Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt local food recommendations

Old Nov 30, 18, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC Silver

What are the must go to restaurants in Frankfurt that serve local dishes? Not the fancy expensive ones.
Old Nov 30, 18, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Eisben (roasted pork knuckle). I think the apple wne (ebbewoi) bars in Sachsenhausen would be your best bet.
Old Dec 1, 18, 4:02 am

Programs: M&S, Radisson
- Apfelwein Wagner or Ebbelwoi Unser
They serve all the typical dishes. Most take the form of (meat or sausage) + bread or (meat or saugage) + potatoes. Then, there's also the famous "Handkaes mit Musik" (cheese + bread). Another local favorite is Green sauce (but only order this between May and September or so).

- Aroma Falafel
Not really a restaurant but a fast-food joint. Have a falafel-hummus. This may seem an odd suggestion as the food is Lebanese-inspired. However, this type of food has a huge tradition in Germany. Remember that a related dish, the doner kebab sandwich, wasn't invented in the Middle East but in Berlin, Germany!

- Best Worscht in Town
Another fast food option. Sausages.

- Restaurant Klosterhof.
Simple restaurant. German cuisine, including local specialties. TBH, it's not one of my favorites in Frankfurt but it's solid enough. I think it goes in the direction you are looking for and I can attest it's not a complete "tourist rip-off" kind of place.
Old Dec 1, 18, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA/Hyatt/Marriott/Movenpick/Hilton
Behind/Adjacent the Steigenberger Airport Hotel, Frankfurt: Restaurant Unterschweinstieg

https://www.steigenberger.com/en/hot...rschweinstiege

If you like meat.... they have this huge dish of 4-5 meats. Huge servings.

When I was working over there, all my FAM buddies loved eating there......
Old Dec 1, 18, 11:30 pm

Another thought is O'Reilly's Irish Pub across from the Main Hauptbahnoft.

Good/decent priced food and beverages.

They play US and European Sports if you are into that.
Old Dec 3, 18, 3:45 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by Bearcat06 View Post
Another thought is O'Reilly's Irish Pub across from the Main Hauptbahnoft.

Good/decent priced food and beverages.

They play US and European Sports if you are into that.
Honestly, in this case, I completely disagree. I have been there twice after meetings before catching the train back home. And in both cases, I can summarize the experience as overpriced, low quality and loud - and of course not local. But of course we just might have been unlucky ...
If you want to have better international food options, go to Kaisterstraße. There a number of quite good and reasonable prices restaurant from various regions.

In regard to local food, I like to suggest Zum Feuerrädchen - Ihre Äppler Gaststätte in Sachsenhausen and https://www.eichkatzerl.de/ - both do not trake credit cards
Old Dec 3, 18, 8:28 am

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by FLYGVA View Post
If you want to have better international food options, go to Kaisterstraße. There a number of quite good and reasonable prices restaurant from various regions.
Most places on the Kaiserstr. are a bit touristy. The better options are closer to the Muenchener Str. which runs parallel to the Kaiserstr. For drinks, go to Bar Plank (always busy, though), Yok Yok (actually, a convenience store which lots of young people (ab)use as a place to go for drinks), or the Moseleck (famous, seriously run-down dive bar). For food, check out Maxie Eisen or Walon & Rosetti.

In regard to local food, I like to suggest Zum Feuerrädchen - Ihre Äppler Gaststätte in Sachsenhausen and https://www.eichkatzerl.de/ - both do not trake credit cards
+1 (those are similar to the Apfelwein Wagner and Ebbelwoi Unser I mentioned)
flyingfkb likes this.
Old Dec 3, 18, 8:47 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Two additional alternatives for local Frankfurt cuisine. As mentioned above make sure to have enough cash with you since these old-fashioned places often do not take credit cards

Apfelwein Restaurant Fichtekränzi, Frankfurt am Main, Sachsenhausen, Germany

ATSCHEL Applewine Restaurant Frankfurt am Main Germany +49(0)69 - 61 92 01 Welcome

The Moseleck is really something :-)
Old Dec 5, 18, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by FLYGVA View Post
Honestly, in this case, I completely disagree. I have been there twice after meetings before catching the train back home. And in both cases, I can summarize the experience as overpriced, low quality and loud - and of course not local.
Interesting. I've never, ever had any issues there with the food/services. As for prices, I lived in Stuttgart which is WAY over priced on everything so the prices didn't bother me or the folks I was with at all.
Old Dec 5, 18, 6:01 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
For the typical apple wine restaurants, try these:
  • Apfelwein Wagner (pretty touristy)
  • Gemahltes Haus (touristy as well)
  • Feuerrädche
  • Germania
  • Fichtekränzi
  • Lorsbacher Thal (has over 250 different apple wines and ciders available)

If you want the local cuisine a little bit more on the higher end (but not yet fine-dining level)
  • Zur Golden Kron
  • Gasthaus zum Stöffche
  • Schuch's Restaurant
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Go easy on the Apfelwein if you are not used to it.
Old Dec 6, 18, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Go easy on the Apfelwein if you are not used to it.
No kidding. When I was young and dumb stationed there working for Uncle Sam.....we would do "shot bottles" of that stuff for some silly reason. ugh.

I can barely small that stuff without getting sick now days.

Search this Thread