Reload this Page >

Where to stay 1 night and drop the car en route to Berlin

Old Aug 27, 18, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Priemier Gold

Greetings all. Mrs_dergon and I are heading to Germany in September. We're doing a combination family and business trip. We arrive FRA and will spend 1 night there (so I don't have to drive immediately after a TATL flgiht ... I always feel unsafewhen I try that)

The following morning we pick up a rental car and drive and visit her family in and around Ohringen for a few days. (Ohringen is about half way between Stuttgart and Wurzburg)

Then I have a 5 day conference in Berlin after that.

I don't want to have the car in Berlin, but the train from Ohringen to Berlin seems like a clunky set of connection doubling back through Frankfurt again. So, I'd like to drive out from Ohringen in the direction of Berlin and find a place to stay one night on the way. Then I will dump the car and train in to Berlin. Ideally, this city would both have some decent tourist potential but also be on a direct train line so I can get an express to Berlin the following day easily.

Ideas?

Thanks a lot for your advice.

dergon

(edit: leading thought is Nuremberg ... but I'm not wedded to the idea)

Last edited by dergon darkhelm; Aug 27, 18 at 11:33 am
Old Aug 27, 18, 12:42 pm

I'd say Bamberg, a UNESCO city with a unique beer (which may or may not be your cup of tea, or better, ashtray of tea). And a 3h ICE train ride from Berlin.
Old Aug 27, 18, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Dresden!
Old Aug 27, 18, 5:51 pm

My Germany advisor recommended that I take the train to Dresden for a day trip if I could find time, so I'd second that recommendation. Last time I was in Dresden was about 30 years ago when it was in the DDR, so it's tempting to see the contrast. I have a 3 day conference in Berlin coming up but am taking the whole week.
Old Aug 28, 18, 3:34 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Obviously it depends on how far you want to stray from the direct path.

If you want to stray a little bit, I would second the recommendation of Bamberg and Dresden and would add Erfurt to that as well.

If you want to take the most direct route, then Leipzig is the obvious choice.
Old Aug 28, 18, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Thank you very much for the recommendations! I'll keep you posted
Old Aug 28, 18, 9:45 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Accor gold, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold, A3 *Gold
Bamberg. Dresden is a long way East.
Old Aug 28, 18, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Bamberg is only an hour and a half from Ohringen. So you may actually cover that while visiting Ohringen.
Adding Dresden only adds a bit over an hour to the trip.

Let me throw out one more idea. Prague. It adds less than two hours to the total drive time. Compact city, easy to see the highlights in one day.
Old Aug 29, 18, 2:43 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Dresden is indeed not a big detour and absolutely worth a visit. Would be my choice and convenient to Berlin.
Old Aug 29, 18, 2:46 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
Let me throw out one more idea. Prague. It adds less than two hours to the total drive time. Compact city, easy to see the highlights in one day.
It's difficult to drop the rental car in Prague.
Btw: Why not dropping the rental car in Berlin after checking in at the hotel. Safes a train ride and shouldn't be substantial more expensive.
Old Aug 29, 18, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post

Btw: Why not dropping the rental car in Berlin after checking in at the hotel. Safes a train ride and shouldn't be substantial more expensive.
I agree. Prague won't work if you intend to drop off the car. Beyond that, I can't really make my mind up about what to suggest to you. If it were me, I'd probably go to Bamberg. It is a beautiful town, and the beer is indeed delicious (sorry Radeberger). From there you can take a train or drive (and drop in Berlin, no big deal). The A9 Autobahn is very good (and the newer sections are smooth as a baby's bottom). Dresden is definately worth a visit, but you could perhaps achieve a taste of this by doing a day trip (via train) from Berlin. Does your schedule allow this?
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 29, 18, 5:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
We did the A9 Munich Berlin last year: the sections from Leipzig to Berlin (built in 2000-02) are currently being revamped and its a pain to drive. Going via Dresden and taking the A13 is similar, they also have three sections being rebuilt.
Old Aug 29, 18, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
We did the A9 Munich Berlin last year: the sections from Leipzig to Berlin (built in 2000-02) are currently being revamped and its a pain to drive. Going via Dresden and taking the A13 is similar, they also have three sections being rebuilt.
Sorry, but to update you, I drove Berlin-Gera-Berlin yesterday and it was smooth sailing. A few sections are still shared lanes, but overall a smooth driving experience, avg speed ca 160km/h.
Old Aug 29, 18, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post

That is what I was thinking when I recommended Prague. A lot of cities have rental car locations near the main train station. We dropped ours in Amsterdam after picking up in Frankfurt. Especially cost effective if you are buying multiple train tickets.
But you do also have to check with the rental car company. Some don't allow crossing boarders into certain countries.
Old Aug 29, 18, 1:56 pm
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
Some don't allow crossing boarders into certain countries.
Or charge heavy fees
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Search this Thread