FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   Cologne (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1938796-cologne.html)

egoud Nov 3, 2018 2:55 pm

Cologne

Going to Cologne on the 22nd of Dec for 2 days, any suggestions are much appreciated :)

ralfkrippner Nov 4, 2018 3:25 am

Hi egoud and welcome to flyertalk.

Any specific areas of interest like dining, hotels, visiting the area or museums etc...? Your question is a bit broad...

LondonElite Nov 4, 2018 4:03 am

I think there is a large church near the city centre. That may be worth checking out. At that time of year there may also be some outdoor stalls selling food, drink, and seasonal trinkets.

MSPeconomist Nov 4, 2018 4:17 am

Yeah, and that church is pretty old. It's close to a big train station.

TheMadBrewer Nov 4, 2018 2:57 pm

I've enjoyed the Cologne Christmas Markets but I've not been there that late in December.

I found the Römisch-Germanisches Museum near the cathedral to be very interesting. Stuff from the days when it was a Roman town.

And go have a Kölsch -- Früh am Dom is the closest to the cathedral, Pfäffgen on Friesenstraße or Malzmühle at Heumarkt are better beers :)

offerendum Nov 5, 2018 7:50 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30390952)
I think there is a large church near the city centre. That may be worth checking out. At that time of year there may also be some outdoor stalls selling food, drink, and seasonal trinkets.

Do you talk about Groß St. Martin or St. Andreas?

LondonElite Nov 5, 2018 8:11 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 30395158)
Do you talk about Groß St. Martin or St. Andreas?

Haha! No, I meant the slightly larger one. It is a bit blackened but should be visible from many parts of the city.

offerendum Nov 5, 2018 9:21 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30395245)
Haha! No, I meant the slightly larger one. It is a bit blackened but should be visible from many parts of the city.

Ah, St. Petrus. Yes, may be visionable......

Regarding the OPs question it´s really hard without more Information.

LondonElite Nov 5, 2018 9:48 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 30395507)
Ah, St. Petrus. Yes, may be visionable......

Regarding the OPs question it´s really hard without more Information.

I'm impressed with your knowledge of Cologne's houses of worship!

offerendum Nov 5, 2018 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30395607)
I'm impressed with your knowledge of Cologne's houses of worship!

I raised up with weekend tours like "Die romanischen Kirchen von Köln";) No fear, I know this one doesn´t belong to them….

pbiflyer Nov 5, 2018 7:54 pm

Stroll the pedestrian mall, drink gluhwein bought from one of the outdoor vendors.

Do not, repeat do not remark that you really don't like Kolsch bier in a crowded bar, unless you want to relive the scene from Frankenstein where the villagers came out with pitchforks and torches. (Not that I am speaking from personal experience of course, and on a completely separate note, one day I hope to be allowed to return to Koln.) :D

pbiflyer Nov 5, 2018 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer (Post 30392919)
I've enjoyed the Cologne Christmas Markets but I've not been there that late in December.

I found the Römisch-Germanisches Museum near the cathedral to be very interesting. Stuff from the days when it was a Roman town.

And go have a Kölsch -- Früh am Dom is the closest to the cathedral, Pfäffgen on Friesenstraße or Malzmühle at Heumarkt are better beers :)

The Christmas markets in Cologne are open through the 23rd.

LondonElite Nov 5, 2018 10:49 pm

It seems this poster is also going to Japan with no plans on what to do. Wondering if we are being trolled.

offerendum Nov 6, 2018 3:11 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 30398389)
It seems this poster is also going to Japan with no plans on what to do. Wondering if we are being trolled.

Possibly. But to be fair many answers here were also not 100% serious;)

LondonElite Nov 6, 2018 4:47 am

Are you pulling my leg again?