Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

FRA walking from T2 to T1

FRA walking from T2 to T1

Old Sep 5, 18, 4:24 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Lincoln, UK
Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Spire, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Posts: 477
FRA walking from T2 to T1

Can you walk landside from the two terminal with ease?

I have used the bus and the sky tram but by the time you go up to the tram or wait for the Chinese to get there luggage on the bus you might walk it quicker.
Leaping_Deere is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 4:41 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Posts: 372
Yes, you can. But there are definitely nicer places to walk. Try Google Maps to show you the way. According to them it's a 1.5km walk.
SunshineStay is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 5:20 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Munich, Germany
Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Posts: 3,036
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere View Post
Can you walk landside from the two terminal with ease?.
Yes you can walk but not with ease. Bus and Skytrain are still faster.
flyingfkb is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 5:34 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Lincoln, UK
Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Spire, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Posts: 477
Originally Posted by flyingfkb View Post
Yes you can walk but not with ease. Bus and Skytrain are still faster.
I suspect that might be the case but thanks for confirming.
Leaping_Deere is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 6:23 am
  #5  
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rhineland-Palatinate
Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Silver, HHonor Gold
Posts: 2,333
There are works ongoing currently, which might make the walk harder as the curbs will not be accessible.
fransknorge is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 8:07 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: M&S, Radisson
Posts: 761
It's def less than 1.5 km (more like 1 km from outside T1B/T1C arrivals). Also, there is a usable sidewalk throughout (at least there was last week).

The bus or people mover might be slightly faster, but it's fine to walk if you don't have to carry a lot of luggage. Get a bit of fresh air for a few minutes.
1flyer is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 9:15 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Berlin
Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL**; HH Diamond
Posts: 638
Walking might be difficult for the unitiated, since the route is a bit convoluted.
Inter-terminal bus or Skytrain is definitely quicker.
The former does tend to get very full and I concur with your comments about lots of PAX with ridiculous amounts of luggage struggling to get on!
There is also a public bus route #61 which goes from the far end of T2 arrivals level every 15 mins - it is nothing like as crowded and basically follows the same route as the inter-terminal bus - in theory you would need to purchase a ticket for this.
When transferring T2 to T1 at FRA, it really depends on what your intentions are - if you want to catch the S-Bahn, regional or express train, then use the bus, but if you are transferring to another flight then use the Skytrain, which will keep you on the airport side of the complex rather than the rail/road side.
And if you are HBO and are transferring to a Schengen-internal Lufthansa flight departing Termial 1A and you already have a boarding card,then stay on the Skytrain at Terminal 1B until Terminal 1A (final stop) where security is a breeze!
AlienInTheFatherland is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 9:54 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Lincoln, UK
Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Spire, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Posts: 477
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland View Post
Walking might be difficult for the unitiated, since the route is a bit convoluted.
Inter-terminal bus or Skytrain is definitely quicker.
The former does tend to get very full and I concur with your comments about lots of PAX with ridiculous amounts of luggage struggling to get on!
There is also a public bus route #61 which goes from the far end of T2 arrivals level every 15 mins - it is nothing like as crowded and basically follows the same route as the inter-terminal bus - in theory you would need to purchase a ticket for this.
When transferring T2 to T1 at FRA, it really depends on what your intentions are - if you want to catch the S-Bahn, regional or express train, then use the bus, but if you are transferring to another flight then use the Skytrain, which will keep you on the airport side of the complex rather than the rail/road side.
And if you are HBO and are transferring to a Schengen-internal Lufthansa flight departing Termial 1A and you already have a boarding card,then stay on the Skytrain at Terminal 1B until Terminal 1A (final stop) where security is a breeze!
I'm heading to the Messe so its the train to Hbf. I'll decide on the morning which mode to use
Leaping_Deere is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread