Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Christmas in or around Germany, Austria, France et al.

Old Jun 14, 18, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I would like to spend a Christmas in Germany or in a surrounding country this coming December 2018. A lot of my research keeps popping up as Nuremburg might be the best choice, Prague, Vienna, Saltzburg and Rome also come up. We do want to do some skiing and southwest France seems like a candidate. This will be a trip for our 40th wedding anniversary so want to make it memorable. For our honeymoon 40 years ago we wanted to ski in Switzerland, but had to settle for Aspen, Colorado - not a bad choice though.. Any suggestions, recommendations and thoughts would be appreciated.

Much thanks!
Old Jun 15, 18, 2:32 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Very different locations. Why do you think Nürnberg is the best choice?

Last edited by offerendum; Jun 15, 18 at 2:40 am
Old Jun 15, 18, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Very different locations. Why do you think Nürnberg is the best choice?
I suspect because of the Christmas market(s).

To the OP: I agree you need to be more specific. What do you have in mind? Christmas Eve in a city-centre hotel, or in a mountain resort? Skiing during the Christmas week or after? There are many beautiful mountain resorts in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland that will fit the cliches of a 'European Christmas'. More detail please.
Old Jun 15, 18, 8:39 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Platinum
For an alpine christmas you should go to Salzburg and Großarl in Austria.
Old Jun 15, 18, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
The OP needs to be clear about what he/she means about "spending" Christmas somewhere. Are we talking about the celebration of Christmas, in which case the question is essentially religious. Or are we talking about purely as a tourist, in which case it's better to avoid anywhere which isn't a ski resort because everything else will be closed. Are we talking about Tweveltide (broadly, the period of Epiphany), or are we talking about the commercial run up to Christmas, where everything is open and going at 100mph? The answers will be massively different in each circumstance.
Old Jul 18, 18, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA MM, Starwood LTG
Since OP never replied, I'll try to steal this thread :-)

We are looking at Dec 14-24 DFW-TXL. Our goal is relaxation, visiting Berlin, Christmas Markets & Holiday Festivities. I'm thinking 9 nights is long for just Berlin so am looking for suggestions for an easy getaway for a couple of nights. Air is Oneworld. Hotels are SPG/Marriott. Nürnberg is a suggestion we'll look into. I also noticed Prague is close and we've never been to the Czech Republic, but my wife isn't necessarily comfortable with 'eastern europe'.

Thanks for all suggestions!
Old Jul 18, 18, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by aleksir View Post
Since OP never replied, I'll try to steal this thread :-)

We are looking at Dec 14-24 DFW-TXL. Our goal is relaxation, visiting Berlin, Christmas Markets & Holiday Festivities. I'm thinking 9 nights is long for just Berlin so am looking for suggestions for an easy getaway for a couple of nights. Air is Oneworld. Hotels are SPG/Marriott. Nürnberg is a suggestion we'll look into. I also noticed Prague is close and we've never been to the Czech Republic, but my wife isn't necessarily comfortable with 'eastern europe'.

Thanks for all suggestions!
You could easily spend two weeks in Berlin and not get bored, but I get what you're saying.

"Air is Oneworld" - not sure what that means, but but if you are set on flying only OW airlines you'll have to fly to London on BA from TXL. That's about it.

What makes your wife uncomfortable with 'eastern Europe'? Prage is more-or-less directly south of Berlin, an easy drive of three hours. Beautiful and well worth seeing. You may also wish to visit Dresden (train), or Munich (train or flight) for a couple of days. Maybe a romantic Bavarian mountain inn?
Old Jul 18, 18, 11:59 pm
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
You could easily spend two weeks in Berlin and not get bored, but I get what you're saying.

"Air is Oneworld" - not sure what that means, but but if you are set on flying only OW airlines you'll have to fly to London on BA from TXL. That's about it.

What makes your wife uncomfortable with 'eastern Europe'? Prage is more-or-less directly south of Berlin, an easy drive of three hours. Beautiful and well worth seeing. You may also wish to visit Dresden (train), or Munich (train or flight) for a couple of days. Maybe a romantic Bavarian mountain inn?
Absolutely agree with LondonElite. All the placed mentioned before are worth a visit, depends on personal taste which to choose. Regarding Prague it´s not really eastern Europe, at least it didn´t feel like that. What´s the Problem for your wife

`@ Oneworld: It´s my "main program" but I have really problems to find flights since Air Berlin is bancrupt. Perhapt Vuelling could be an Option but mostly you will have to choose other airlines, mostly Germanwings. If you stay mostly in Germany or around no need for additional flights.
Old Jul 19, 18, 12:45 am
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Silver, HHonor Gold
If you want to stay around Berlin, let's say within 90 minutes flying then you can not use Oneworld as their hubs are on the three corner of Europe. I second Prague, which does not feel like Eastern Europe at all. Kosice in Slovakia for two days could be recommended, as well as Dresden or one of the Baltics (Tallinn or Vilnius).
Old Jul 19, 18, 6:35 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
If you start in Berlin, I would go down to Dresden for sure (train ride takes 1h 48m). If you want stay in Germany and not just spend the whole time travelling from one city to another, go down to Leipzig from Dresden (just 1h 5m on the train from Dresden, 1h 14m from Berlin). Nürnberg is less than three hours away from Berlin by train, so there is no need to take a plane there as well.

As for Prague, it doesn't feel very Eastern European at all, but is very touristy. I would recommend a hidden gem instead: Wroclaw (former German name: Breslau). Beautifully renovated city and very cheap.
Old Jul 19, 18, 8:56 am

Programs: AA MM, Starwood LTG
Thanks everyone.

I appreciate the feedback on Prague. My wife's comment was a quote, and probably ties back to our age and growing up during the cold war. I'm definitely in for looking at train travel; I had forgotten that Air Berlin was no more. It's been years since we've been to Europe.
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I did a great Christmas Market tour a couple of years ago
combination of train and busses
Started in Paris/Versailles; then Strasbourg, Colmar, Nurmberg, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich, and flew out of FRA
Visited 20+ markets. Lots of food, drink and fun.
will gladly share the details with you if interested.
Old Sep 19, 18, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by keisari View Post
I did a great Christmas Market tour a couple of years ago
combination of train and busses
Started in Paris/Versailles; then Strasbourg, Colmar, Nurmberg, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich, and flew out of FRA
Visited 20+ markets. Lots of food, drink and fun.
will gladly share the details with you if interested.
Would like to hear about Christmas markets in Leipzig, Dresden, Nuremberg and Prague if you'd be so kind. Any specifics on food and drink, good, bad or otherwise?
Old Sep 27, 18, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by CDTravel[er View Post
Would like to hear about Christmas markets in Leipzig, Dresden, Nuremberg and Prague if you'd be so kind.
I've been to the Christmas markets in the first three and have photos here:
https://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Europe/Germany

For smaller markets I'd recommend Potsdam (short train ride from Berlin and the market there is all along one narrow street that's about a mile long), Leipzig and Dresden. Nuremberg is certainly large, and you can walk between the markets there, but I actually prefer the markets in Berlin where you have to take local transit to get around to all of them (Alexanderplatz, Charlottenburg Palace, Potsdamerplatz, west Berlin by the Kaiser Wilhelm Church come to mind).
Old Oct 7, 18, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CDTraveler View Post
Would like to hear about Christmas markets in Leipzig, Dresden, Nuremberg and Prague if you'd be so kind. Any specifics on food and drink, good, bad or otherwise?
sorry for the delay in responding
Nuremberg markets are many and large but all seem to be interconnected.
You can walk between them. Especially at night, the city is very lively
Lots of food stands. Unfortunately I eat gluten free (strict medical necessity) so my options were extremely limited overall in Germany
I did eat in this great Spanish tapas style restaurant. Great wine and awesome Jamon Serrano
https://beher.com/producto/nuremberg-alemania/

Search this Thread