Wiki Posts
Search

Alamo rental at Munich airport

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Alamo rental at Munich airport

Hello,
We will be flying to Munich and planning to pick car from Airport. while comparing costs, Alamo shows me almost half price than Sixt/Hertz for same class of car, i.e. Premium Automatic - Audi A6.
Though I am booking at Alamo website, it says that it will be hanlded by Enterprise at this location.
I will have many long drives and next 12 days, so I want to be comfortable. Is there anything, which I should be concerned about, or any other exprerience can tell me ?
Thanks
Old May 15, 2018, 10:15 pm

You don't need to expect any pitfalls. The standard of rental cars - well, all cars - in Germany in unsurprisingly very high. Your car will be in good driving condition and will have winter tires if required. A6 class will almost certainly have a Navigation system. Ask the attendant to help you switch to your language of choice at pick up.

Be aware that there will be restrictions for driving to certain countries with this kind of a car, namely places like Italy and Eastern Europe. They don't necessarily apply to all car classes and/or countries so you might need to switch to a lower class model if your travel plans include any of them. Be sure to check this out in advance though.

Everything else is the same as everywhere else: Don't let them talk you into anything, check the car and tires thoroughly and make sure you have your insurances in place.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Just noticed that Alamo (as well as Hertz) would not allow their premium class vehicles to drive to Italy.
Need to check alternate agency now.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by abhisheks77
Just noticed that Alamo (as well as Hertz) would not allow their premium class vehicles to drive to Italy.
Need to check alternate agency now.
You will likely face the same restrictions from Sixt, Avis/Budget and Europcar. Not sure about the smaller ones like Buchbinder.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by gpia
You will likely face the same restrictions from Sixt, Avis/Budget and Europcar. Not sure about the smaller ones like Buchbinder.
Had a view and Sixt has no restrictions to Italy (Zone 1). Looked for a S-Class
Old May 17, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Had a view and Sixt has no restrictions to Italy (Zone 1). Looked for a S-Class
My bad. I remember Italy being restricted as far down as Audi a few years ago.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

I will have long drives, many of them with mountain drives. Does it make a different, if I rent compact (like Audi A4) or full size (like Audi A6) in driving and handling comfort ?
Old May 17, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I will have long drives, many of them with mountain drives. Does it make a different, if I rent compact (like Audi A4) or full size (like Audi A6) in driving and handling comfort ?
A6 is a Little bigger and the cars often slightly better equipped. On narrow mountain roads a smaller car can be from advantage as it is more agil. Nevertheless both A4 and A6 are not ideal regarding this.

Personally I normally take the bigger car on vacation, but that´s personal preference. Also sometimes A4 (for excample A4 3,0 TDI) and A6 (2,0 TDI) are in the same categorie. One car will drive better/ faster, the other is more spacious and perhaps comfortable.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:12 am
Original Poster

It seems like, only SIXT will allow their premium cars to take to Italy, but it is expensive than others. Still trying to find other rentals too
Old May 18, 2018, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems like, only SIXT will allow their premium cars to take to Italy, but it is expensive than others. Still trying to find other rentals too
Depends on day. Also many companies allow you to drive to special countries if you pax an extra charge.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have not checked myself, but are you sure Sixt allows S-Class into Italy? Anyway, S-Class is way too big and heavy for any fun driving through mountain passes. Get something smaller and more peppy.
Old May 18, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

From different posts, I get that Sixt can allow their premium vehicles to drive into Italy. Not sure about specific models. I am going to call them today and get this information.
I agree, smaller car can be more fun on twisty roads. But its is mostly personal preference.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
OK, I just checked, and you are ok on all cars to go into Zone 1, which includes Italy.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have not checked myself, but are you sure Sixt allows S-Class into Italy? Anyway, S-Class is way too big and heavy for any fun driving through mountain passes. Get something smaller and more peppy.
Yes, I checked.
https://www.sixt.de/php/terms/view?l...DE&style=typo3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.