Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

suggestions for destinations near frankfurt....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

will be in frankfurt next month for 5 days with my family (wife & sons aged 6 & 4)....i will be working for 3 days but will have the weekend free before we fly out....i'm looking for suggestions on where we can go around frankfurt for 2 days....

i'm open to driving up to 3-4 hours away & am ideally looking for either a mountain or lake destination....open to other suggestions as well....

would appreciate inputs from people familiar with the area....

Last edited by Keyser; May 6, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The two infant boys make it harder.You might want to avoid castle hotels and cobblestone villages as well as wineries and hilltop villages.

Normally I would say train to Wiesbaden or Mainz for a relaxing and pretty small town if you don't have a car or don't want to drive.

If you're driving, the obvious thing to do would be the Romantik Road, but IMO it takes about three days to drive it in its entirely, and presumably you would need to return to Frankfurt with the car to fly home, so you might compromise and aim for the "Christmas Village" at Rotemberg-am-den Tauber (spelling?), where the Romantik Road and the Castle Road intersect. The two fantasy castles of King Ludwig are father away, closer to Fussen and Lake Constantz.

Depending on the ages, small boys might like fortresses and castles, so driving along the Rhein or going up the Mosel (Trier is nice and has a cool fortress that looks huge and serious) would be fun. Are they toddlers under age two (infants in airline-speak) or true tiny babies?
Old May 6, 2019, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber, and it’s unfortunately far too touristy.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber, and it’s unfortunately far too touristy.
True, but I think very young kids would like the old village as well as the Christmas trees, ornaments, lights, nutcrackers, etc. especially in the summer. Thanks for the spelling correction.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Depending on the ages, small boys might like fortresses and castles, so driving along the Rhein or going up the Mosel (Trier is nice and has a cool fortress that looks huge and serious) would be fun. Are they toddlers under age two (infants in airline-speak) or true tiny babies?
my apologies....i wrote 'child' & my ipad auto corrected it to 'infants' for some reason....they are aged 6 & 4....
Old May 7, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
For kids the Frankfurt Zoo https://www.zoo-frankfurt.de/ihr-zoo...resse-anfahrt/ or the outdoor Opel-Zoo https://www.opel-zoo.de/de/site__171/ might be interesting. Alternative you can drive to the Roman fort Saalburg Saalburgmuseum, where you can visit a complete historic Roman fort (be aware they only accept cash, no debit or credit cards) and learn something about the Romans and the Limes border which separated the Roman Empire from Germania.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:08 am

Programs: FB Gold
Just a word of advice being a local, driving can be a pain on the weekends, particularly given all the holidays in June. Between the vacation traffic, road works, holidays......driving time can easily double.

But to answer your question, there's the Black Forest/Freiburg Breisgau to the south, and Würzburg and Spessart region to the east if you want a light taste of Bavaria.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
In terms of nice cities these three within driving distance come to mind:
- Würzburg (1.3 hours from Frankfurt)
- Marburg (1 hour from Frankfurt)
- Bamberg (2.5 hours from Frankfurt)

I can support the suggestion with the Saalburg. The Hessenpark (which is about a 25-30 minute drive) from Frankfurt. In terms of castles, Castle Alsbach and Castle Auerbach are both about a 45 minute drive to the South of Frankfurt in the Bergstraße region. The Taunus lies directly to the North-West of Frankfurt. You can take the U3 to the end station Oberursel-Hohemark and start hiking from there.

That being said, two days on a weekend can easily be spent in Frankfurt. You can go swimming in a public swimming facility (Brentanobad is nice), walk through the old town and sit outside in the garden of an apple wine restaurant. You can also take a small river cruise on the Main river. If you're more into swimming lakes, the "Langener Waldsee" is directly to the South of Frankfurt. If you're also into waterskiing and wakeboarding, the Wakeport to the West of the airport is a great place to hang out.
Old May 8, 2019, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

thank you everyone for the suggestions....i will look at all the options over the weekend & get back if i have any questions....
Old May 8, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
One more idea if you want it to be kid centric.
EuropaPark in Rust, Germany. 2.5 hours away. One of the largest amusement parks in Europe.
https://www.europapark.de/en

Or how about a thermal bath in Baden Baden?
https://visit.baden-baden.de/en/heal.../thermal-baths
Old May 9, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
A thermal bath can be done in the Kaiser-Friedrich-Therme in Wiesbaden as well. And that is only a 30 minute car ride from Frankfurt.

Sidenote: It shows that we have many people from the US here in this forum No sane German would ever travel from Frankfurt to Baden-Baden just for a thermal bath. Too far away. That's just not how we tick here.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Go visit my hometown.... Aschaffenburg. Less than an hour on the A3 Autobahn.

Very cool castle, nice walk-platz with tons of stores, good places to eat, a HUGE park with castle ruins in it, and very walk-able if you take the train from FRA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aschaffenburg
Old May 12, 2019, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
If you are looking for a lakes and mountains destination, Bodensee (Lake Constance) takes some beating. Ravensburger Spieleland (a large play park) is just up the road for the kids.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
If you are looking for a lakes and mountains destination, Bodensee (Lake Constance) takes some beating. Ravensburger Spieleland (a large play park) is just up the road for the kids.
(...) That's easily a 4-6 hour drive on the weekend in one direction. That is time that could be incredibly better spent in and around Frankfurt.

Last edited by FLYGVA; May 14, 2019 at 11:28 pm Reason: personal part edtied out of post
Old May 12, 2019, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by SunshineStay
(...) That's easily a 4-6 hour drive on the weekend in one direction. That is time that could be incredibly better spent in and around Frankfurt.
Maybe that decision is better made by the OP? (...)

Last edited by FLYGVA; May 14, 2019 at 11:29 pm Reason: quoted post was edited, comment about deleted quoted part was edited

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.