Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

FRA: Shower, passport control and car rental -- est time?

Old Oct 14, 18, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Hi FRA experts,

I will be flying to FRA in early November to visit a customer in Bingen, and I am trying to find the most feasible options considering that I need to make the whole PDX to FRA trip as short as possible. Ideally, I would like to depart one day before I have to be in FRA. The two shortest flights I found are:
  1. PDX -> YVR -> FRA (12h 30m) arriving at 08:05
  2. PDX -> IAD -> FRA (13h 55m) arriving at 07:10
Assuming that I will have to be at a customer's site by 10:00, will I have enough time to:
  • Take a shower at FRA
  • Go through passport control
  • Rent a car; and
  • Drive about 60 km to Bingen?
The actual driving part should take about 50 mins (via A60). My understanding--which might be wrong--is that both flights will arrive at or around Gates A/Z 25. Option #1 (LH 493) is more preferable in terms of comfort and landing on-time. Option #2 (UA 989) simply arrives an hour earlier, but it's more prone to being late. I will be travelling with carry-on only.

Is option #1 realistic at all? Basically, I will have only 1 hour between landing and leaving the airport in a rental car. Looks like option #2 is much more realistic, but are there any caveats I may not be aware of? Your feedback would be highly appreciated!

Last edited by König; Oct 14, 18 at 1:13 am Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 14, 18, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
The question you should be asking is: what if I am not in Bingen at 1000? What if I arrive at 1030? 1100? Will my customer/client be ok with that?
If you have absolutely have to be there at 1000, then you need to allow yourself the most time.
You are leaving yourself little margin for error ... option #1 would be a non-starter for me.
LH493 is more likely to get an A gate ...
Then you will walk to the exit and through immigration.
The only lounge you can access is the Welcome Lounge.
After your shower, then you will need to go to the car rental garage.
Will your car be ready? Will you want an upgrade?
UA989 invariably gets a remote stand (V129 or similar) that means a bus to the terminal.
So factor that in.
Then, have you accounted for traffic on the road to Bingen?
Old Oct 14, 18, 9:46 am
Original Poster

UAPremExecFlyee, thanks for your feedback. Yes, I do have to be there at 10:00, so I guess I won't be considering option #1 at all.

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
LH493 is more likely to get an A gate ...
Then you will walk to the exit and through immigration. The only lounge you can access is the Welcome Lounge
I read that some showers are located near gates A50 and Z50, which would be on the airside, correct? Is there a way to get from A25 to A50?

UA989 invariably gets a remote stand (V129 or similar) that means a bus to the terminal.
I watched a few YouTube videos of UA flights from IAD to FRA, and they all seemed to get a gate. Of course, a bus would be slower. For some reason, I was under impression that all widebody transcontinental flights would get a gate at FRA. A lot of incorrect assumptions on my part
Old Oct 14, 18, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
The lounges you mention are departure lounges ... and you are arriving on UA.
As already mentioned, you can use the Welcome Lounge that is landside.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Oct 14, 18 at 9:51 pm Reason: added lounge link
Old Oct 16, 18, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Without getting into the minutiae of all the things that could go wrong (for example, you may end up waiting 30 minutes for a free shower), if you absolutely must be in Bingen at 1000, you really should fly in the day before. Anything else is just pointless speculation about possible on-time performance in the future and weather crystal-ball gazing.
offerendum likes this.
Old Oct 16, 18, 1:22 am
Original Poster

OK, that settles it -- I will arrive a day earlier and will not sweat about all possible things that can go wrong. Thank you for all your suggestions.
Old Oct 16, 18, 2:25 am

Programs: M&S, Radisson
On-time performance of UA989 seems good enough. It's on-time around 80% of the time (actually, it's usually coming in early). And when it's delayed, average delay is 30 min with a standard deviation of 25 min. Maximum delay observed according to the free flightstats data was 82 min.

So, given you're delayed (happens 20% of the time) there's only a 15% chance the delay will be greater than 55 min. 50% of the delayed flights will be less than 30 min late. 85% of the delayed flights will be less than 55 min late. I've simplified here and assumed delays are normally distributed.

On GF, I also see the option to route through ORD, being on a flight that comes in at 05:45.
Old Oct 18, 18, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1flyer View Post
On GF, I also see the option to route through ORD, being on a flight that comes in at 05:45.
I found that too, but then I thought that it wouldn't wise to have a full day of presentations and meetings after a 13-hour flight. Plus, I can't sleep on a plane no matter how long the flight is and no matter how hard I try to.

Search this Thread