Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Is there a hotel at or next to the Stuttgart Bad-Cannstatt train station?

Old Oct 6, 18, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt

in 2019 a bunch of us will be in Munich for Oktoberfest again but then a few of us plan to check out the Volkfest in Bad Cannstatt Stuttgart. We want to get a hotel like right near or at its train station. I am searching online and donít care if itís a chain or points hotel but if any here have ever been there and have any ideas, please share.

Thanks
MM

Last edited by Marathon Man; Oct 6, 18 at 6:43 am
Old Oct 6, 18, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
in 2019 a bunch of us will be in Munich for Oktoberfest again but then a few of us plan to check out the Volkfest in Bad Cannstatt Stuttgart. We want to get a hotel like right near or at its train station. I am searching online and don’t care if it’s a chain or points hotel but if any here have ever been there and have any ideas, please share.

Thanks
MM
Was the alternatives you found when searching not acceptable?

Searching for
'Hotel Stuttgart Cannstadt', Google returns a map with half a dozen hotels less than Ĺ mile from the train station. From hostel level and upwards.

As I never stayed in this part of the town, I can't give any recommendations. OTOH, it sounds from your plans, that the main attractions are outside any hotel, though.

The only brand I recognize is Ibis, IMHO often a basic+ place to stay.
Old Oct 6, 18, 10:52 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to FT Germany Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 6, 18, 1:02 pm

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Hilton GI, B&B (*very* basic), Motel One (basic) and none-chain hotels are nearby.
Old Oct 6, 18, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all

I can see where the train station is on a map with relation to the fest, which is a 9 min walk from the train station, so I am just looking for a basic hotel between the two and not like the other direction or something. Not a hostel. My online searching always leads me to booking.com listings. I am just on a phone now so maybe thatís why.
Old Oct 6, 18, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1flyer View Post
Hilton GI, B&B (*very* basic), Motel One (basic) and none-chain hotels are nearby.
what might the names of some of these non chain hotels be?
Old Oct 6, 18, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The thinking is to get off train, walk to a hotel, check in fast and drop bags we will have with us, walk to fest and get there by noon before it fills up as we dont plan to reserve a table and wont really have enough people to do that anyway. We figure getting into a tent at the fest on a monday by noon should be ok but if itís like munich Oktoberfest then you kinda want to not dilly dally. So our hotel has to be close by so we can unload our luggage. We would be arriving by train into Stuttgart at the bad-cannstatt station just after 11am.
Old Oct 7, 18, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, ICH Plat, HH Silver, DB BahnComfort
If you do a Google search, be sure to enter "Bad Canstatt". If you spell it "stadt", it may not find the right town...

I have heard that the Attimo Hotel, which is about 200m from the station, is basic but clean and quiet.

For any hotel in Bad Canstatt during the Volksfest: book *way* in advance. Even then, the prices will be inflated. But if you want to be within walking distance to one of the biggest beer festivals in Germany, you will have to accept that!
Old Oct 7, 18, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david7031 View Post
If you do a Google search, be sure to enter "Bad Canstatt". If you spell it "stadt", it may not find the right town...

I have heard that the Attimo Hotel, which is about 200m from the station, is basic but clean and quiet.

For any hotel in Bad Canstatt during the Volksfest: book *way* in advance. Even then, the prices will be inflated. But if you want to be within walking distance to one of the biggest beer festivals in Germany, you will have to accept that!
that is exactly what I want! When googling I had probably seen that name pass by but with no actual reference points other than too many hotels.com or booking.com pop ups while only able to search from my phone so far, I needed to be sure of a good hotel location.

Yes, ďstadtĒ would have been Dutch lol

so we will be finalizing plans for 2019 in a couple of weeks and will book it promptly! Itís a 9 min walk to the fest!

Danke mein Freund

Old Oct 9, 18, 4:23 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Given you descriptuon "walk to the hotel", the Hilton Garden Inn might no fit to this description. It is however possible to walk from the Hilton Garden in to the "Volksfest"
Old Oct 9, 18, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYGVA View Post
Given you descriptuon "walk to the hotel", the Hilton Garden Inn might no fit to this description. It is however possible to walk from the Hilton Garden in to the "Volksfest"
correct. Itís not like itís a huge deal and walking is not a real problem... itís more a matter of time and convenience. So the Attimo hotel mentioned above seems to fit best. It is not yet bookable for late September 2019.

In Munich, I have landed at the airport at 09:35. Grab bags and take train to Munich Hfb. Walk across street to my favorite hotel, Le Mťridien Munich, which is doable on points and right next to the train station. Check in, drop bags and put on my lederhosen and then walk to Oktoberfest. I can be in a large tent by noon. If itís much later than that or a weekend, that wont work. But I know Munich now and can do these steps nearly seemlessly.

For Stuttgart, I have looked into trains leaving Munich and one that leaves at around 08:30 arrives at The Bad-Canstatt station at just after 11:00. This means that similarly, I would need to bee-line it right to a hotel to drop bags, don my hosen and hit their fest and also be in there before or by noon. Assuming it is similar, I should get a table without reservations.

There are too few of us planning this segment of our journey to justify a reservation table. And we have bags because we will be leaving Munich and flying back to the states from Stuttgart. We have bags because a whole lederhosen set up doesnít really work for most carry-ons these days.

So without knowing much about the Canstatter Volksfest, I have to plan based on what I gather online.

added note: I could put the lederhosen on when I leave Munich and then just wear it on the train but I still have to drop my bags off at whatever hotel in Stuttgart especially because you canít really bring bags around the festival. I also know that trying to leave from Munich anytime before 830 just wonít happen very easily. Remember, I will probably have been drinking in the beer tent in Munich somewhere the night before and getting up after that when youíre over 50 like me is a little harder and some may think. Things have to be planned so that theyíre taken care of before youíre drinking. lol

Last edited by Marathon Man; Oct 9, 18 at 4:47 am