Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Munich Oktoberfest Questions

Old Aug 23, 18, 3:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

For those who have been to Munich before during Oktoberfest, do you recommend making reservations at the nearby restaurants for places I'd like to dine at? I remember when I went to Nuremberg last year for the Christmas market, it was very difficult to find places to have dinner at as they were all previously reserved. Wondering if Munich will be the same way during Oktoberfest.
Old Aug 23, 18, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Well, you can/should eat at the Wiesn itself, that is part of the point. In the immediate area around the Wiesn, however, does not have anything particularly special in the way of restaurants. For that you should go to the centre/pedestrianised area. While many will have reserved tables, you shouldn't have any problems getting a table. I suggest, for example, the Spatenhaus.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 3:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Well, you can/should eat at the Wiesn itself, that is part of the point. In the immediate area around the Wiesn, however, does not have anything particularly special in the way of restaurants. For that you should go to the centre/pedestrianised area. While many will have reserved tables, you shouldn't have any problems getting a table. I suggest, for example, the Spatenhaus.
Well it's just my girlfriend and I. As a group of 2, we won't have tent reservations. So we will go right at open during the weekdays and drink/eat. But I can't imagine we will be staying in the tent until dinner. That seems like overkill.
Old Aug 23, 18, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then just head into the city centre. Many nice places to eat there.
Old Aug 23, 18, 4:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks! Spatenhaus looks really good, I'm sure we will check that one out.
Old Aug 23, 18, 6:23 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by kapooncha View Post
Thanks! Spatenhaus looks really good, I'm sure we will check that one out.
There are so many restaurants downtown you can choose from. Almost every brewery has at least one restaurant downtown. But some advice regarding Oktoberfest from my side. The atmosphere, beer and food inside a tent can have the "let's stay only 5 more minutes effect" with the result you stay way longer than you anticipated before, I have seen this quite often.
kapooncha, wrp96 and wxman22 like this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 6:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingfkb View Post
There are so many restaurants downtown you can choose from. Almost every brewery has at least one restaurant downtown. But some advice regarding Oktoberfest from my side. The atmosphere, beer and food inside a tent can have the "let's stay only 5 more minutes effect" with the result you stay way longer than you anticipated before, I have seen this quite often.
My gf loves beer but she would be well past the point of blackout before lasting all day in a tent.
Old Aug 23, 18, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My gf loves beer but she would be well past the point of blackout before lasting all day in a tent.
Try for a table at the Käfer tent. It’s a bit more civilised.
kapooncha likes this.
Old Aug 23, 18, 11:08 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist

You have no idea what adventure you will be in, have you?
Old Aug 23, 18, 11:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
You have no idea what adventure you will be in, have you?
Haha well I just know we aren't interested in being those people that pass out by the sides of the tent.
Old Aug 24, 18, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
In the immediate area around the Wiesn, however, does not have anything particularly special in the way of restaurants.
I'd like to disagree
Westend has quite some places that deserve a visit, especially to take a break from the Bavarian atmosphere.

Marais and its evening brother Marais Soir are very nice places, King Loui has yummy burgers, and Caffe' Ristretto has actually good italian coffee and food.
kapooncha likes this.
Old Aug 25, 18, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
I liked Augustine Keller. A bit touristy. But fun. https://www.augustinerkeller.de/home/
I have not been there during Oktoberfest though.
kapooncha likes this.
Old Aug 26, 18, 2:03 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
remember when I went to Nuremberg last year for the Christmas market, it was very difficult to find places to have dinner at as they were all previously reserved.
Oktoberfest is still on my to-do list but when we went to the Nuremberg Xmas markets there was so much to eat, we didn't even bother with anything else. And the hotel breakfasts kept us going until dark (3pm). Ok we were only there for 1.5 days, I suppose sausages get boring after a while...
kapooncha likes this.
Old Aug 26, 18, 2:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Oktoberfest is still on my to-do list but when we went to the Nuremberg Xmas markets there was so much to eat, we didn't even bother with anything else. And the hotel breakfasts kept us going until dark (3pm). Ok we were only there for 1.5 days, I suppose sausages get boring after a while...
I definitely had quite a few sausages at the market I had 3 nights but a couple times just felt like sitting down at a nice place and really pigging out on some German delicacies. I ended up going to the restaurants as soon as they opened their doors and they were usually able to accommodate me even if fully reserved.
:D! likes this.

Last edited by kapooncha; Aug 26, 18 at 2:04 pm
Old Aug 26, 18, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Does anyone here have LH miles? A friend is in need and many things can be done in return
kapooncha likes this.

Last edited by Marathon Man; Sep 18, 18 at 3:13 pm

Search this Thread