Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

What's going on in Frankfurt. Hotel prices are through the roof during Mar 12-14th

What's going on in Frankfurt. Hotel prices are through the roof during Mar 12-14th

Old Mar 9, 19, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott BonvAnnoyed

Is there any special event taking place in Frankfurt where all the hotels where I usually stay (points or cash) are ridiculously expensive. Hamptons inn/HIE are over 400 Euro each and some even are not available either on points or cash.

Last edited by ali7204; Mar 10, 19 at 12:05 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 9, 19, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ali7204 View Post
Is there any special event taking place in Frankfurt where all the hotels where I usually stat (points or cash) are ridiculously expensive. Hamptons inn/HIE are over 400 Euro each and some even are not available either on points or cash.
Is it this: https://www.tradefairdates.com/ISH-M...rankfurt.html?
Old Mar 9, 19, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott BonvAnnoyed
That must be it. Terrible timing on my part for a trip to Frankfurt.
Old Mar 10, 19, 10:33 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ali7204 View Post
That must be it. Terrible timing on my part for a trip to Frankfurt.
I was lucky that I had camping gear once when driving across Pennsylvania as every hotel along the route had been filled by a convention. There is talk that if the Democrats hold their convention in Milwaukee then every hotel within 100 miles or so will be full.
Old Mar 10, 19, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Glad I'm only flying through FRA on the 13th but that does explain why plane tix were so expensive on the bookend dates.
Old Mar 10, 19, 11:00 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
Also a problem in Düsseldorf and Köln (and I assume others). A couple of times I've bought airline tickets before checking hotels and got burned.
Old Mar 18, 19, 4:27 pm

Programs: Qantas
I just had the same shock looking for places in Köln 4th to 7th October 2019. upwards of $1500 for a 2 star place. I wonder if its another event.
Old Mar 19, 19, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by codQV View Post
I just had the same shock looking for places in Köln 4th to 7th October 2019. upwards of $1500 for a 2 star place. I wonder if its another event.
That's right in the middle of Anuga. It's the worlds largest trade fair for the food industry!
Old Mar 19, 19, 6:45 am

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
That's right in the middle of Anuga. It's the worlds largest trade fair for the food industry!
Ahh appreciate the info, I was trying to look up potential events but Anuga did not come up!
Old Mar 21, 19, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Frankfurt hotel prices fluctuate wildly depending on trade fairs. I'm fortunate to be staying next month when there's nothing happening, and prices are a third or even a quarter of what I've seen during peak periods.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: