Wiki Posts
Search

Munich Oktoberfest Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Frederik123
Unless you have a reservation for a table on the Oktoberfest, try to avoid the saturday as its heavily crowded and you may not be able to go into the tents...
yes I know thanks.

That is my last day there and if I went in a tent it would be from about 10 in the morning until about noon and then I head to the airport. Flight is at 16:00

if I did go it would be to the old weisn

Last edited by Marathon Man; Sep 4, 2018 at 2:43 am
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Each year I have been to Oktoberfest I keep assuming it is my last one (for some time, at least). Through some sort of odd logic, some with me have figured the language was not worth learning but they have been so wrong! By now these mates should have at least learned some basic German and I feel disappointed in myself for not having pushed for this. It is a wonderful language. Personally I can interject enough of the often used Bavarian phrases or words, and well, I also can speak a bit of broken Dutch but it is helpful when people from The Netherlands show up.

On that same note, some of the friends who have gone with me to Oktobefest all these times over the years had never bought Lederhosen. They figured it was not worth it to them to get into something they would only use once or so. They have been so wrong. We all screwed up in our own ways! I feel dumb, and dare I say it, even Trumpish! lol.

Well I guess we should start learning more now so what I think we really need over there this time is a German tutor...She should wear a dirndl and enjoy beer

Last edited by Marathon Man; Sep 4, 2018 at 3:47 am
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
That´s a very special Dirndl

Personally you can´t pay me enough to attend such an event but that´s my very personal opinion....
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
One thought about Lederhosen and Dirndl at the Oktoberfest. It is absolutely fine not to wear them and just to come in regular outfits. Actually the whole Lederhosen and Dirndl hype started mid 90s. Before that even locals wouldn't come in Lederhosen or Dirndl to the Oktoberfest (just check out old photos from the seventies and eighties). Only the German equivalent of hillbillies went in Lederhosen and Dirndl during this time.
The most important thing to remember when you want to wear the traditional outfit is to stick to real outfits and please do not come in some kind of Lederhosen or Drindl halloween costume. Please respect the outfit and wear something decent. Nothing is more horrible than people (tourist as well as non-tourists) wearing cheap carnival like outfits. If you want to make a fool out of yourself this is the way to go.
offerendum likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
One thought about Lederhosen and Dirndl at the Oktoberfest. It is absolutely fine not to wear them and just to come in regular outfits. Actually the whole Lederhosen and Dirndl hype started mid 90s. Before that even locals wouldn't come in Lederhosen or Dirndl to the Oktoberfest (just check out old photos from the seventies and eighties). Only the German equivalent of hillbillies went in Lederhosen and Dirndl during this time.
The most important thing to remember when you want to wear the traditional outfit is to stick to real outfits and please do not come in some kind of Lederhosen or Drindl halloween costume. Please respect the outfit and wear something decent. Nothing is more horrible than people (tourist as well as non-tourists) wearing cheap carnival like outfits. If you want to make a fool out of yourself this is the way to go.
i completely agree with everything you wrote

also the pic of the girl... she is not in a real dirndl but hey in her case who’s complaining? Hehe
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by kapooncha
My gf loves beer but she would be well past the point of blackout before lasting all day in a tent.
I'm not a big beer drinker. But unlike many copy cat fests in the USA, while the beer is important, it's more about the singing, getting to know your tablemates and great food.

The time will fly. You can eat in a good German restaurant anytime..
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxman22
I'm not a big beer drinker. But unlike many copy cat fests in the USA, while the beer is important, it's more about the singing, getting to know your tablemates and great food.

The time will fly. You can eat in a good German restaurant anytime..
for me, a beer lover, beer is the last item on the list of great things there that matters for me

i love the food and the people and the culture and the scene. The music and the jovial and friendly atmosphere etc

obviously beer makes this all easier and is the glue that holds us all together there
i love it
but am actually more into ipa and specifically the ones from new england usa. I think we have the best of those with California right there with us.

What I don’t like about Oktoberfest is if there is that macho thing and it becomes all about people trying to hook up and get laid or something. Glad that happens and hope people have fun but that should be a biproduct not the purpose for going there imo. It leads to trouble and fights, which in my 6 oktoberfest visits I have only seen one almost start once... over some dumb guy liking some girl.

Fortunately everyone rallied and soon he was drinking a beer w new mates and was past it.

