FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany-626/)
-   -   MUC Trainstation HELP (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germany/1934247-muc-trainstation-help.html)

NWplatinum Oct 6, 2018 1:21 pm

MUC Trainstation HELP

Last time I arrived in Munich I was supposed to take the train to my friends house in Augsburg. There was about five minutes after I collected my checked luggage to get the next train, so I ran as fast as I could and I ended up exiting into that pavilion where the train is just across from. So I ran into where the train was suppose to be, but I think I got mixed up and accidentally ended up in the local train area. I went into a basement that had only two tracks, and one train was leaving and was stopping at every station. At this point I was just so tired I got off at one of the stops and took a taxi to get to Augsburg.

But it was a learning experience and I’m trying to figure out for next trip (next week) where I am suppose to go once I cross the pavilion.

Im suppose to go to Haunstetter station in Augsburg. Where is the train at MUC airport, and how do I get there? It’s my understanding I take the train to Munich HBF, then to Haunstetter. I’m just trying to figure out which train I am suppose to take from MUC airport as once I get to the HBF it should be easy for me. Please be as specific as possible for me to find the right train. I know where the rental car area is and that would be a good point of reference for me.

Thanks in advance

LondonElite Oct 6, 2018 1:26 pm

I’m not sure what you mean, but there are no trains from Munich airport to Augsburg. You have to take the S Bahn to Munich Hauptbahnhof and then switch to a train to Augsburg. Use the DB app or go to bahn.de. Use the S1 to Munich Hbf and then switch.

NWplatinum Oct 6, 2018 1:37 pm

I know I have to get to the HBF as I said above. It was a matter of HOW.

So perhaps I was in the right place? Does MUC have just a downstairs basement with two tracks of trains that stop at every station? Or is there another area at MUC with Express trains to MÜnchen HBF?

LondonElite Oct 6, 2018 2:31 pm

Sorry, I had speed read your OP. Yes, there is only one S Bahn station. The electronic signs will show you the the train stops.

Flying Lawyer Oct 6, 2018 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum (Post 30286108)
I know I have to get to the HBF as I said above. It was a matter of HOW.

So perhaps I was in the right place? Does MUC have just a downstairs basement with two tracks of trains that stop at every station? Or is there another area at MUC with Express trains to MÜnchen HBF?

Is it too much effort to prepare a trip a bit better? Yes, there only is one station at MUC. And there are two tracks, one for the S1 and one for the S8. Both go to Munich Central, one eastbound and one westbound. And everything has been written umteen times on FT and the webpages of the airport, DB and the Munich transport administration will give you every little piece of information you require. Had you done a bit of research only, you would not have thought ypu "got mixed up and accidentally ended up in the local train area".

NWplatinum Oct 6, 2018 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 30286311)
Is it too much effort to prepare a trip a bit better? Yes, there only is one station at MUC. And there are two tracks, one for the S1 and one for the S8. Both go to Munich Central, one eastbound and one westbound. And everything has been written umteen times on FT and the webpages of the airport, DB and the Munich transport administration will give you every little piece of information you require. Had you done a bit of research only, you would not have thought ypu "got mixed up and accidentally ended up in the local train area".

You are 100% right. I failed to do my homework, hence why I am doing it this trip. So both trains go to München HBF, though it seemed so slow that they stop at every single little stop outside of the airport. How long does the train usually take from MUC to München HBF?

AlanInDC Oct 6, 2018 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum (Post 30286723)

You are 100% right. I failed to do my homework, hence why I am doing it this trip. So both trains go to München HBF, though it seemed so slow that they stop at every single little stop outside of the airport. How long does the train usually take from MUC to München HBF?

maybe 40 minutes or so. I think the S8 might be slightly faster from the airport though not sure

LondonElite Oct 6, 2018 11:53 pm

There is currently work being done on the S8 line, not sure when it will be finished.

david7031 Oct 7, 2018 1:24 am

There are no express trains from MUC to Munich Hauptbahnhof. They all stop at every station. If you want a more convenient connection to express trains, you'll have to fly into Frankfurt... :-)

skywardhunter Oct 7, 2018 1:32 am

You were on the right train, as others have said, it takes about 40 mins.

NWplatinum Oct 7, 2018 4:07 am

Thanks to everyone for the clarification.

FLYGVA Oct 9, 2018 4:32 am

If you want to go from Munich Airport to Augsburg, you can try Flixbus

https://www.flixbus.de/busverbindung...chen-flughafen or https://www.flixbus.de/busfahrplan-b...chen-flughafen

The stop in Ausburg ist not downtown but connected to public transportation.