC.)
Freising and Erding are a short bus ride away and very representative of small town bavaria. If you want to go a bit farther you can try Landshut which is more pittoresk. Both Landshut (30min) and the very nice Regensburg (90 min) can be reached using the new Üfex rail service that departs from the terminal station below MUC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.