Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germany: what's for lunch?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Germany: what's for lunch?

What's the most common lunching option in big cities (Munich, Dresden, Nuremberg for example) in Germany?

Before you write that off as a dumb question, let me explain. I've traveled to quite a few European countries and over the years seen meal habits change drastically. For example, my first trip to the UK, lunch was in the pub, cafe or teashop, my last trip it seemed many of those were out of business in the big cities and lots of people grab a sandwich or quick meal from a grocer or M&S. We found grabbing a quick lunch most days allowed us to maximize our activity time.

I haven't been in Germany in nearly 20 years, so my knowledge of the local food customs is sadly out of date. Do we look for a sit-down place, or grab a quick bit for lunch? Is there a decent casual chain people could suggest? We do specialty dinners, hotel breakfasts and would like an efficient lunch.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I travel solo in Germany a lot and do not like a big sit down drawn out lunch. I go quick and light.

Most big cities have a Vapiano. I like them for a lunch or a pasta dinner. You order at the counter, then pick it up. Pay when done. Nice food.

Dean and David is another chain which has a lot of fresh lunch options. You order, pay, and pick up your food.

Sometimes I hit a Kebap shop in the main train station or in a central square. You can order it and eat it there, or find a seat in the square.

I also recommend the main train station for lunch. It is full of fresh, cheap, quick options.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
What's the most common lunching option in big cities (Munich, Dresden, Nuremberg for example) in Germany?
What a question: pork!

Seriously though, the suggestions of bitterproffit are all spot on.

I'd like to add that you will find a large number of "bäckerei" where you'll easily find ready to go sandwiches and other to-go food, as well as pastries, drinks and coffee.

Try to avoid the "budget" ones, as they generally sell yesterday's product.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver

Do we look for a sit-down place, or grab a quick bit for lunch? Is there a decent casual chain people could suggest?
That really depends on your preference. If you want to sit down you can go for Vapiano, small Asian restaurants (most often run by Chinese or Vietnamese people), some burger restaurant chains like "Hans im Glück" or if you prefer just to have some take away look for bakeries, Döner Kebap shops or your typical international fast food chains inc. McDonald's, Burger King, Subways, etc.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Totally depends on your liking. You can have an extensive Michelin starred Lunch or you grab some bites. Or you do it like me who has most time no Lunch. All options available and no norm.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Just to clarify - we're not looking for chain fast food (McD's, BK, etc.) but rather something faster than a 3 course sit-down meal, and preferably with a local touch. Skipping lunch is not an option, my companion has metabolic problems and needs regular meals. Dean and David, Vapiano sound like good fits. While not exactly a local flavor, Vietnamese is a favorite - can anybody suggest a place with good vermicelli bowls in Munich, Regensburg, Dresden or Leipzig?

malmostoso, pork's fine, but where? And what preparation? Having once accidentally ordered veal brain sausage, I'd prefer not to make an ordering mistake like that again.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:01 pm

Fleischkäse (leberkäse, meat loaf, not meatloaf) on a brötchen (roll) at the nearest metzgerei (butcher shop). You’ll see a lot of people walking around eating this, at lunchtime, including me.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Your question is not really answerable. Lunch habits in major cities in Germany are really no different from those in New York, Paris, or Sydney. Some people will have three courses with wine, others will have a sausage/kebab at a stand (ie NY hot dog cart), some will eat in their company canteen, some will bring their own lunch. I personally can't stand Vapiano (restaurant prices for self-serve fast food) but I accept that others have a different view. If you are asking about specific restaurants of a certain cuisine in specific cities, I'd be glad to help (albeit my recommendations will not be the cheapest!)
1flyer, :D! and offerendum like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Your question is not really answerable. Lunch habits in major cities in Germany are really no different from those in New York, Paris, or Sydney. Some people will have three courses with wine, others will have a sausage/kebab at a stand (ie NY hot dog cart), some will eat in their company canteen, some will bring their own lunch. I personally can't stand Vapiano (restaurant prices for self-serve fast food) but I accept that others have a different view. If you are asking about specific restaurants of a certain cuisine in specific cities, I'd be glad to help (albeit my recommendations will not be the cheapest!)
Tell me where you'd go for lunch in Dresden or Leipzig if you were looking for local cuisine.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:31 pm

malmostoso, pork's fine, but where? And what preparation? Having once accidentally ordered veal brain sausage, I'd prefer not to make an ordering mistake like that again.
Yuck, that must not have been fun!

I can only offer you accurate recommendations for Munich. As far as pork goes you'll find three main preparations: roast ("braten"), knuckle ("schweinshaxe"), and schnitzel. Each is served with a typical side: schnitzel generally comes with fries, knuckle with kraut, roast with oven potatoes. Of course variations are possible. In Munich you'll find these dishes at any brewery or typical looking restaurant.

In what area of Munich will you be working? It'll be easier to recommend a place or two.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Tell me where you'd go for lunch in Dresden or Leipzig if you were looking for local cuisine.
Dresden: try Zum Schiesshaus

Leipzig: Weinwirtschaft, or Weinstock
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Vapiano can be very different. Last year I managed to nearly get in a fight (he followed mecout of the restaurant) with one of their employees. They employ obvious some evil riff-raff. Otherwise LondonElite is correct, not a great place regarding value. But you know more or less what you get.

@LEBerkäs: You don't wonna know what's inside sometimes....
Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Go for Nürnberger Rostbratwurst, Saure Zipfel and Schäufele.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum

@LEBerkäs: You don't wonna know what's inside sometimes....
That’s why I describe it to others as “mystery meat”.
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

That’s why I describe it to others as “mystery meat”.
I'd have been happier if the veal brain sausage had remained a mystery to me. I was pregnant at the time of that escapade, and let's just say I parted company with it at record speed.

My companion has food allergies, so places/chains with multilingual menus are a must. My college German didn't include gourmet food vocabulary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.