While I have enjoyed nights in the tents I tend to like the daytime a little bit better for a couple of reasons. One of them is that you can get your drinking done early and then still enjoy the rest of Munich. If you time it correctly and don’t get overly drunk you can get a good buzz on from a few maß And still walk out of there quite coherent.

Last edited by Marathon Man; Sep 4, 2018 at 7:18 am
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Marathon Man

i completely agree with everything you wrote

also the pic of the girl... she is not in a real dirndl but hey in her case who’s complaining? Hehe
Not a Dirndl at all!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
obviously beer makes this all easier and is the glue that holds us all together there
i love it
but am actually more into ipa and specifically the ones from new england usa. I think we have the best of those with California right there with us.
If you like IPA you should have a look into this beer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-BR...ature=youtu.be and https://sierranevada.com/beer/seasonal/oktoberfest
Old Sep 5, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2018 group plans for Oktoberfest were thwarted but at the last moment, one friend and I did in fact book miles tickets and one nights stay in Munich. He had never been even to Europe so I took him on Sept 25 and we hit the ground running spending all day sept 26 at Oktoberfest. We did more in the am on sept 27 and flew back home that eve! Gone 53 hrs and totally worth it, but now he wants more and so now I have attended Munich oktoberfest with friends 7 times and we plan to go back next year.

But next year, upon leaving Munich, a few of us wish to check out Stuttgart! The Stuttgart Cannstatter Volkfest. My friend from this year’s whirlwind is in as well as others.

Those of us going want to sit with Germans and get into the local culture and not just see more drunken idiots from our part of the world. We may not reserve a tent but have heard that like with Munich, if you arrive early and it’s a week-day, you could get seats at tables.

Is this true?

Our plan might go something like this: Leave Munich by train on, say, Monday, 30 Sept or Tues 01 October 2019 and arrive at the Stuttgart-Bad Cannstatt station at around 11 in the morning. We hope to have booked a hotel right near the train station. If anyone knows of one, please lemme know.

We would drop our bags off at check in and then walk about 10 mins to the fest, arriving before noon. Enjoy beer and food and the people. See the sights and then stay a night at the hotel before taking the train to the airport and flying home from there. Seems that Stuttgart airport will fly us through Frankfurt to fly back to the states which is fine (to be honest, while I find flying into Munich a wonderful experience, flying out if there is awful and long so flying out of Frankfurt will be better and Stuttgart’s airport is small so it will be better as well.)

Do others reading and posting here think my plan sounds solid? Any tips or advice? Can we get on a table around noon on a Monday at the Volksfest? Thanks for any ideas. Prost!”

Last edited by Marathon Man; Oct 6, 2018 at 6:01 am
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
O'fest bookings this year seem to be weak... Marstal has plenty of openings in the afternoon this year. https://www.marstall-oktoberfest.de/reservierung.htm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been able to pull off Oktoberfest 7 times without booking but yes that is a good tent.

We have to meet this year Oliver... it may be my last for a while (I keep saying that). You can let me buy you a Maß or three! I have a sizable gang this year already committed and am there 25 sept to 30 Sept. Then we head to Stuttgart for one day there!

Timing wise, if we do certain tents right, we will weave in and make it work like always.

If you Pm me I will provide more deets...
MM
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I’m traveling solo to Oktoberfest this year (Sep 26-30) and was wondering if anyone had an extra seat for either Friday or Saturday night? I’d be happy to buy you a few beers and/or pay a portion of the reservation price.

I went solo last year and met some awesome people from all over the world, so I’m looking forward another great year. Prost!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I’m traveling solo to Oktoberfest this year (Sep 26-30) and was wondering if anyone had an extra seat for either Friday or Saturday night? I’d be happy to buy you a few beers and/or pay a portion of the reservation price.

I went solo last year and met some awesome people from all over the world, so I’m looking forward another great year. Prost!
get to tents like 10-11am
you wont need reservations

pm me if you want and if we can meet you can hang w us
there 25-30-th
TravelTheWorld66 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE

get to tents like 10-11am
you wont need reservations

pm me if you want and if we can meet you can hang w us
there 25-30-th
Awesome! Where are you guys traveling from?

Also, if you get into a tent early (10am) on a Saturday, do they give you anything that would allow you to return later in the night if you don’t want to stay in the tent all day? (i.e. wristband, ticket stub, etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.